PDA

View Full Version : [Rejected] zm_arctic_escape_v1 removal

Zargotelc
10 Apr 2009, 06:46am
Map Removal

Full map name
zm_arctic_escape_v1 removal Type of map
Zombie Escape Why should we remove it
First of all no one ever holds the elevator. The whole map is basically a race to see who can reach the elevator and therefore the boats first. Those who are unfortunate enough to be left behind must go through the dangerous process of climbing up the gates, which can lead to death when you make a bad jump. Even if you were to survive the gates, by this time the boats have already left and you're stuck going on a long side path while the people far ahead of you have already set up the tram, headed to the 2nd pair of boats, and are at the final area.

As zombie, I will finally make it to the end only to see the entrance blockaded by a couple of soda machines. Most of the time you can't even get in and finish off the humans.

The map is unpleasant and is often rtv'd after a few rounds. It's not played often, but there are those such as CPEscape that I'd favor over this map. At least if someone doesn't hold the helicopter in that map you can just jump over the bridges and keep up with them.

imkrazie
10 Apr 2009, 07:01am
I think arctic escape is a great map because it forces you to escape from the zombies until the very end, the very definition of zombie escape.

On your points of why the map should be removed the elevator is not the fastest way up, climbing is ( a fairly well kept secret in the escape community...and it should stay that way). Just because people do not hold a boat or tram doesn't give enough reason (imo) to remove a map because you can still reach the end by walking it.

I'll post a demo to show how to climb quickly.

http://rapidshare.com/files/219672132/articrun.dem

basically:

bunnyhop down the hill for two-three bounces (I messed up miserably).

If your on one of the edge spawn surf down the side
-after surfing press and hold space to stay at the top of the water.

then climb

RapBert
10 Apr 2009, 07:12am
I totally agree with zargotelc. This map is just plain boring. Winning just depends on who's first. I don't want to runaway like a coward, I want to fight. I like those maps more where you have to hold a point for a certain time. "Escape" should not just be running away. If I want to run away, I'll play Deathrun or stuff like that.

imkrazie
10 Apr 2009, 07:18am
I find myself on arctic constantly having to run backwards to help get zombies off my back or my teammates back, you are in constant shooting mode...that's what escape is about on this map.

While maps like blackmesa and mines are fun for their holdoff/chokepoints, sometimes we need a change of pace and that is what arctic brings to the table.

Escape: to slip away from pursuit or peril; avoid capture, punishment, or any threatened evil.

Zargotelc
10 Apr 2009, 07:24am
It's a race for first. The only chokepoint is at the end where the humans have spammed the stairway with soda machines. The only time I got through as zombie was yesterday.

The climb up is dangerous and I've died multiple times trying to jump from one gate to another. Slowly I am adjusting to those jumps though. The worst part is not holding anything though. If the boats aren't held you have to endure a boring, long run to the icicle cave.

I admit this map can be fun a few times, but you have to be one of the first on the elevator, and first on boats. The whole race can get exciting, but if you're far behind because some ass didn't hold the elevator and you have to slowly maneuver your way up that damn gate, then some butthole didn't hold the boats so you run the side path, jump the bridges...it's just not fun!

This map rarely involves teamplay at least what I see. It's just running towards the elevator, and the boats. Minimal teamplay is needed. Teamplay would be a map such as SST where everyone is at the end base, or Mesa's boxes before the elevator. What teamwork is involved in pulling out your knife and running through a long path?

yardy
10 Apr 2009, 07:27am
Well I have to agree again imkrazie,

I think its a great map, because you have to use alot of teamplay and its the typical and old style zm map where you have to hold zombies back at diffrent points and than run again :D, so I am against it

Jaffa
10 Apr 2009, 07:28am
The map is a lot more enjoyable with the old physics, where zombies can actually break through the humans barricade at the end

trakaill
10 Apr 2009, 02:07pm
The map is a lot more enjoyable with the old physics, where zombies can actually break through the humans barricade at the end

true!

But this map is epic!
Remove SST2 before you do anything to this map!
This is a real escape map!

XeNo
10 Apr 2009, 02:59pm
The elevators at the beginning are so slow I don't understand why you guys call it a 'problem'.

It's faster to go up the ladders lol. Even if the elevator takes off before you start climbing up the ladders, you can still make it to the top before it if you're good at climbing ladders.

Therefore, like all zombie escape maps, it's a matter of who is good at the map and who is not, the bad are left for zombies.

Zargotelc
10 Apr 2009, 06:09pm
Now that you mention it, I noticed some guy went up the ladders once yesterday while we were on the elevators, he sped by us. I can't do that though, don't have enough skill on those damn gates.

I guess this map is ok then. Now that I think of it, this map reminds me of several other escape maps on the rotation which follow a similar premise. I can hardly consider this map "epic" though, but it's playable.

Shadowex3
11 Apr 2009, 01:34am
If you want to fight go call for napalm to get remade, escape is about a run-like-hell asspuckeringly frightening experience with last-ditch "ZOMG HOLD THEM OFF FOR THE LOVE OF GOD" moment every so often. Every other escape map follows this premise. Island, boatescape, SST, Blackmesa, even the astoundingly terrible spacestation series. You run, and at the end you fight till the nuke comes.

As for climbing... Want to know the big secret? Look up, hold forwards, and strafe into the ladder. THAT'S IT. All you need to do is strafe into the ladder to go up fast, and strafe away to go down fast. You don't even need to jump, just keep looking up and you'll fly off the top of the ladder and land on the next one and you just turn your view to look at the next ladder and continue.

Also, there isn't a single runthrough of arctic where EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER doesn't say EXACTLY how to climb the ladders and how to stand on the edge of the boats or the trams to not trigger them. I'm willing to bet you're one of the teamkillers that just jumps right in and blames everyone else because unless you play without any sound at all and with your monitor turned off there's NO way you could not know how to do any of this.

Zargotelc
11 Apr 2009, 07:08am
Also, there isn't a single runthrough of arctic where EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER doesn't say EXACTLY how to climb the ladders and how to stand on the edge of the boats or the trams to not trigger them. .

As long as I've been around these servers (since 2007) I've never heard any information about the ladders or boats. One thing I do know for sure is every runthrough of arctic, it's RTV'd after at least 10 minutes because the majority of the server disapproves of it. Lately I've been enabling my mic feeds too so I can hear what you all are saying, and this information still hasn't been mentioned. Most of the content on mic is just kids screaming "WATCH OUT FOR THE ZOMBIE! BEHIND YOU BEHIND YOU!"

I'm willing to bet you're one of the teamkillers that just jumps right in and blames everyone else because unless you play without any sound at all and with your monitor turned off there's NO way you could not know how to do any of this

You'd lose that bet. Teamkilled people twice, but that's a story for another day, and those events happened on another map. Xeno remembers.

PS : I use the chat a lot and this information isn't available. Perhaps it's playing at 10 AM when only 20 people are in the server...no one's saying a word about how to climb or not to trigger boats.

Svendy
11 Apr 2009, 07:24am
i really got nothing more to add.
its a map which requires teamwork, like holding the boats and lifts. when your team works togeather its an awesome map

Esta
11 Apr 2009, 08:39am
In my opinion, as making a statement or suggestion of a removal is in opinion, I think this is a great map. Its different, and not that often played. Out of forty humans, usually, only 8 or 10 make it at the end.

BOOWY
11 Apr 2009, 12:55pm
I love arctic escape but that doesn't mean shit when I'm on the minigames server all the time. Just sayin'. :toung: