PDA

View Full Version : Ban After 3 or 4 Bans

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 07:35pm
I find this decision where one person is perm banned after being banned from servers a couple of times, and simple bans which count as 5 minutes should not be counted only serious offences, i think that this rule should be reconsidered to month/months at most, but perm should be something that is REALLY big, like if a dedicated player has been playing for a long time and has broken the rules on little occasions over time should not be permenatly banned but should be given a lesser punishment.

PingPong

Hazardous
7 Apr 2009, 07:37pm
TBH, Your idea is ridiculous, GG.

Dracula
7 Apr 2009, 07:38pm
TBH there is no perfect system for this kind of stuff, our current may not be the best but this would be much worse.

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 07:41pm
ok whats TBH mean haha

Dracula
7 Apr 2009, 07:41pm
To be honest

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 07:43pm
yes but i think that this current system should be discussed some what for i think it is very flawed the way it is now

Dracula
7 Apr 2009, 07:45pm
MMMMMM what improvements do you think could be made?

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 07:47pm
thats not up to me, but personally i think it should be change from a perm, maybe a half a year or something, or a few months but thats my personal opinion

SneakySnake
7 Apr 2009, 07:50pm
PingPong, RimeSoldier had 8 bans. Im pretty sure they were all over 5 minutes too. And I don't see and option in SourceBans to do a month ban? Rime is gone, deal with it.

EDIT w00t!!!! 666 posts!!!!!!

PARTY TIME

:dance: :partydance: :partydance: :dance:

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 07:51pm
yes i understand that but it doesnt change the fact that this system is flawed

SneakySnake
7 Apr 2009, 07:55pm

I don't see a flaw...

Ban Lengths:

5 Minutes
1 Hour
6 Hours
1 Day
3 Days
1 Week
Forever

Every community uses those lengths and it most likely, will not be changed. Pointless thread. Admins and up, if you havent already, go here http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=181042#post181042

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 08:00pm
PingPong, RimeSoldier had 8 bans. Im pretty sure they were all over 5 minutes too. And I don't see and option in SourceBans to do a month ban? Rime is gone, deal with it.

EDIT w00t!!!! 666 posts!!!!!!

PARTY TIME

:dance: :partydance: :partydance: :dance:

GRATS ON THE 666 POSTS xD i understand that but is a perm ban for 3 or 4 bans really a good length

SneakySnake
7 Apr 2009, 08:01pm
GRATS ON THE 668 POSTS xD

You were too late. Fixed.

StrykerSwat
7 Apr 2009, 08:01pm
the reason they have this system is to keep people like rimes that break rules away from the servers
so we can have a better community without them messing up the fun and so that people can try to enjoy the servers

that's y this system is like this
plus ur reason of changing this perm ban system is really dumb
y would we ban someone after a half year for breaking the rules if we already gave him/her 3 changes to change how they act in the servers

SneakySnake
7 Apr 2009, 08:04pm
the reason they have this system is to keep people like rimes that break rules away from the servers
so we can have a better community without them messing up the fun and try to enjoy are servers

that's y this system is like this
plus ur reason of changing this perm ban system is really dumb
y would we ban someone after a half year for breaking the rules if we already gave him/her 3 changes to change how they act in our servers

WHUT HE SAID!

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 08:08pm
no i meant they should get banned for half a year as a substitute to the ban as a proper warning

andre1028
7 Apr 2009, 08:12pm
Just because he's long time player doesn't excuse him from being banned. I've said this many times, no matter who you are we'll still ban you, and it won't be any harsher or nicer depending on how someone got banned.

StrykerSwat
7 Apr 2009, 08:14pm
no i meant they should get banned for half a year as a substitute to the ban as a proper warning

Like I said they were given 3 chances for them to change there act on the servers

those 3 chances are warnings

its like Baseball 3 Strikes and your out

but if the bans of that person is really high the higher ups from the community will talk about it to either give em another chance or to ban them...but 8 has been too many warnings
we let rimes slide for a while but now we gave him a perm ban for a reason not because we wanted to

so tell rimes to enjoy his ban because the higher admins decided to perm ban him

really 8 bans is too many chances that we let him slide by

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 08:14pm
ok fair enough

SneakySnake
7 Apr 2009, 08:16pm

Ok....umm, quick question, if YOU were banned for 6 months would you even bother to come back? I know I probably wouldn't...When I was first banned in 2007 (before admin, also false) I didn't come back for a whole year, and then appealed. I QUIT Css because of that ban, and that's also why I don't care much anymore for ZB/ZM/ZE. I, like Rime, spent countless hours on SG/ZM servers and was with it from the near beginning (under different alias) and I actually QUIT from a false ban that I could have appealed. I think having month bans is a idiotic idea, because if they are a real troublemaker, they can easily come back. If they are persistent enough they will wait the month(s). I personally think we should stick with our current system and keep it that way.

SneakySnake
7 Apr 2009, 08:17pm
Like I said they were given 3 chances for them to change there act on the servers

those 3 chances are warnings

its like Baseball 3 Strikes and your out

but if the bans of that person is really high the higher ups from the community will talk about it to either give em another chance or to ban them...but 8 has been too many warnings
we let rimes slide for a while but now we gave him a perm ban for a reason not because we wanted to

so tell rimes to enjoy his ban because the higher admins decided to perm ban him

really 8 bans is too many chances that we let him slide by

Shit, you beat me to it.

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 08:21pm
ok thank you sneaky and stryker and everyone else who gave me an informitive reply, and personally i would come back because steamgamers is an AMAZING community and i really question a person who doesnt like it but still my personal opinion on the permenant ban is that it is too high but thats just my personal opinion

SpEeD
7 Apr 2009, 08:35pm

UR FLAWEDD

PingPong
7 Apr 2009, 08:39pm
UR FLAWEDD
i must say that was quite rude and a little late :laugh:

trakaill
7 Apr 2009, 10:15pm
Ok....umm, quick question, if YOU were banned for 6 months would you even bother to come back? I know I probably wouldn't...When I was first banned in 2007 (before admin, also false) I didn't come back for a whole year, and then appealed. I QUIT Css because of that ban, and that's also why I don't care much anymore for ZB/ZM/ZE. I, like Rime, spent countless hours on SG/ZM servers and was with it from the near beginning (under different alias) and I actually QUIT from a false ban that I could have appealed. I think having month bans is a idiotic idea, because if they are a real troublemaker, they can easily come back. If they are persistent enough they will wait the month(s). I personally think we should stick with our current system and keep it that way.

you kinda destroyed your argument...we have no proof your ban was "false" tho you came back a while later and became admin...Im sure there are a lot of people around that have new ID's and are on our servers that behave now..
I know nothing is gonna change about the system so Ill just say this, people can come back as decent players it has happen before

Tcp-Kill
8 Apr 2009, 02:39am
Well, put it sweet and simple. Nope. Pretty much, andre summed it up, WHOEVER you are, if you receive 3 bans above 5 minutes (1 hour +) then you will be permed. Being a reg, and being here longer would make people think should we really give him a third chance being here so long?

KaMiKaZi
8 Apr 2009, 03:20am
keep it as it is tbh its working fine atm so why not leave it?

Bubbles
8 Apr 2009, 04:01am
simple bans which count as 5 minutes should not be counted only serious offences,

good thing 5 minute bans dont count for perms already...

Jaffa
8 Apr 2009, 04:56am
This was actually a big dicussion a few weeks ago in the CA section, which we really still have not concluded.

Suri
8 Apr 2009, 06:33am
yes but i think that this current system should be discussed some what for i think it is very flawed the way it is now

It's only flawed for the people that get perm banned.

Did you get perm banned??? Or a friend did???

We do not count the 5min bans as the 3 strikes. This system has worked well for us, and I don't really see it changing.

MrGall
8 Apr 2009, 08:39am
what a pointless thread tbh lol

Gumpy
8 Apr 2009, 09:36am
What a pointless post tbh.

BOOWY
8 Apr 2009, 10:10am
I think 3 or 4 strikes is generous. If you need to be told that many times not to break server rules(through warnings, bans, whatever), then you have a problem. No one wants to deal with your shit, people play to have fun and relieve stress and the last thing they need is to deal with someone making a sloth out of themselves. If your idea of fun is to break server rules, then you get what you deserve.

Why can't you follow server rules? They're not unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. False bans happen, people make mistakes, that's what the demo function is there for. Record everything.

MasterkennyG
8 Apr 2009, 01:02pm
I personally like the idea of a month ban for a multible offender who has some bans that are 5 min..

I also like the idea of maybe if a multible offender appeals on an imported ban adn is respectfull in his appeal.. He can have a nother chance in 3 months.. because 3 months is a sick amount of time.. and it will encourage people to be more respectfull when appealing for perm bans

PotshotPolka
8 Apr 2009, 01:12pm
Personally I'm quite fond of eSharia laws.

chaoslee12
8 Apr 2009, 02:02pm
I personally like the idea of a month ban for a multible offender who has some bans that are 5 min..

I also like the idea of maybe if a multible offender appeals on an imported ban adn is respectfull in his appeal.. He can have a nother chance in 3 months.. because 3 months is a sick amount of time.. and it will encourage people to be more respectfull when appealing for perm bans

I agree with kenny I feel that some of our better players that every once in awhile do something stupid should have something like this as a privlage or so.

CandleJack
8 Apr 2009, 02:06pm
It's only flawed for the people that get perm banned.

Did you get perm banned??? Or a friend did???

We do not count the 5min bans as the 3 strikes. This system has worked well for us, and I don't really see it changing.

His friend rimesoldier was permed

PingPong
8 Apr 2009, 03:09pm

Thank you someone who finally agrees with me, i understand that permed would be serious offence for hacking or something like that but for breaking the reals 3 times, 3 months is fair in my opinion

Huwajux
8 Apr 2009, 03:51pm
Thank you someone who finally agrees with me, i understand that permed would be serious offence for hacking or something like that but for breaking the reals 3 times, 3 months is fair in my opinion
Nah, it's fine how it is now.

jigglebelljr
8 Apr 2009, 04:01pm
I agree with you pingpong but 5 min bans do not count as an offence its does not count as a ban only in prevous offences it does and yes i think if a player is dedicated and gets banned once in while should not get a really harsh punishment good job

Psyche
8 Apr 2009, 04:33pm
I agree with you pingpong but 5 min bans do not count as an offence its does not count as a ban only in prevous offences it does and yes i think if a player is dedicated and gets banned once in while should not get a really harsh punishment good job

They don't. You still have four bans over 5 minutes. :]

Lux
8 Apr 2009, 06:45pm
Sometimes I think that we need to change the 5 minute ban system because people who have been banned mistakenly have their bans lowered to 5 minutes and sometimes people overlook that, unless I'm underestimating the research AO's+ put in with leaving notes and checking them.

Toxin
8 Apr 2009, 06:59pm
Let me just get straight to my opinion:

This 3-strike rule is not a real rule. Actually, no ones are. Anyone with higher authority can make exceptions to a rule, such as the Governer of a state being able to change someones sentence.
Before someone get's permed, he is given chances. We are a well organized community that gives players the privilege to play on our servers and it is not possible to loose this privilege by accidents.
We are reviewing each and every ban appeal brought to our forum, even if it is ridicolus.
People are given chances here, but you cannot say that for every community. This rule is working fine and should stay like this. Three chances are enough. Period.

Suri
9 Apr 2009, 06:51am

We have unbanned tones of people that were imported. If they come and nice and respectful, and we also dont have info on hacking or being a racist we will most of the time unban them for one more shot.

Suri
9 Apr 2009, 06:55am

Well I don't agree with you. I have been here a long time, and before I got admin I never once broke a rule. I took the time to understand what the server rules where, and we have many many people that have also never been banned.

I believe 3 strikes is fair since it's not hard to follow the rules and respect the server you are playing in. Mistakes happen, but not that often.

This system has worked for us for years, and I see no reason to fix it. We have unbanned many people that have come back 6 months later asking for another shot, and 80% of the time we give them that one more shot. I believe we are fair when it comes to bans and perm bans.

i think if a player is dedicated and gets banned once in while should not get a really harsh punishment good job
So if a player is dedicated to our server but also is dedicated to breaking the rules every time they are in the server we should turn the cheek? Jiggle just because you visit the server allot does not make you a great player and should be above the rules. We have people that visit the server every day and any chance they get when a admin in not on the break the rules left and right.

I have said this before. I don't care if you been here 4 years or 4 days. Rules are rules and if you break them you get banned. Those add up to 3 you are out on the e-street on the Internets.

Chobber
9 Apr 2009, 11:30am
To add to the end of your post, Suri..

The point of becoming a supporter or admin, and paying for your slot in our servers is not a "get out of jail, free"-card..
Your money doesn't help your screw-ups here - you don't have any more rights because of your status!

jigglebelljr
9 Apr 2009, 04:05pm
I totally agree with you suri

Resistance
9 Apr 2009, 05:02pm
Rank means doesn't mean much.

But it means you have more responsibilities to look over the community and make sure everything is fine.

As a player, you need to show the new people of the servers or community on how things work so that they too can help other players and spread the word about the community.

As a supporter, you support the community because you want to also support the servers that you play on.

As a admin, you gain more responsibilities and help maintain the servers by keeping the server clean and fun.

As a BD, CA, AO, or President. You have gained much respect and therefor gained more responsibilites because it shows that you know whats right and whats wrong. Knowing what to do, and help improve the community and also direct the community.

So to speak, the rankings are that as you progress. You gain more responsibilities.

~Mod