PDA

View Full Version : Red Alert 3 on Steam

LegalSmash
30 Mar 2009, 03:08pm
It appears as though Red Alert 3 is on steam now for 30 bucks, somewhat alleviating the issues regarding limited installs and Securom. Being the RTS junkie that I am, as well as the Command and Conquer fan. I own the original RA2 release, CC3 and its expansion, and the other tib titles through the collection pack (including generals and renegade). While I am not entirely happy with EA's treatment of WestWood's masterpiece, I'm willing to be somewhat reasonable, if things are still fun, tongue-in-cheek, and entertaining.

So, please give me your honest opinions on the game, try to explain your position by making opinions on gameplay, storyline, graphics, and humor. I've heard really bad things, and I've heard good things about the game, mostly from people who are CC fanatics though, and well, as they say, a husband will always find something nice to say about a wife... I want a more impartial opinion.

How is the gameplay in general? How are the units? How are the multiplayer features, especially this co-op business?

I figure my computer would run it on High-med, with AA turned off, (8500 GT 256 MB, and no I'm not upgrading right now, so don't tell me to.)

As stated above, I am well aware of the securom business, and as steam has the game on delivery system reinstalls are made irrelevant (plus no disc use, yay)... please explain your opinion/position on the GAME's merits, and not copyright/intellectual property theory.

Thanks.

Astrum
30 Mar 2009, 03:36pm
I posted the following on Slashdot some time ago. It's not that in-depth, just a general overview. Let me know if you want more.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3: Yes, I actually bought this game. Or rather, I bought a license which allows me to install it on 5 different computers and that's it. Before we get started let me say I loved the new naval warfare. I honestly thought that was a good addition. I also enjoyed how units had two different "attacks". The music was also quite good. Beyond those few things, there wasn't anything else I liked about the game. A lot of the story was rehashed from the first two, the Empire of the Rising sun felt very awkward, a lot of the graphics were sort of cartoony (yet the water wasn't at all), and EA hired more breasts than writers*.

One thing that really annoyed me was the forced co-op single player. When started to play the first mission it gave me a choice between solo and co-op. I thought at the time that co-op is a great idea and would be fun, but I didn't have anyone to play with at the time, so I went for solo. To my surprise I was forced to play the map with a computer ally (with campy dialogue). Now with C&C games I love capturing enemy bases to win, call it a quirk, but I always found that more satisfying than rolling them with a million units. However, now that I was forced to play with a computer ally with very limited control** either the computer would destroy the base before I could capture it, or the computer would be wiped out and I'd have to guard that flank. Overall I think the C&C franchise is dead.

*I know a lot of people liked the semi-silly style of RA2, I personally preferred RA1, but RA3 took things too far. What's the point of hiring good actors if you're going to force them to act poorly?
**You're basically limited to telling your ally to move to a location, attack a location, or let him do whatever he feels is best. That's basically it. Even when you tell him to move somewhere, say to some large open area where nothing can attack him and he can't ruin your plans, after a while he'll go back to doing what he thinks is best.

James
30 Mar 2009, 04:19pm
I posted the following on Slashdot some time ago. It's not that in-depth, just a general overview. Let me know if you want more.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3: Yes, I actually bought this game. Or rather, I bought a license which allows me to install it on 5 different computers and that's it. Before we get started let me say I loved the new naval warfare. I honestly thought that was a good addition. I also enjoyed how units had two different "attacks". The music was also quite good. Beyond those few things, there wasn't anything else I liked about the game. A lot of the story was rehashed from the first two, the Empire of the Rising sun felt very awkward, a lot of the graphics were sort of cartoony (yet the water wasn't at all), and EA hired more breasts than writers*.

One thing that really annoyed me was the forced co-op single player. When started to play the first mission it gave me a choice between solo and co-op. I thought at the time that co-op is a great idea and would be fun, but I didn't have anyone to play with at the time, so I went for solo. To my surprise I was forced to play the map with a computer ally (with campy dialogue). Now with C&C games I love capturing enemy bases to win, call it a quirk, but I always found that more satisfying than rolling them with a million units. However, now that I was forced to play with a computer ally with very limited control** either the computer would destroy the base before I could capture it, or the computer would be wiped out and I'd have to guard that flank. Overall I think the C&C franchise is dead.

*I know a lot of people liked the semi-silly style of RA2, I personally preferred RA1, but RA3 took things too far. What's the point of hiring good actors if you're going to force them to act poorly?
**You're basically limited to telling your ally to move to a location, attack a location, or let him do whatever he feels is best. That's basically it. Even when you tell him to move somewhere, say to some large open area where nothing can attack him and he can't ruin your plans, after a while he'll go back to doing what he thinks is best.

Yep, the AI ally never sticks to one spot. EVER. Or it seems to build very few units, and have the knack of being unable to replace structures or counterattack

ReGIONALS
30 Mar 2009, 05:51pm
i have never had any of these problems the building on water is a great new addition i like having an AI ally and i usually destroy the enemies base before they do or just build up an airforce and bomb the whole place and expand my base.
go for redalert 3 people will start having mod maps out soon and thats one of the best reasons to get ra3 for computer hence why im selling my xbox 360 version

broncoty
30 Mar 2009, 10:45pm
As a long time RA fan I was fairly disappointed with this game. The only things I like about it are the boobies and one of my good friends has it so we network a couple times a month.

It had potential but yea. RA2 was much better. So was generals.

LegalSmash
31 Mar 2009, 08:14am
I tried the demo on steam last night, here are y thoughts:

I do not get how on earth this game requires a 128, when I started it up, the game had all my settings on low, yet after changing them to high except for AA, which was off, and medium water, the game ran fine, without a hitch or lag in any place. EA needs to recheck their requirements, as the one's they use to determine initial settings at game start.

The demo has 2 missions and a tutorial, and was entertaining enough, the soviet/allied/jap tank conversations are comical, the units appear varied, and the buildings are entertaining. I wonder though, how long will the humor and entertainment last for me?

While I like the 2 attack/feature per unit, and some appear to be pretty ingenious, I would also say that it can get rather annoying to have to switch an entire batch of units switch to the completely incorrect attack leading to a bunch of dead troops. This can get really disconcerting.

Tanya looks EXACTLY like tanya in RA2, except blonde, and I don't really know what more to say about that, aside from a requirement of 128 MB card should give me a better look than graphics that appear to me no better than that required by a 32 MB card. This also makes me feel somewhat disappointed to the lack of animation on the allied units I've seen, the planes don't really appear to animated for the allies, the japs units are VERY colorful, interesting, etc, but as they were not available, I could not really make an accurate comment on them.

I was really disappointed that I had no ability to try the japs in the game, I was eager to try the new units, but go figure I could not.

My gut tells me that I'd kind of enjoy the game, at some point, if the price continues to drop or they couple the upgrade/expansion with the original on steam for less than 40 bucks. As it stands however, I may be trying to wait a bit.

If you haven't tried it yet, pick up the demo for free on steam, give it a whirl, and tell me what you think.

ReGIONALS
31 Mar 2009, 03:25pm
an expansion is in production and should be out very soon actually
and my thoughts buy it on computer its much better when you can play maps made by other people and just have a sandbox game with unlimited money.

Awacs
31 Mar 2009, 09:51pm
I bought it on steam to escape the evil drm, but alas, I bought it before the DRM was removed. (Im too lazy to use the tool to remove it.)

I liked the game, but it was way to comical.