PDA

View Full Version : Legalizing Marijuana?

Mikey
26 Mar 2009, 02:15pm
http://blog.norml.org/2009/03/26/president-obama-what-is-so-funny-about-taxing-and-regulating-marijuana/

What do you think?

Red
26 Mar 2009, 02:22pm
Yes.

We waste WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much money cracking down on Pot.

Seriously, it's ridiculous, the effects of pot are so placid it's completely irrational to have it banned. It WOULD bring in SHITLOADS of money if taxed, instead of draining billions that we throw into fighting it.

I would trade pot for alcohol. How many people get into fights when they're stoned versus when they're drunk.

It would also free up A LOT of jail cells and money into fighting more serious problems/drugs. Personally I wouldn't care if other drugs were legalized, just don't allow employees to come in to work on heroin etc.

But honestly, as someone that used to smoke it in college, it blows my mind that it is illegal. I did WAY more stupid/dangerous shit when I was drunk.

Pot just made me order a lot more food and enjoy the living shit out of Gaming, talk about being in the zone, there was nothing quite as fun/good feeling as playing 4 person bomberman on the gamecube or Worms Armageddon with my roommates when we were blitzed out of our minds. If anything it'll stimulate the restaurant industry and gaming industry even more.

Omar
26 Mar 2009, 02:23pm
My teacher wants to legalize hash.

Gumpy
26 Mar 2009, 02:27pm
Marijuana is so weak a drug that it can be compared to a very strong onion. :/

Yes.

Italian Jew
26 Mar 2009, 02:59pm
But should it be a state thing or a federal thing?

Red
26 Mar 2009, 03:03pm
It will start with states, but it should be a Federal thing so that they stop pouring money into agencies to fight pot.

andre1028
26 Mar 2009, 03:05pm
Pot is much "healthier" than cigarettes but it's still illegal. I guess it's a smart move to make it legal and I wouldn't mind seeing it go that way.

Silentfaith
26 Mar 2009, 03:49pm
It won't happen, there will be to much controversy. All the people who have been arrested in anyway related to that drug, will get a lawyer, they will find some flaw in the system, and fuck over the government.

Mikey
26 Mar 2009, 04:03pm
It won't happen, there will be to much controversy. All the people who have been arrested in anyway related to that drug, will get a lawyer, they will find some flaw in the system, and fuck over the government.

the people who wore arrested for possession of hash will be let our if that was their only conviction.

Cooki3Monsta
26 Mar 2009, 04:36pm
Sounds good!

trakaill
26 Mar 2009, 05:33pm
I just dont get how pot is banned and alcohol is legal when they have a similar state of impairment! If you can get drunk you should be able to get high..!

Caution
26 Mar 2009, 05:38pm
Was just watching the news the other night, and the federal government is highly considering letting states have their own laws on medicinal marijuana. Yeah, they "allow" it now, but if it was brought up in court, federal rules over state.

This is just with medicinal, but how many people were saying "Oh the feds will never let weed be legal in any way."

Matt.
26 Mar 2009, 05:39pm
IF you do any studying (I did a full blown report on every drug) Marijuana's effects are even less then alcohol. I mean the most harmful thing about it is smoking it, and cigarettes are way worse. I just think its funny how everyone overreacts over it. IT has few long time effects compared to alcohol or cigarettes.

Meh, anyways I don't understand why it was banned in the first place.

Italian Jew
26 Mar 2009, 05:56pm
Meh, anyways I don't understand why it was banned in the first place.

Hippies gave it a bad name.

Politicians at the time were waging a moral war on the US (which they backed up with incorrect science).

PotshotPolka
26 Mar 2009, 05:57pm
Couldn't give a shit, but in reality, war on drugs isn't exactly constitutional. The constitution doesn't mention DDTs, asbestos, or lead poisoning for that matter, if you want to put it into another perspective.

Slavic
26 Mar 2009, 06:11pm
Hippies gave it a bad name.

Politicians at the time were waging a moral war on the US (which they backed up with incorrect science).

Marijuana was already illegal when the hippies rolled in, its my understanding that it was made illegal to put more weight on combating immigrants from our neighbors to the south. Most marijuana was grown in Mexico and it was quite common for immigrants to have it in possession in southern border states. Adding another law to kick immigrants out was big back in the day.

In my opinion, legalize and tax all drugs. No driving under the influence, no showing up at work under the influence, have designated public places for consumption (bars), and allow use on private facilities. Instill the same laws that surround alcohol.

If this were to happen, companies would take up the mantle from the drug dealers and push out a cheaper and cleaner drug that is taxable. There will be a significant drop in domestic violence due to the disappearance of the drug black market. Mexico City and Bogota would have a field day as the drug cartels and FARC literally shit themselves into poverty.

SpEeD
26 Mar 2009, 07:43pm
what r mari jow anna?

LegalSmash
26 Mar 2009, 08:13pm
Yes.

Seriously, it's ridiculous, the effects of pot are so placid it's completely irrational to have it banned. It WOULD bring in SHITLOADS of money if taxed, instead of draining billions that we throw into fighting it.

I would trade pot for alcohol. How many people get into fights when they're stoned versus when they're drunk.

It would also free up A LOT of jail cells and money into fighting more serious problems/drugs. Personally I wouldn't care if other drugs were legalized, just don't allow employees to come in to work on heroin etc.

But honestly, as someone that used to smoke it in college, it blows my mind that it is illegal. I did WAY more stupid/dangerous shit when I was drunk.

Pot just made me order a lot more food and enjoy the living shit out of Gaming, talk about being in the zone, there was nothing quite as fun/good feeling as playing 4 person bomberman on the gamecube or Worms Armageddon with my roommates when we were blitzed out of our minds. If anything it'll stimulate the restaurant industry and gaming industry even more.

Oh How I Miss Our College Days.

Kay
26 Mar 2009, 08:33pm
Personally, I think marijuana should be legalized, butwith restrictions like an age limit-probably around 21, the same as alcohaul. I would think it would be handled by the state.

PotshotPolka
26 Mar 2009, 08:39pm
Yes.

You forgot having fun conversations with the CIA in foreign languages.

Red
27 Mar 2009, 09:29am
You forgot having fun conversations with the CIA in foreign languages.

LOL, I never thought about it that way.

I thought they made pot illegal after prohibition was repealed and they said people went on murderous rampages when stoned, that was the excuse.

LegalSmash
27 Mar 2009, 11:33am
Marijuana was targeted by none other than the treasury departments very own hack Arnslinger, who basically argued that the drug derived from the flower of the hemp plant, which up until that point was perfectly legal and was used to make a great deal of products including rope and clothing. The treasury department, based on a smear campaign that "negroes and mexicans" were using it and raping "white wimminz", put a 2 dollar an ounce tax, which was a LOT of money in 1937 than it was now.

I disagree with the status of marijuana currently due to economic reasons. If they want to make it an offense that can be fined, so money is being made, I would not argue for its decriminalization... however, the current method of seeking incarceration for having a joint is a terrible use of resources. Jails should hold financial criminals and murderers... not people that decided to go get high and play bomberman.

This being said, I don't necessarily believe in legalization altogether either. We have a HUGE problem in this country with excess, and despite my often libertarian leanings, I cannot really say with confidence that people would police themselves, nor would WE necessarily get out of having to pay for pot-addled, sit at home, obese assholes that welfare it up while smoking their legally acquired stash. Despite the fact that Red, and many other people I know went out and did something with their lives, I know at least as many that have not moved 1 step out of high school, or haven't even done that... I really prefer NOT to have more lazy do nothing imbeciles sucking up the public dole.

I think Legalization, and taxation while attractive at first as an option would carry with it severe consequences. We have been trying to deal with the health concerns caused by tobacco for nearly half a century. Marijuana, despite what the local normal chapter wants to tell you DOES contain high amounts of Tar, in fact, one dime piece joint (if the numbers are still the same) has the same amount of tar as an entire pack of marlboro reds (cowboy killers, in the red box). In addition to the tar, marijuana contains close to 300 other agents in it, which we really do not know what they do. In the end, an FDA approved marijuana joint (probably 10 years from now, given how slow FDA is to approve anything but their own budget), will be radically different from the crypto you buy from Talik at the basketball court, and more than likely high priced, even higher than current street value. This is not just a matter of "legalize and tax", the cost for research for safer versions of the smokeable marijuana will be folded into the cost of the product, plus EVERY FUCKING STATE will add their own excise tax, PLUS the federal excise and sin taxes... next think you know, a pack of joints will cost you 50-100 dollars for an amount that would normally cost you 20-50 in its base form.

In addition to all this, what do you do when someone gets high and does something stupid... crashes a car or (red, remember this one) steals a road sign? The congress that passes this had better have balls and polls of steel, because after little 15 year old johnny pulls his dick out in the back yard in front Ms. Smith and her darling daughters of 5 and 8 in the heart of Texas of because he got high and just couldn't stop thinking about Carmen Electra there WILL be law suits, big and ugly ones.

Red
27 Mar 2009, 11:42am
In addition to all this, what do you do when someone gets high and does something stupid... crashes a car or (red, remember this one) steals a road sign? The congress that passes this had better have balls and polls of steel, because after little 15 year old johnny pulls his dick out in the back yard in front Ms. Smith and her darling daughters of 5 and 8 in the heart of Texas of because he got high and just couldn't stop thinking about Carmen Electra there WILL be law suits, big and ugly ones.

A LOT more dangerous/stupid shit is done on alochol.

I should know.

LegalSmash
27 Mar 2009, 11:53am
A LOT more dangerous/stupid shit is done on alochol.

I should know.

I'm not disagreeing, but people will ask that question, and because Alcohol is largely a home grown industry and Pot is currently not, it is just one more hurdle the pot peddling part of the public would have to explain.

I'm not saying its impossible, but its a landmine field full of aids.

trakaill
27 Mar 2009, 12:38pm
I'm not disagreeing, but people will ask that question, and because Alcohol is largely a home grown industry and Pot is currently not, it is just one more hurdle the pot peddling part of the public would have to explain.

I'm not saying its impossible, but its a landmine field full of aids.

I would have to agree
not only that but alcohol is mainly produced in factories and is commercialized and also in stores, but pot as far as I know the big pothead grow it them selves at least thats how it is where Im from so it would be extremely hard for the government to have influence on the distribution like they do on alcohol..at least it seems so

CandleJack
27 Mar 2009, 02:21pm
They Should Legalize it because as tampon said we spend SHIT LOADS of money fighting it, so if it were legalized the Economy Would Rise

PotshotPolka
27 Mar 2009, 02:29pm
They Should Legalize it because as tampon said we spend SHIT LOADS of money fighting it, so if it were legalized the Economy Would Rise

No, deficits would simply fall.

LegalSmash
27 Mar 2009, 02:32pm

This.

Red
27 Mar 2009, 02:50pm

Good enough for me.

Better than pissing away billions.

LegalSmash
27 Mar 2009, 02:57pm
I bet if the senate took a drug test, half of them would be high given teh crap they've been attempting at passing.

Red
27 Mar 2009, 02:59pm
I bet if the senate took a drug test, half of them would be high given teh crap they've been attempting at passing.

How about the President?

LegalSmash
27 Mar 2009, 03:32pm
How about the President?

I heard he did crack with the rest of the ahrvard kids.

Mikey
27 Mar 2009, 03:53pm
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/02/27/8172_gold-coast-lead-story.html

Slavic
27 Mar 2009, 03:58pm
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/02/27/8172_gold-coast-lead-story.html

"They are a lovely couple," said one neighbour. "Who would have thought that hedge was grass? It just looks like an ordinary hedge in a suburban yard."

Way to be completely oblivious to basic botany

TopCat
27 Mar 2009, 05:17pm
No! Do NOT legalize marijuana!! There will be even more cancer related deathes!

Mikey
27 Mar 2009, 05:44pm

what scientific proof do u have that hash causes cancer? and i don't mean the toxic combustion waste i mean the components of marijuana plant.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

VOTE

Mikey
27 Mar 2009, 05:50pm
Annual Causes of Death in the United States
Tobacco
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity
Alcohol
Microbial Agents
Toxic Agents
Motor Vehicle Crashes
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs
Suicide
Incidents Involving Firearms
Homicide
Sexual Behaviors
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin
Marijuana

Italian Jew
27 Mar 2009, 06:48pm

:lie:

Repeat
27 Mar 2009, 07:11pm
Yes.

THIS THIS THIS THIS. We played the shit out of Bomberman and Mario Kart! I don't smoke anymore, though. The government infringes too much on our rights, and citizens should be allowed to smoke in their homes if they want. Sorta like cigs. I feel as though you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want AS LONG AS it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others.

Doctordan
28 Mar 2009, 08:44am
my problem i dont want a doctor high while perfoming surgery on me

Dracula
28 Mar 2009, 08:49am
MY Plan to keep only Pot Legal:

Now there are many other drugs that come from plants, but Marijuana is barely refined and has few aditives. Now when you look at say Meth it is refined cut and many other things. So basiclly the thing that would come with legalizing pot could say somthing along the lines of it has to be directly taken from the earth no additives like cocain and others have. OF course there would be more but this is off the top of my head.

Lux
28 Mar 2009, 01:17pm
I don't really care about people smoking killing them, its the fact that they smell like shit.
Marijuana obviously doesn't kill you but, still smells of shit so noezzzzzzzzzzz

Caution
28 Mar 2009, 02:05pm

Would you rather have him drunk?

Leon
28 Mar 2009, 02:33pm
They used drugs like this for medical reasons but i say no because ppl abuse this for their pleasure. Also it "kills" you or should i say messes with your mind and body.

My dads friends from his high school started to do that but my dad being smart said no and years later half of them died from taking drugs. And one guy went insane.

Italian Jew
28 Mar 2009, 02:44pm
As long as they could not smoke it in public, I wouldn't care. They shouldn't be allowed to be publicly high as that could cause many problems (just like with public drunkenness).

Also, they should not be able to smoke marijuana at a job site. The employer should set some standards at the work place, so you won't have people working while their high and endangering those around them or those affected by their work.

Basically, as long as they keep it a recreational drug in their private life, I do not care.

Slavic
28 Mar 2009, 04:09pm
They used drugs like this for medical reasons but i say no because ppl abuse this for their pleasure. Also it "kills" you or should i say messes with your mind and body.

My dads friends from his high school started to do that but my dad being smart said no and years later half of them died from taking drugs. And one guy went insane.

I never understood why people always associate pleasure as being some kind of vice. To justify the illegality of marijuana by saying it would be abused for pleasure would be to ignore the many other pleasures that humans take part of that hurt their body and mind.

Sex: Pleasurable and may result in a number of infections and deadly viruses.
Alcohol: Pleasurable and may result in bodily harm and excessive irrational behavior.
Fatty Foods: Pleasurable and may result in heart conditions and excess fat.

Where do we draw the line in determining which humanly pleasure is abuse and which pleasure is normal.

Also your claim that marijuana "kills" is extremely vague. Use of marijuana in its self has caused a very small amount of deaths world wide. Also I highly doubt that marijuana as killed and caused your dad's friends to go insane. I expect that the cause mostly likely had been choices of lifestyles that were essentially dangerous.

Also to throw this out there to break stereotypes. I've smoked pot for years, I've tried every drug under the sun, I've done my fair share of dealings. I am currently an A:B student in college, have no police record, and am currently in the air force. Drugs don't kill, people with uncontrollable and irrational lifestyles kill.

trakaill
28 Mar 2009, 05:13pm
I don't really care about people smoking killing them, its the fact that they smell like shit.
Marijuana obviously doesn't kill you but, still smells of shit so noezzzzzzzzzzz

Dude I dont know what kind os shit you smoke in england but pure colombian weed smells awesome..most weed smell great Ive only experience a few weird ones but they still got me high!

Red
28 Mar 2009, 06:51pm
Marijuana does NOT smell like shit.

Maybe the oregano crap you guys get, but over here it smells GOOD, like pine air freshener.

Also here we don't mix it with hash, we smoke it straight up.

Cigarettes smell like shit, pot smells good.

Leon
28 Mar 2009, 06:56pm
I never understood why people always associate pleasure as being some kind of vice. To justify the illegality of marijuana by saying it would be abused for pleasure would be to ignore the many other pleasures that humans take part of that hurt their body and mind.

Sex: Pleasurable and may result in a number of infections and deadly viruses.
Alcohol: Pleasurable and may result in bodily harm and excessive irrational behavior.
Fatty Foods: Pleasurable and may result in heart conditions and excess fat.

Where do we draw the line in determining which humanly pleasure is abuse and which pleasure is normal.

Also your claim that marijuana "kills" is extremely vague. Use of marijuana in its self has caused a very small amount of deaths world wide. Also I highly doubt that marijuana as killed and caused your dad's friends to go insane. I expect that the cause mostly likely had been choices of lifestyles that were essentially dangerous.

Also to throw this out there to break stereotypes. I've smoked pot for years, I've tried every drug under the sun, I've done my fair share of dealings. I am currently an A:B student in college, have no police record, and am currently in the air force. Drugs don't kill, people with uncontrollable and irrational lifestyles kill.

Well thats really great for u man, i should have implied that it killing someone was small but i only posted what i thought and left to play.

Doctordan
28 Mar 2009, 09:26pm
Would you rather have him drunk?
No i don't idont support the legalization of marajana i doubt any one would give up alchol for it either

Red
28 Mar 2009, 09:32pm
No i don't idont support the legalization of marajana i doubt any one would give up alchol for it either

I would

Lux
28 Mar 2009, 09:53pm
Dude I dont know what kind os shit you smoke in england but pure colombian weed smells awesome..most weed smell great Ive only experience a few weird ones but they still got me high!

Fair enough.....the stuff my friends been smoking does smell like shit though, I'm guessing its bad quality.

Still...if it was to be legal I would rather it was in non public places.

Repeat
28 Mar 2009, 09:53pm
As long as they could not smoke it in public, I wouldn't care. They shouldn't be allowed to be publicly high as that could cause many problems (just like with public drunkenness).

Also, they should not be able to smoke marijuana at a job site. The employer should set some standards at the work place, so you won't have people working while their high and endangering those around them or those affected by their work.

Basically, as long as they keep it a recreational drug in their private life, I do not care.

This is one of the few times that our opinions fall on the same side. Cherish this moment, friend, for it may not come around much more often.

:)

Italian Jew
29 Mar 2009, 12:00am
This is one of the few times that our opinions fall on the same side. Cherish this moment, friend, for it may not come around much more often.

:)

I feel like we've talked about this same subject before though...

LegalSmash
29 Mar 2009, 07:48am

This, in addition to my last post.

Astrum
29 Mar 2009, 09:48am
Was just watching the news the other night, and the federal government is highly considering letting states have their own laws on medicinal marijuana. Yeah, they "allow" it now, but if it was brought up in court, federal rules over state.

How nice of them for thinking about allowing something like that. That's very progressive of them. Perhaps next they'll allow us to have freedom of speech. Ah, one can dream right? As far as federal ruling over state, only since around 1933, or about 1865 if you want to be technical.

To Legal (your post is too long to quote):
The thing that has always pissed me off is how it required an amendment to the constitution to put alcohol prohibition into place, but not long after that they managed to effectively put drug prohibition into place through a loop hole in tax law which allowed them to not only excessively tax it but make the tax stamps damn near impossible to get. There's actually a lot more to the story than racism and moralism. There were a lot of monied interests involved in this as well, of course that should probably go without saying.

As far as legalization is concerned I will have to disagree. For one I could get weed by 5PM tonight if I wanted it. Supply is not a problem and never really has been. Granted the price has gone up since I quit, but it's still cheaper to be a worthless stoner than a drunk. In the short term I think there would be a spike in cannabis usage. However, given how widespread and easily attainable the drug already is I imagine that usage levels would taper off to pre-legalization times within a few years. The simple fact is that cannabis is so pervasive already that if you want to smoke, there's almost nothing stopping you.

As far as the health concerns of cannabis are concerned, if you want to be healthy get a vaporizer. No plant matter will combust and then the only question is what chemicals have a lower boiling point than THC which are actually harmful. I'm willing to wager this will put it about on par with having a glass of wine for dinner as far as primary* negative health consequences are concerned. To be fair I don't care if cannabis is unhealthy to smoke, it's not like everyone is taxed for universal health care... Oh wait, I might have to concede this point to you.

I know I expect too much from humanity, but why is it that if cannabis were legal and two doctors performed surgery while intoxicated, one drunk the other stoned, the first would be personally demonized and have his license removed and the second would be personally demonized, have his license removed, and have the legality of the substance he used called into question? I don't see any basic difference in the cause, so why is there a difference in the effect?

This is also a reply to one of Legal's points.

MY Plan to keep only Pot Legal:

Now there are many other drugs that come from plants, but Marijuana is barely refined and has few aditives. Now when you look at say Meth it is refined cut and many other things. So basiclly the thing that would come with legalizing pot could say somthing along the lines of it has to be directly taken from the earth no additives like cocain and others have. OF course there would be more but this is off the top of my head.

If you want to get technical there's a tree in Texas which produces either amphetamine or methamphetamine (I don't remember, difference is moot though) through its physiological processes. Granted you'd have to cut down an entire forest of these since the quantity produced is so small, but should this make meth legal? What about opium which just requires scoring the pods and allowing the latex to sit under the sun? Or mescaline, lysergic acid amide, psilocybin which come from peyote cacti, morning glory seeds, and psilocybin mushrooms respectively, requiring nothing more than soil to grow and an appetite for horrible tasting plant and fungus matter. Even cocaine is present in coca leaves, natives chew on the leaves rather than snorting a line though. There are more but I think I've made my point.

The "it's all natural" argument will never, ever, ever work.

Also, if you're only referring to cutting here then I've seen cannabis laced with PCP a fair number of times. Anything can be adultered.

Cigarettes smell like shit, pot smells good.

I find Camel cigarettes to smell really good actually, before you smoke them that is. After they're smoked it smells like an ash tray. I've never been a fan of the acrid scent of cannabis though, it smells even worse after it's been smoked.

*By primary I mean only the initial act, eating 6 boxes of pop tarts because you have the munchies probably isn't too healthy.

Repeat
29 Mar 2009, 07:46pm
*By primary I mean only the initial act, eating 6 boxes of pop tarts because you have the munchies probably isn't too healthy.

But it sure is delicious.

Repus
29 Mar 2009, 11:26pm
I didn't read any posts but i say no.

Its good to get ppl on that stage and some of them will quit instead of going to harder things.
Its like last wake up call to turn back before you go there.

Lux
30 Mar 2009, 02:18am
When I think about it, the high price of it is also a reason not to legalize it.

Ok its not so expensive you need to be rich but when your addicted to it especially at a young age its bad because, theres so many other things you need money for. Not that its the only thing like that but, no need to add another problem.

zero
30 Mar 2009, 09:11am
When I think about it, the high price of it is also a reason not to legalize it.

Ok its not so expensive you need to be rich but when your addicted to it especially at a young age its bad because, theres so many other things you need money for. Not that its the only thing like that but, no need to add another problem.

Pot is expensive because of the fact that it is illegal. I have no doubts that the price would drop once it becomes decriminalized.

PotshotPolka
30 Mar 2009, 09:35am
http://angelsbooks.ca/images/bible_man_breaking.jpg

Bibleman frowns upon your shenanigans.

Itch
30 Mar 2009, 09:41am
Legalize it.

Instead of spending money fighting it..
Get money taxing it.

Mikey
1 Apr 2009, 07:45am
Legalize it.

Instead of spending money fighting it..
Get money taxing it.

http://www.nataliedee.com/032109/i-would-venture-to-say-hell-yes.jpg

Zargotelc
5 Apr 2009, 09:05am
I cannot see any reason why marijuana should not be legalized. With all the benefits it has medically how can it be illegal?

The same can't be said about the rest of the drugs, but clearly marijuana is the least harmful of all the illegal drugs. It's misclassified as illegal, and should be legalized ASAP. With the recent Holder comments, the issue of marijuana should be left up to the States. However, it is still going to be a rough road to legalization, the other day another California marijuana center was raided. What happened to States rights, Holder?

LegalSmash
6 Apr 2009, 08:38am
I cannot see any reason why marijuana should not be legalized. With all the benefits it has medically how can it be illegal?

The same can't be said about the rest of the drugs, but clearly marijuana is the least harmful of all the illegal drugs. It's misclassified as illegal, and should be legalized ASAP. With the recent Holder comments, the issue of marijuana should be left up to the States. However, it is still going to be a rough road to legalization, the other day another California marijuana center was raided. What happened to States rights, Holder?

Its not the state's right to harbor a building filled with a substance considered illegal on a federal level... read the rest of the constitution for the supremacy clause regarding conflict of laws. California, like always, cannot read, write, or understand anything more than the lines of a porno flick.... states have no rights to make legal substances that the fed says are illegal, moreover, while the state CAN decide not to prosecute under STATE law, the fed, or state agency on behalf of the fed, CAN and usually DOES prosecute under federal law.

Slavic
6 Apr 2009, 09:56am
Its not the state's right to harbor a building filled with a substance considered illegal on a federal level... read the rest of the constitution for the supremacy clause regarding conflict of laws. California, like always, cannot read, write, or understand anything more than the lines of a porno flick.... states have no rights to make legal substances that the fed says are illegal, moreover, while the state CAN decide not to prosecute under STATE law, the fed, or state agency on behalf of the fed, CAN and usually DOES prosecute under federal law.

Just refreshing my understanding of State/Federal power. The Federal has power over the prosecution of illegal drugs in States because the drug in question has been declared illegal on the Federal level. If the Federal government didn't schedule such a substance, then the power would fall to the State because the Federal is not utilizing it.

If not the Federal, the State, if not the State, the People. In this case the Federal is pretty entrenched in drug law.