PDA

View Full Version : Hey ze mappers, wanna help out admins a bit?

Phil
26 Mar 2009, 10:25am
This is something very basic every ze map should have. A quick little thing that lets EVERYBODY know who activated what button. Exactly what will happen is that whoever activated the button will say something along the lines of "I activated the boat" or whatever you need it to be. This quickly lets admins know who activated something, if they need to do something about it. Especially useful for those DONT BLOW THE BRIDGE moments.

Make a point_clientcommand anywhere in the map. You will only need one. Name it something, clientcommand will do etc.

On every button you want this to happen, make an output:

OnPressed | <point_clientcommand name> | Command | say MAP: I activated <whatever button it is>

Change OnPressed to whatever applies. After the say command, you can type absolutely anything you want the player to say, don't use quotes. Depending on the button or trigger, you might want to have this output activate only once.

This also works on any entity that holds activator information, so triggers work too.

That's it. For anybody wondering why I didn't use a point_servercommand (so that the console says this, not the player), it is because I can't think of any way I can get it to say the activators name. None of the generic targetnames (!activator, !player etc) will help me because you can't use them after the command say, it just comes out as them in text. It needs some magic to make that one work. I'll keep it on my mind but I don't think it's possible.

If you're looking for any hammer help especially involving entity work i'd be happy to give it a look.

Peace. :heh:

Paul
26 Mar 2009, 10:50am
Nice, this may explain it a bit clearer.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/7533

Also this nuke prefab is excellent.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/1848

ReneGade
26 Mar 2009, 11:45am
This is one of the best ideas ive heard in a while. Awesome Job.

Phil
26 Mar 2009, 07:11pm
No problem.

Also I just realised there's a forum for tutorials.. Wow I wasn't looking very hard was I ;). Sorry, it's like my first time here, I don't remember when else I posted. (It says I have 8 posts)

Paul
26 Mar 2009, 08:51pm
No problem.

Also I just realised there's a forum for tutorials.. Wow I wasn't looking very hard was I ;). Sorry, it's like my first time here, I don't remember when else I posted. (It says I have 8 posts)

Yes, FPSB is a great website for allmost anything to do with css and anything surrounding css such as making maps.

Chobber
9 Apr 2009, 01:41pm
I will definately use this!