PDA

View Full Version : welfare recipient mandatory drug test legislation

LegalSmash
26 Mar 2009, 07:12am
Part of an article that was interesting

"Finally, lawmakers in eight states reportedly want welfare recipients and people receiving unemployment benefits to take drug tests. "Nobody's being forced into these assistance programs," said Craig Blair, a Republican in the West Virginia Legislature. "If so many jobs require random drug tests these days, why not these benefits?" Poverty and civil liberties advocates fear the strategy could discourage struggling Americans from seeking financial aid. "

-http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090326/ap_on_bi_ge/states_welfare_with_strings;_ylt=Av0h_Bnaon5P1Flhv 2XRwelv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTE5ZjlvMnZoBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5b i1tb3N0LXZpZXdlZARzbGsDc3RhdGVzY29uc2lk

Heres another related article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090326/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/jobless_claims;_ylt=AjCCqg5OoIyY8QoWL0np.TiyBhIF

I can honestly say that I am completely for welfare recipients having to submit to regular drug testing, especially where their stay on welfare may be prolonged by an inability to pass a workplace screening for drugs.

We should not be rewarding deviant behavior, or subsidizing it at a state or federal level.

Red
26 Mar 2009, 09:42am
YES

Italian Jew
26 Mar 2009, 11:13am
Poverty and civil liberties advocates fear the strategy could discourage struggling Americans from seeking financial aid. "

Umm....good? Less people=less money required for aid

Slavic
26 Mar 2009, 05:52pm
Wow its a shocker to see good actions like this taking form in congress. Taking part in the welfare system should be equivalent to having a job with all the responsibilities that come with it. Those on welfare should be able to at a moments notice find a job and be adequate for that job. If you can't get a job because you can't drop your rock habit, then you shouldn't deserve to benefit from a program aimed at helping those with little to no work.

Repeat
26 Mar 2009, 11:11pm
They should call the legislation "Urine or YOU'RE OUT!"

Most of us have to take drug tests to make money and pay taxes...TO SUPPORT THOSE LITTLE FINGER PAINTERS! Only makes sense that they should have to take drug tests to get the money.

Red
27 Mar 2009, 09:32am
They should call the legislation "Urine or YOU'RE OUT!"

HAAHAHHAAH

Did you make that up?

Repeat
27 Mar 2009, 09:36am
HAAHAHHAAH

Did you make that up?

Although I wish I could take credit for it, I saw it on an email that got passed around the office about a month ago or so. Hilarious, though.

Itch
30 Mar 2009, 03:35pm
Wow its a shocker to see good actions like this taking form in congress. Taking part in the welfare system should be equivalent to having a job with all the responsibilities that come with it. Those on welfare should be able to at a moments notice find a job and be adequate for that job. If you can't get a job because you can't drop your rock habit, then you shouldn't deserve to benefit from a program aimed at helping those with little to no work.

This.

I for once find myself wanting to support another piece of legislation. If you can't keep clean your habit shouldn't be supported by gov/public funding.