PDA

View Full Version : Obama Deficit Vs Bush Deficit

Red
25 Mar 2009, 11:11am
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3023/wapoobamabudget1.jpg
http://blog.heritage.org/2009/03/24/bush-deficit-vs-obama-deficit-in-pictures/

It's only been 3 months yet we can already safely say that Obama has put this country into more debt that anyone ever.

To think I heard people crying that Bush was putting our country into debt. This is ridiculous/scary.

I guess it's okay for Obama since he keeps referring to spending as "investing".

Desum
25 Mar 2009, 04:28pm
Well, what the hell did we all think was going to happen? He plans to give free health care and reduce taxes.. Of course our debt isn't going to be fixed..

But hey, i'm sure removing veteran's health benefits and taxing our health benefits will fix it.

Red
25 Mar 2009, 06:33pm
Veterans are evil baby killers, we shouldn't take care of them

Target
25 Mar 2009, 08:14pm
YAY FOR ANTI-CHRIST OBAMA!!!!!!!!! HE ACTUALLY MADE OUR COUNTRY A BETTER PLACE!!! HE IS GOD!!!!!

Caution
25 Mar 2009, 08:28pm
YAY FOR ANTI-CHRIST OBAMA!!!!!!!!! HE ACTUALLY MADE OUR COUNTRY A BETTER PLACE!!! HE IS GOD!!!!!

CHAAAAAAAAAAANGE!!!!

PotshotPolka
25 Mar 2009, 08:33pm
out, both of you.

Caution
25 Mar 2009, 08:52pm
out, both of you.

D:

In all seriousness though, it doesn't surprise me. What exactly does CBO stand for?

PotshotPolka
25 Mar 2009, 09:04pm
Congressional Budget Office. Keeps track of where the money flows.

Caution
25 Mar 2009, 09:06pm
Oh, ok. Just trying to understand this better.

So does the White House budget include things like the Inaugeration?

Italian Jew
25 Mar 2009, 09:34pm
Didn't Obama inherit $1.2 trillion of that debt? By the end of his term, it is estimated to be under that mark and by 2019 it would be back to it (the budget remains the same, which it most likely won't).

The graph does a good job at making you believe he created it all, but it is just another one of those misinterpreted political graphs...shocking, I know.

Red
25 Mar 2009, 09:49pm
Excluding the 1.2 he inherited from bush, the trillions he's going to spend with magic money is HIS debt.

Italian Jew
25 Mar 2009, 10:13pm
Excluding the 1.2 he inherited from bush, the trillions he's going to spend with magic money is HIS debt.

If that's your argument, then you'd have to disregard the chart you already posted and go find a chart that shows the debt attributed to this administration and Congress (one that doesn't intend to blur the facts). Even with your chart, the CBO doesn't estimate additional trillions of dollars of debt added to what he inherited (even though it is possible that may happen, but you cannot defend that point AND the chart because they disagree).

The baseline for him is $1.2 trillion, so as of the current '09 budget, he added about $600 billion of debt (depending on what estimate you want to use). By '13, the estimates from that chart would be under the initial debt to around $600-$700 billion, meaning he would have improved upon the current situation at that time.

By '19, the debt returns to around $1.2 trillion, which is where Bush and the accompanying Congress (It isn't a one man show) left it.

Also, all of this data does not reflect possible changes to the budget or other unforeseeable incidents, so expect anyone's predicted outcome to change.

LegalSmash
25 Mar 2009, 11:20pm
I have difficulty with believing projections... since about 2 years ago we were all PROJECTING to be doing fine. As for debt increase. I am seriously on the fence to be honest. Depending on how that money was to be spent, my opinion changes. As is, bailing out imbeciles with no credit who bought houses they had no business buying, yes, I am against it... however, paying off student debt, allowing first time homeowner (on properly approved credit) write offs and tax breaks, and funding small business investment I am for. I am even for seriously tuning up the schools, and getting teachers that are not imbeciles and paying them more. By the same token, I think sending out foreign aid out the ass and corporate welfare payments are completely unconscionable.

I AM sure however, that the congress and the executive hold the bal solely for the results in this scenario.