PDA

View Full Version : Historical Text Preference?

LegalSmash
23 Mar 2009, 10:21pm
Odd question people,

Who here has a particular text, either a textbook, scholarly treatise, or historical narrative book that they are partial to? Personally, some of my favorite historically relevant reading are court cases from the supreme court of the united states during the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s, it is incredible the leaps forward in legal theory development, and in step with it, history moves forward.

For example:

After 1929's crash the Supreme Court decided several landmark cases in very sharp fashion... they summarily executed several new deal programs which they felt were in disagreement with the US constitution in some way, shape, or form.

Some of the NLRB decision, Schechter Poultry, and other very important cases are amazing reading... I'll see if I can wrangle some links.

What do you find interesting, readable, etc.?

Wrathek
23 Mar 2009, 11:18pm
internet archive: the wayback machine.

but nah seriously, im usually too lazy to read much of anything, but in terms of history i'm quite partial to first person accounts of the civil war.

imkrazie
24 Mar 2009, 02:11pm
I personally enjoy reading fictional and real World War II -> Vietnam stories. I occasionally go for a guide/book on topics such as global warming, capitalism, constitution, etc. I also love to listen/read about conspiracy theories because of all the theoretical thinking involved.

Frostbyte
24 Mar 2009, 02:24pm
The shell Game - Steve Alten

tank40175
24 Mar 2009, 02:47pm
Historical accounts from any part of the history of the Roman Empire. Although the start of Rome is wrapped up in legends, and myth, you can get the basic story of a little farm community that rose to rule the world. In a short time, and the impacts that they (and the Greeks) have had on our world today.

PotshotPolka
24 Mar 2009, 05:52pm
This outdated crummy paper called the Constitution.

Caution
24 Mar 2009, 06:25pm
I'm really interested in WW2. I try to read a lot about anything involving it. Not sure why, it just really fascinates me.

broncoty
24 Mar 2009, 10:18pm
I may be weird here but I can read my U.S gov and World history textbook for hours and not get bored :P.

Slavic
25 Mar 2009, 01:25pm
I may be weird here but I can read my U.S gov and World history textbook for hours and not get bored :P.

Not at all. I ended up purchasing a copy of my high school AP History class's book, A History of the Modern World. I think I read it front to back at least 2 times, round 1000 pages.

I typically only read non-fictions and research books on the psychedelic experience and its connections with religion, meta-physics, history, and philosophy.

I read anywhere from Huxley and Leary's meddling in academia, Don Juan and ethno-botanists in the Amazon, Religious texts and their esoteric sects (sufi, gnosis, etc.), and the painstaking writings of Sartre