PDA

View Full Version : won't be here for a while

Omega
1 Oct 2007, 07:37pm
I've done a reformat to my comp and ever since I can't get my internet to work... I called my ISP (comcast) and after being on hold for a good 20 mins they told me there was nothing they could do because I need an IP address or something, which can only be retrieved from whoever made my comp (or something like that), and DELL put my comp together, and they said my warranty is expired with so they can't do jack about it.

Again, that's how I understood it... I don't really know how it all works. Please excuse my lack of clarity.

But this raises some questions... when the guy came in to setup my cable connection, he didn't leave an installation CD or anything. Aren't I supposed to get one? I did when I had a DSL connection. And, if I have an account with Comcast, can't I set up my connection manually by providing the details? Their tech support didn't even touch on this and I forgot to ask (I'd do it myself but I don't know my account name or password). Also, if I build a comp myself (which I am planning on doing), how the hell am I supposed to get my internet running then?

Am I missing something here? Is there anything I can do? Comcast has the worst tech support ever, I swear.

Any help from the tech guys would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Om

VirDeBello
1 Oct 2007, 07:48pm
Well they didn't leave me a CD either when I got mine installed. Check your network/internet card maybe something happened to it? That was wrong with my computer but I had an old one lying around so I just tried it out and it worked.

Omega
1 Oct 2007, 07:49pm
Can't be my card because prior to the reformat my internet was working perfectly fine.

contempt
1 Oct 2007, 07:54pm
Hm, strange. I'm no expert or anything but if your ISP has given you a username and password, which is usually the case, you could try this:

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options > Connections > Setup

After setting it up, go to Start > Connect to .
Then enter your username and password and click connect.
I'm using XP and this is how I set up my connection (after reformat).

contempt

James
2 Oct 2007, 04:05am
I called my ISP (comcast) and after being on hold for a good 20 mins they told me there was nothing they could do because I need an IP address or something, which can only be retrieved from whoever made my comp

Wait.. I thought it was the ISP who give you the IP adress, but why would computer manufacturers give you an IP adress? That doesn't make sense...

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, it's just a little confusing.

broncoty
2 Oct 2007, 07:06am
its not really ip i dnt think my grandma had a problem like it, dont you have an email adress 123456@comcast.net with a password, this is for your isp and it is what verifies that your house is using your modem and the such

if this gets off, which has happened to me with qwest you have to reenter it or call them and they usually can do it for you but i have dsl not cable so i dont know how ppoe is different between the 2

mew
2 Oct 2007, 10:10am
i think they meant they need your "MAC" address? (Goto Start->Run, enter "cmd" and hit Enter... type "ipconfig/all", that should list the MAC addresses of all your NIC cards including wireless)...
I have Roadrunner and in order to "authorize" my computer, I had to goto their authorization website, it read the MAC address of my NIC so only my computer would work on the cable. I then "spoofed" it on my router so my two other laptops can get online.
I dont think they would ask for your IP address even if it's static since they are the ones who provide it.

vybz
2 Oct 2007, 02:06pm
yea, i'm no tech guy, but i think mew may be right about that MAC address. i remember having to do that when i lived on res in my university.. i had to send them my mac address to get it authorized so i can use the net.

if it's not that, did u install all the relevant drivers and stuff? ( i remember i had to install internet connection drivers for my computer when i formated it, or else i couldnt connect to the internet no matter what)

if none of those work, maybe u can give us more details of how u can't connect to the net.. do u get any error messages?

Bovice
2 Oct 2007, 02:47pm
I think it's your MAC address you need as well, since it doesn't change and is computer specific. Your IP is assigned when connected to a network if I remember correctly, and it can change (usually done when repairing a connection). I won't say how to find it because people already did though lol.

mew
2 Oct 2007, 05:48pm
I asked my coworker who has comcast in NJ and he directed me here: http://www.comcast.com/images/ImageLibrary/FAQ/PDF/Activation%20Guide.pdf (http://www.comcast.com/images/ImageLibrary/FAQ/PDF/Activation%20Guide.pdf)

If it's the same NIC you been using b4 you reformatted, the MAC should be the same (it's NIC specific, not computer).. make sure it is working, connect the network cable from the modem to the NIC (the lights on the NIC should blink, if not, the NIC is not working). Also make sure you have a Local Area Connection setup for your NIC card that's enabled and set to DHCP... That pdf link says there should be a installation/setup cd.. might have to get them to send you one. but if your NIC is working, get the MAC address and try calling them again.. you still should be able to get on their network to activate.

Omega
3 Oct 2007, 08:35pm
yeah mew, that requires a CD which I never received.

Also for the ipconfig/all I get no IP addresses/numbers at all when I type it in cmd prompt.

KikkoMan
4 Oct 2007, 03:33am
Im going to assume your modem connects fine(steady lights)...
Control Panel- Network Connections- Local Area Connection(if you dont see this, you may need to create a new one by using the wizard)
Select "local area connection"
Highlight "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), now go to properties.
Select... Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically
Ok and Close.

You should be able to connect now, if not...
Start- run- Cmd
ipconfig/release
After typing this and pressing enter, type in...
ipconfig/renew

If that does not work, restart pc and turn off modem. When you see the windows logo, turn on the modem. When you reformatted, did you install your network drivers?
Right click "My Computer" - Properties- Hardware(TAB)- Device Manager
Do you see any exclamation marks?

BTW, haven't been playing because I'm on DIAL UP!!!!!!!!! LKDJLSKJD

mew
4 Oct 2007, 01:49pm
i'm thinking your NIC may not be installed correctly or maybe even fried. You should still be able to see your MAC address. Reinstall the drivers for the NIC or head over to Dell and download updated ones.. If that doesnt work then your NIC is prolly fried. Get a new NIC (about $25 for a gigibit card from Linksys) and install it. Get the MAC (should be labeled on the box but "ipconfig/all" just in case) and notify comcast.

Omega
4 Oct 2007, 08:44pm
how am I going to download anything if I can't access the internet to begin with?

LitKey
4 Oct 2007, 09:02pm
how am I going to download anything if I can't access the internet to begin with?

1. get flash drive, CD, or some type of portable storage device
2. go to family's/friend's house or library
3. get on a computer
4. download files needed

mew
4 Oct 2007, 09:44pm
i kinda assumed u got a connection somewhere to access the forums..

vybz
4 Oct 2007, 10:41pm
omega u dummy :P i love u .. and i miss u baby.. hurry up and get that shit fixed so we can do those things late in the night like we used to :):date:

Omega
5 Oct 2007, 07:47pm
i kinda assumed u got a connection somewhere to access the forums..

It was probably one of the dumbest questions I have ever asked.

contempt
5 Oct 2007, 07:53pm
So this was all bs? :closed::lock:

contempt

Omega
5 Oct 2007, 07:54pm
So this was all bs? :closed::lock:

contempt

?...

contempt
5 Oct 2007, 07:59pm
What exactly is the problem? Obviously, you're able to use the forum and be online. Or are you using a different computer atm?

contempt

Omega
5 Oct 2007, 08:02pm
What exactly is the problem? Obviously, you're able to use the forum and be online. Or are you using a different computer atm?

contempt

Oh, yeah I'm at a friend's house

Edo
5 Oct 2007, 10:05pm
so get cd download the drivers and install them on ur pc u noob:)

LitKey
5 Oct 2007, 10:31pm
so get cd download the drivers and install them on ur pc u noob:)

this lol

Omega
6 Oct 2007, 12:30am
I know, I know, but what drivers?

Edo
6 Oct 2007, 07:40am
network-drivers.com try here search Dell and in future when u format ur pc u dont have to unplug the network cable live it on so u dont have to do this again

KikkoMan
6 Oct 2007, 10:46pm
Omega, did you even read my suggestions?
Find out the model number of your Dell and go toooooo:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

mew
7 Oct 2007, 12:15am
if it a Dell, get the Service Tag (should be sticker somewhere on case or get in Bios) and punch it in the Dell Support site, it'll list all the drivers you need.

Omega
7 Oct 2007, 07:34pm
Omega, did you even read my suggestions?
Find out the model number of your Dell and go toooooo:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

all right kikko, my model is the 4600, and when I select that as my model on the site it gives me a bunch of options and I've no clue as to which one(s) to download.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

halp

CraftyPirate
7 Oct 2007, 10:12pm
Expand the "network" selection and it looks like the one you need is:
"Intel - Driver
Applies to:
10/100 LOM"

I'm also noticing a bunch of bloatware apps that you don't need...grab that chipset and bios update as well. Probably want to get that "Urgent" creative labs patch and your video card driver too. After you've installed the drivers goto the device manager to see if anything is missing (right click My Computer->Manage->expand "System Tools"->Device Manager) and expand all the devices to see if there's any yellow warning signs to any of the devices - if there is then go back to your list and download the appropriate drivers to the device. Also check windows update for additional updates too.

Omega
10 Oct 2007, 06:53pm
boy I should really start doing this lol

Omega
12 Oct 2007, 08:30pm
right, so I "installed" the drivers, and something seems to be happening. When I type "ipconfig/all , I now get a "physical" ip address, and a bunch of other information. However, I still can't connect to the internets because it says "media cable is disconnected" on my local area connection. I checked my cables and stuff and they are fine. Modem has all lights on. I'm such a goddamn noob when it comes to this.... argh!

Any ideas? I Appreciate em!

mew
13 Oct 2007, 12:43pm
hmm.. check the lights on the NIC card, should be amber and green for 10/100. both should be blinking. in a DOS cmd box, type "ipconfig/release", then "ipconfig/renew" and check again. Try a different cat5e cable. What kind of IP did you get? if it connected direct to modem, you should get a WAN ip (which is what we see you as) as well as DNS servers belonging to comcast (make sure your TCP/IP setting Local Area Connection is set to auto for both IP and DNS).

Omega
14 Oct 2007, 08:20pm
hmm.. check the lights on the NIC card, should be amber and green for 10/100. both should be blinking. in a DOS cmd box, type "ipconfig/release", then "ipconfig/renew" and check again. Try a different cat5e cable. What kind of IP did you get? if it connected direct to modem, you should get a WAN ip (which is what we see you as) as well as DNS servers belonging to comcast (make sure your TCP/IP setting Local Area Connection is set to auto for both IP and DNS).

To havok: I have a motorolla modem

mew, all my lights are on/flashing exactly how they were before the reformat. I did not switch any of my cables. Also TCP/IP are on auto, too.

I think I need a new computer altogether.

mew
16 Oct 2007, 11:08am
Check your bios (F2 at dell logo at boot before win logo) and see if there are settings there that needs to be on/off.
unplug the network cable.. disable the NIC and re-enable it after few secs.. it should network cable is unplugged.. plug in the network cable and watch the systray icon try to get an ip, then check your ipconfig/all.. might want to try a different cable also. it might also be a NIC hardware issue that it might be shorted.. check the inside of the PC. make sure that the loose cables not being used are tied up and hooked somewhere that it doesnt touch the mobo.

Edo
16 Oct 2007, 12:20pm
3 weeks and u didnt fix it? come on man :)

Omega
19 Oct 2007, 05:33pm
still nothin' :D

I've decided that I'm just going to get a new comp... been wanting to get one anyway, so my computer breaking down has technically, in some weird way, turned out to be a win-win situation for me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I miss you all BTW

mew
19 Oct 2007, 05:42pm
ouch, he gonna pwn us more with a new rig!

James
20 Oct 2007, 03:09am
Come on Omega, just get some expert to fix it for ya, it won't be as expensive as buying a new comp...

Veggie
20 Oct 2007, 02:18pm
sounds like you just need the isp's install cd to me

LitKey
20 Oct 2007, 03:45pm
Or, in James' case, consult google, find out that a system application is actually a virus, delete said system application and then go to an expert.

Haha, good job James.

Omega
21 Oct 2007, 03:57pm
Come on Omega, just get some expert to fix it for ya, it won't be as expensive as buying a new comp...

Didn't you read? I need an upgrade anyway. My comp is a piece of shit

Omega
27 Oct 2007, 08:59pm
K, so I have the internet back. I can't exactly tell you how, where, or who's necks I had to break, but the important thing is that I am reunited with my fellow ZM'ers.

:)