PDA

View Full Version : Halo Wars review

Frostbyte
10 Mar 2009, 06:01pm
Well, my brother bought Halo wars.

I went into this game thinking, ''oh its going to be shit, but might as well play it to back up my rant later on'', but I was actually kind of suprised.

The controls are spot on for a console RTS, which is a godsend. Its not a super complex game, which is a good move, because

1) Console gamers = IQ: Meh
2) You don't have a keyboard, so simplicity is a plus while not giving up gameplay

The graphics are pretty nice, its no Doom or Half Life, but eh.

I would like to say this. Before you rag on me for being a console fanboy or some shit like that, Halo Wars does what the original Halo did for consoles, cept its an RTS. The hero units are cool, and are very similar to the heroes in Age Of Mythology, and they can also trigger various powers (vortex, rage etc...). There is a very good balance between both factions, so no one is gonna rape you unless you suck.

This is the basic unit triangle for Halo wars.

Infantry beats Aircraft, Aircraft beats Vehicles, Vehicles beat infantry.

Before the game starts, in the pre-game lobby, you can pick a leader, 1 of 3.
Each leader gives you acess to different special forces, powers, and heroes.

Overall, this game was pretty good, and I got my moneys worth. I give this an 8/10.

Im sorta gonna steal this from Legal's friday the 13th review, but w/e it makes a good point.

Dont go into this game expecting Company of Heroes and you wont be disapponited.

LVG
10 Mar 2009, 06:05pm
Nice review I'd have to agree with you there i thought it was gonna be C&C controls and what not but the controls are very easy the only major issue i have is the path finding issues E.G scorpion trying to go through the middle of 2 set of marines i'd just prefer no clipping it, and frost gamer tag? we MUST DO TEH COOPZ also do you know how to "flare" allied supply pads?

also I'd have to say a few units are over powered...

Frostbyte
10 Mar 2009, 06:09pm
Nice review I'd have to agree with you there i thought it was gonna be C&C controls and what not but the controls are very easy the only major issue i have is the path finding issues E.G scorpion trying to go through the middle of 2 set of marines i'd just prefer no clipping it, and frost gamer tag? we MUST DO TEH COOPZ also do you know how to "flare" allied supply pads?

My gamertag is

Nick Icarus

Some units are overpowered, but arent there always OP units in RTS?

PS: If you mean the UBER units, I hate getting rolled by scarabs lol.

h3adsh0t
10 Mar 2009, 06:15pm

i agree i bought it yesterday path finding issues... where my worse spot

and agree on the units be overpowered

andre1028
10 Mar 2009, 07:40pm
I'd call this game Halo:Rock-Paper-Scissors, RTS Style.

Tcp-Kill
11 Mar 2009, 01:28am
I played the demo, and i spammed 20 warthogs with guass cannons that took out a base.

Although it was on normal, and it was 1v1, it was pretty good.

chaser77
11 Mar 2009, 07:30pm
i would give it an 8/10 i like it and if u guys wana play add Leastchaser

Sanctuary
12 Mar 2009, 05:14pm
I got all the skull like the first day XD (Was like 5 friend at my house. They Help me tough) I give a 8/10 because ppl online use same fcking tatic and become boring because i know what they gonna do.

Demented
17 Mar 2009, 05:12pm
Some people say Halo Wars Sucks why though?

SOLANUM
17 Mar 2009, 07:25pm
Because thats their opinions. They probly like more complex RTSs like the Total War series.

I like them more than HW aswell, its a decet time waster though.

Dante
20 Mar 2009, 10:35pm
i like those kind of games ones that are like starcraft but for consle's can be super fun once you get the hang of it and i think i'll have to go buy it for my 360 cause i guess you've convinced me and reminded me to go buy it :D

Frostbyte
23 Mar 2009, 03:59pm
Update: I played this game almost all of yesterday.

Myself and 2 of my friends were absolutely raving 3v3's all day.

This game is sort of like crack if you play with friends and are on a winning streak.

Stompy Moose
9 Apr 2009, 06:17pm
I found this game very fun for about a week but after playing this game and getting leader rushed 99% of the time in a match made game is no fun..