PDA

View Full Version : |GsX| Pr0d1gy is only a |KiD|

|GsX| GrimReaper
2 Mar 2009, 06:00pm
Hi, I'm the FATHER of Pr0d1gy. I have observed EXTREME language while he is playing on your JailBreak and Surf servers. I'm trying to comprehend these mods and encourage him to enjoy something new, besides "killing", but are there rules about language in this community?

He was introduced to your servers via members of our clan. Sure one could argue that I'm a terrible person for letting an 8 yr old play CS, but blah... I'm a gamer and he wants to be like his dad, so I try my best to let him play my games so long as the environment isn't too bad. After all, I don't claim not to be a potty mouth now and then.

Finally, he was banned from the PB M server tonight for "free killing", which I guess as a guard he isn't supposed to shoot people next to him that only have knives?!? Again, I'm clueless to these mods. I would like to ask if you could send me some of the rules for PB and Surf, so maybe I can teach him to obey them.

He has enjoyed your servers for quite a while now and doesn't want to be banned permanent, so anything I can do to avoid that would be greatly appreciated. He seems to have made many "friends" here, except for some TOOL that thought it would be funny to have him rebind the MOUSE1 to quit. Nice one dickhead out there, you tricked an 8 yr old who was asking for help, you're so 133t.

Italian Jew
2 Mar 2009, 06:09pm
These are the general accepted rules for PB:
http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11735

These are the rules for the Surf server:
http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3526

The surf server rules are the same basic rules for every other server, but the ones for PB can be specific because it differs greatly from normal CS. You can also type "motd" in the PB server for the guidelines as well.

For the language rules, as long as players don't flame others too much or use racist remarks, anything goes. If it is a ridiculous amount of spammed curses coming from a player, an admin might ask them to button up, but be aware that the players are allowed to use language you might not find appropriate for your kid.

trakaill
2 Mar 2009, 06:13pm
Well sir,
Im sorry to inform you that we do not have rules against bad language or our server! If you've been next to your son while he's playing you can see the bad words probably come out every other second. If we were to start punishing these people we are afraid that we would be driving these people away. That might be argued as a bad excuse but our servers have been the way they are for a long time now.

Your sons ban is for 1 day and will expire tomorrow, the rules in PB are easily accessible in game by typing motd but Im sure you know that..
But basically dont kill anybody unless they are escaping or trying to kill you are a teammate. If you want someone to do something ask them nicely if they dont comply you can shoot them in the leg/foot to warn them..

If you dont like him playing on servers with bad language I sure they are PB servers out there enforcing it. But again +17 game it's hard to tell a server of 40 not you mouth bad thing..FYI we do prevent racism and try to protect players from direct attack from other player over the mic or through chat!..You can always take a screen shot of steam ID and whats been said and post in in player complaint, a demo will even be better!

And remember 3 bans=perm so tell him to take it easy as guard!

I hope this helps!

Trakaill

BTW Im not in charge here so other people high ups might more helpful

Paul
2 Mar 2009, 06:20pm
If you want him to try a server without much 'killing' then try out minigames servers, some good fun.

sneezing panda
2 Mar 2009, 06:29pm
Also, the owners son, Bubba, plays on our servers. just have him not repeat the words they say or have him not use sound or use the in game music. (!music)

-Sneezing Panda

Psyche
2 Mar 2009, 06:31pm
Hi, I'm the FATHER of Pr0d1gy. I have observed EXTREME language while he is playing on your JailBreak and Surf servers. I'm trying to comprehend these mods and encourage him to enjoy something new, besides "killing", but are there rules about language in this community?

He was introduced to your servers via members of our clan. Sure one could argue that I'm a terrible person for letting an 8 yr old play CS, but blah... I'm a gamer and he wants to be like his dad, so I try my best to let him play my games so long as the environment isn't too bad. After all, I don't claim not to be a potty mouth now and then.

Finally, he was banned from the PB M server tonight for "free killing", which I guess as a guard he isn't supposed to shoot people next to him that only have knives?!? Again, I'm clueless to these mods. I would like to ask if you could send me some of the rules for PB and Surf, so maybe I can teach him to obey them.

He has enjoyed your servers for quite a while now and doesn't want to be banned permanent, so anything I can do to avoid that would be greatly appreciated. He seems to have made many "friends" here, except for some TOOL that thought it would be funny to have him rebind the MOUSE1 to quit. Nice one dickhead out there, you tricked an 8 yr old who was asking for help, you're so 133t.

I was the one who banned your son, in your perspective it looked like your son did not know the rules on our PB server. He participated and didn't break any rules, besides yelling into the microphone occasionally, then he proceeded to kill me and two others before I banned him, from what I saw, he knew the rules, he just decided to break them.

The rules on PB are fairly simply, the CT's are to command the T's to locations, actions, etc. If the T's disobey, or not comply, the CT's are in the right jurisdiction to kill them. The T's are to obey the rules and while obeying them, trying to escape and/or kill the CT's. For a full list of rules, check the motd in-game.

You also seem to see an extreme amount of bad language on our servers, we aren't trying to stop your son from enjoying the game, but the game is rated mature, and is reccomended for those who are 17 and up, it is not our responsibility if your son is exposed to such language because the game is supposed to be meant for 17 yr. old and up.

Also, we deeply apologize for those who have tried to do the bind key trick to your son, to unbind the key either type 'unbind mouse1', or to be safe your son didn't accidentally bind any other keys, type 'unbindall' in console. We hope your son enjoys our server, but there is nothing we can do for the language your son is hearing, if you want it so your son cannot hear the voice of other members type 'voice_enable 0' in console, this is not reccomeded for use in PB servers though, because CT's prefer to give commands through mic and will not be heard when disabled, which will very likely result in your sons death (in-game of course :P) To re-enable voice just do 'voice_enable 1' in console' you may need to restart CSS though. Thank you for your consideration and we hope you continue to play on our servers.

Toxin
2 Mar 2009, 08:00pm
Everything that was said. To be honest, when the server's son joins the server, we try to keep our language suitable for children, but we cannot promise anything.
And yes, try our minigame servers. They are a little complicated for little children, but are great fun with minimum ammount of killing involved!

Red
2 Mar 2009, 09:10pm
I remember cussing like a sailor when I was 8.

Maxwelldon
2 Mar 2009, 09:28pm
I remember cussing like a sailor when I was 8.
You should've seen me when I was 8 - I was cussin and insultin people so badly that I made even my teacher cry for sole reason of her bitching over me not knowing some simple math on first class. Got detention and my parents were sent a complaint about it :tape:

But yea, think the excessive cussing on SG servers should be considered as punishable offense since it's not fun to listen all the time people cuss like wold would be about to end.

LegalSmash
2 Mar 2009, 11:34pm
Okay, my comments here:

To the father:

Dear sir,

Thank you on behalf of the SG community, and on behalf of the administrative bodies that manage the site and servers. We, as well as they (hereinafter "we"), greatly appreciate you and your son's patronage to our website, and the servers.

Regarding language, SG prides itself in keeping a relatively clean server, racism is met with harsh, appropriate punitive action, as are images as tags which are considered inappropriate by a majority of the managing members of the site. The server administrators, and other ranking officers keep a vigilant watch for inappropriate conduct, and attempt to remedy said conduct as swiftly as possible.

This being said, while SG attempts in its utmost to police inappropriate conduct, there is currently not an acceptable way to preempt the use of profanity by gamers on the servers through the mic, nor is it reasonable to ban a player based on the occasional, or frequent uttering of profanity, non racially/religiously based insults. While the site will ban someone for frequent, bothersome mic transmissions, and if warned sufficiently, probably for overuse of certain terms and profane statements based on their use for antagonism to other players, the free use of profanity can not readily be controlled on the servers through punitive action, because it would detriment the quality of game in other aspects, as admins will be far too occupied watching for profanity to catch freekillers, team killers, hackers, and other more pressing, and game damaging forms of offenders.

Lastly, and stating with the utmost respect, perhaps the game, CSS is outside of the realm of appropriate for your young child. I realize that this may conflict with whatever your parenting philosophies must be, but ultimately it rests upon the custodial parent to care, maintain, and monitor their child, rather than the 17 year old server admin. While your concern is a valid, understandable one, please understand that the game, nor the server is really intended for someone under a certain age, and or maturity. Perhaps your son may enjoy DOD source, a source based game where many servers have bans on any profanity, and ban on such grounds. While you and your child are welcome here, it is scarcely fair or reasonable to require the remainder of the SG population to curtail their non racial/sexually based profanity, or to ask the server admins to take on the monumental
task of policing every profanity uttered via voip. Not every player is a total potty mouth on the server either, but you must keep in mind that your 8 year old is playing a game where the average player is between 14-40, the subject matter, as well as the voip commentary may not be entirely appropriate for his age.

Specifically, prison break requires a substantial amount of conversation between players, other servers maintained by SG such as any of the many zombie game servers and minigames may provide your child with a less profane, but nonetheless similar gaming experience.

We hope you and your son enjoy your time on the servers, and happy gaming.

-LS.

Svendy
3 Mar 2009, 01:05am
If you want him to try a server without much 'killing' then try out minigames servers, some good fun.

dont forget Hide and Seek.

and to the farther:
its nice to know you care about your child, SG does crurently not have 'no swere' policy.
the admins will take action if needed, dont worie about that.
if you or your child feels uncomfottable whit whats going on in any SG server, please let the admin(s) in the server know, if there ain't any on, contackt an admin either on ventrilo, steam or this sites chatbox and he/she will take care of it.

Daze
3 Mar 2009, 02:44am
Hey Grim Reaper,

I've had the pleasure of playing with your son on Surf pretty much everyday for the past month and let me tell you, he's a really nice kid. I've noticed he get's picked on because of age and his voice, which annoys me because the other kids only do it to look cool in front of others. At that point I would probably mute the offender for the rest of the game for disrespecting another player continuously. We were all 8 years old once, we all remember being bullied/looked down upon by someone older than us; that's why I try to keep it as calm and fair as possible when I'm in a server.

That being said about Surf, I haven't ventured much into Prison Break with your son, so I don't know what he's like when playing that mod. There's sometimes a fine line with what's legal and what you will be punished for.

2 general tips would be to go through the rules with your son, make sure he understands them all fully so there is no confusion (mainly PB as I see nothing wrong in surf) and to not always talk so much on his mic, it's understandable when your excited and you want to talk, but that's probably why he's picked on.

Thanks

tinkerbell
3 Mar 2009, 03:39am
1 fool proof way not freekill is to go T's no more complaining "he freekilled me!!!!!!!! ban him" as you can kill as many CT's as you want

Mystique
3 Mar 2009, 05:30am
I know prodigy for a while now and i know grim ever since i joined GsX about 1,5 year ago. Even before that.

Prodigy always asks me to come on the server cos they are picking on him or when someone is breaking rules.
And i promised Grim i would keep an eye on him when i have the time.

I will take the time to explain the rules from PB to both Grim and Prodigy and even take Prodigy to our other servers which i know he will enjoy.

CandleJack
3 Mar 2009, 05:55am
Well i know prodigy, ive surfed with him and when im on when hes on no one swears all that much.... the only real violence or swearing goes on in our pb servers, so if u want him to not hears these words as paul said go to the minigames server its some good fun and the only ay u can be banned there is if u glitch or mic spam:usa2:

trakaill
3 Mar 2009, 08:24am
legal said what I said in complicated words...lawyers...

|GsX| GrimReaper
3 Mar 2009, 04:51pm
WOW... I didn't mean to open a can of worms. Our community is very strict on language, and this is something we pride ourselves in, and the admins don't mind policing this along with all the usual rules. I was simply asking if it's even a rule around here, and it clearly is not.

I am glad to see that some of those who play with him spoke up. I've tried surfing and don't get it. If it comes down to it, I'm sure I can either host my own servers with these mods, or find him other servers, but he has basically followed Mystique here because that's what kids do. If only I could teach him that her name is not Mi Stick wa, lol.

I have tried to explain that he can't shoot unless they have a gun, are knifing him, or trying to escape. I totally don't understand the fun of JB. It looks boring to me, but I'm old. I would ask that if it's possible, perma ban him from JB on his next offense, but let him surf, since he's better at that. I do notice he gets carried away trying to police the surf server when freekillers are breaking the rules. If he gets too vocal, please tell him to chill out and quit bossing people. I do.

trakaill
3 Mar 2009, 05:19pm
If only I could teach him that her name is not Mi Stick wa, lol.

I cant pronouce it the ways she likes either :sad: .. its not a learning problem.. its a girl problem:dance:

But your son will be treated like any other player as far as rules or bans..3 PB bans = PB perm..unless you ask a high up to do it..

Edit: spiked you could have edited my fail quote >.<!!!!

Justice...
3 Mar 2009, 06:42pm
I have tried to explain that he can't shoot unless they have a gun, are knifing him, or trying to escape. I totally don't understand the fun of JB. It looks boring to me, but I'm old. I would ask that if it's possible, perma ban him from JB on his next offense, but let him surf, since he's better at that. .

well, when people get 2-3 freekilling offences, they normally get permed from PB only, since alot of shit is going on in there. But tbh, we have no proof that your his father, or you just try to get him permed from PB, but if he gets 1 more freekill ban, a admin might complain and a higher up might perm him from PB (letting him surf)

SpikedRocker
3 Mar 2009, 07:04pm
Overall, the policing of our servers is solely up to the admins. There are sometimes I've found some people tend to get a bit carried away dropping the F-bomb everywhere and I've basically told them to chill out. Typically it works. I agree a hostile game server sometimes isn't preforable but sometimes in the excitement of the game people get carried away, even I do. As far as the freekilling thing, the best way I think for him to learn how to play PB correctly is to be a Terrorist. Sure you don't get a gun, which appeals to a younger person more but you learn how the game is played very easily and I find it more challenging to be a terrorist anyway. Like a few others have said, we have dozen other servers that are just as fun and not as controversial to play on. Most children tend to like our Hide and Seek server, terrorists turn into props and have to hide through out the map while the couner terrorists try to determine who is what object. Gun Game is always a fun and fast paced game for the people with short attention spans. Zombie Escape is good for teamwork and meeting people (I met most of these people from the escape server). Death Run (one of my favorite servers) the craziest obstacle course ever. Mini-games offer probably the best rounded gameplay out of all of our servers. Hopefully your son will understand we need have a duty to our regular players to keep out the rule breakers the best we can so everyone has the best gaming experience possible. And it is my personal opinion our depth, size and lenght of being together and playing shows we are the best gaming community out there. We aren't too competitive but we aren't boring. This place is truely a diamond in the rough.

Ibbz
3 Mar 2009, 07:06pm
grim meet me on xfire ill talk to you

Mystique
3 Mar 2009, 11:29pm
But tbh, we have no proof that your his father, or you just try to get him permed from PB, but if he gets 1 more freekill ban, a admin might complain and a higher up might perm him from PB (letting him surf)

Uhmm Justice... I can safely say that he IS prodigy's father...

Ibbz
3 Mar 2009, 11:45pm
yes ill put my word on the line for that and if i may ask that his ban be lifted hes learning next time tell him hes a kid 8 year old i mean dont tell u guys never screwed up once or twice i know i screwed up alot still do doesnt mean he should be banned if this helps go easy on the kid i know i have no room to talk but im 19 i have a 5 year old son whos mother took him away to get back at me i know if prodigy was mine id raise more hell than satan does next time show him the ropes theres enough asses in servers it should be some kind kind of bot chat that should repeat the tules every 15 min
~~ Ibbz Out

Lux
4 Mar 2009, 03:23am
I usually try and look out for the younger members on servers, I give them ample chances and remind them of the rules, and if they are a bit too annoying I tell them that too.

But ultimately swearing is allowed, and rule breaking isn't allowed, whoever is doing it.

Determined2Win
4 Mar 2009, 04:39am
yes ill put my word on the line for that and if i may ask that his ban be lifted hes learning next time tell him hes a kid 8 year old i mean dont tell u guys never screwed up once or twice i know i screwed up alot still do doesnt mean he should be banned if this helps go easy on the kid i know i have no room to talk but im 19 i have a 5 year old son whos mother took him away to get back at me i know if prodigy was mine id raise more hell than satan does next time show him the ropes theres enough asses in servers it should be some kind kind of bot chat that should repeat the tules every 15 min
~~ Ibbz Out

He's unbanned now anyways, no need for this thread to any farther. Everyone did a decent job telling Grim/Prod how PB works and that we have other servers to enjoy. No need to continue past this post.

LOCK PLEASE.

-D2W