PDA

View Full Version : Multi Review

Frostbyte
27 Feb 2009, 01:44pm
This is a review of mods you can get for free on the Steam store.
(Granted you have HL2 or CSS)

First up is Insurgency.

Insurgency is a realistic combat scenario in which Iraqi insurgents are pitted against US Marines. The rule of the game is simple, capture and defend.

This game is very realistic, so running into the middle of the map, then unloading a clip into the sky is gonna get you killed almost instantly.

But if you are playing with freinds or you have a good team, this can be a load of fun.

Insurgents and Marines get a different arsenal of weapons, but they barely differ from one another with the exception of the iron sights. There is also somewhat of a customization for you avatar, which allows you to change helmets, skin tone, etc...

Features:
First person cover mechanic (extremely similar to the one in the original F.E.A.R)
Friendly fire (most servers run a plugin to kick TK'ers)
Recoil (gasp!)
Generally balanced maps

This gets an 8/10

Lets move on to Age of Chivalry.

Age of Chivalry is a mod that puts you into the shoes of a knight in the middle ages.
There are 3 classes to choose from ( weapons, protection, and weight )
Soldier: Well rounded, minor ranged abilities, moderate close range abilities & armor
Archer: Your choice of a Javelin, crossbow, or bow & arrow.
Knight: Slow, Powerful, Resistant to damage.

Imo, this game is hilarious. There are so many epic fail moments, and the killing in general makes me laugh. Some of the maps feature traps, which are hilarious too.

You can also decapitate someone (with a melee weapon) and the blood spouts, and its really funny. Headshots with a ranged weapon are funny too.

Most of the maps consist of re-enactments of battles from the middle ages and movies.
I played on a helms deep level, and a village level.

This mod gets an 8 too, because it is a clever take on first person, while delivering your daily lols.

I hope you enjoyed my review!:wave:

Toxin
27 Feb 2009, 02:43pm
Nice Review. I am writing a review on Zombiemaster (Free, but not too famous):

This game is a mod to HL2 and features the "normal" weapons of HL2 such as a rifle, uzi, etc.

The objective is to escape out of most maps. There are many different Zombie Types and a Zombie Master, who gets a birdseye view over the map and can spawn zombies for spawnpoints.

The Zombiemaster is unique to each level, he can decide if - and when - to activate traps or doors/elavtors etc. The Zombie Master requires some thinking, because one wrong move can cost you the game.
You gain Spawnpoints over time, and the more humans there are, the more you receive. You can choose out of a variety of zombies and use the enviroment to your advantage.

The humans have to escape out of the map. They can use firearms, melee weapons and barricades to help them achieve this objective. You can not heal in the game and once you die, you are put in spectator mode for the rest of the round.

Ganzta
27 Feb 2009, 05:22pm
im downloading them right now

MrGall
28 Feb 2009, 03:13am
Great post

Frostbyte
28 Feb 2009, 07:57am
ZOMBIE PANIC SOURCE REVIEW COMING SOON!

Repus
28 Feb 2009, 09:20am
Synergy is best! Then is zombie master bc its so unique.

I don't like zombie panic at all, i got killed by 1 human with pistol and as human i had only keyboard as weapon then i quit.

Frostbyte
28 Feb 2009, 09:30am
I havent played Synergy, but Ill be sure to check it out later.

Ganzta
28 Feb 2009, 06:58pm
I've downloaded both game. I dont quite like Insurgency because I feel that the gameplay is very platitudinous. On the other hand, Age of Chivalry is awesome: the hilarious battle scenes, the overdramatic spilling of bloods and body parts flying around. Thanks for the review frost.

Demented
28 Feb 2009, 09:33pm
Great Post, I agree.

AOC Is Great Game.

Huwajux
1 Mar 2009, 01:42pm
Again, a description, not a review. :tongue: However it is one bloody decent description. ^^

But you have persuaded me to try Age of Chivalry.

Mammal
2 Mar 2009, 10:50am
Again, a description, not a review. :tongue: However it is one bloody decent description. ^^

But you have persuaded me to try Age of Chivalry.

Try Pirates, Vikings, knights II ineast, its much more epic :D