PDA

View Full Version : Is computer games harmful?

Svendy
18 Feb 2009, 03:11am
i'm writing a report on this topic, and i need a few thing.
if anyone could link me to some scientific reserch results and journals, give your opinions and ideas for my report please reply to this.

you are very welcome to descuse on this topic, as it might help me

Please seriouse replys ONLY, not like "i like gamez, they is not bad for U!!1!"

Jazz
18 Feb 2009, 04:09am
For me, no.

Seriously i joined this community and everyone talked english in mic so i got better at speaking English! And my accent became better!

And i've learned a few new words!!! And some soldier tacticts: Not just run straight and get shot. But camp with a sniper and blast the enemy! :thumb:

Jaffa
18 Feb 2009, 04:20am
http://www.apa.org/releases/videogames.html
http://iblsjournal.typepad.com/illinois_business_law_soc/2006/04/violent_video_g.html
http://pdfserve.informaworld.com/632111_751306972_781880225.pdf

Got these three in google. Search using this: are computer games harmful? journal

gets lots of results

Wrathek
18 Feb 2009, 06:04am
if they taught you to spell like this? yes.

Toxin
18 Feb 2009, 06:19am
Is Computer Games harmful?

Rofl. Google it, copy it. In my opinion, its not. As longs as you enjoy it in reasonable ammounts.

Svendy
18 Feb 2009, 06:46am
you wanna be my fucking spell checkers?! FUCKING GREAT!! its not my fucking native language, normally i do spell check it but i'm at school and not allowed to be on any social sites, IM clients, ect. between 7am and 6pm. also i bet you would have alot of errors if you were writing danish! there is a deffrence between danish and english

Jaffa
18 Feb 2009, 06:48am
lol svendy he's just joking around :P

Svendy
18 Feb 2009, 06:51am
yeah... i know, i'm just having a bad day...

GrayFox
18 Feb 2009, 07:10am
you wanna be my fucking spell checkers?! FUCKING GREAT!! its not my fucking native language, normally i do spell check it but i'm at school and not allowed to be on any social sites, IM clients, ect. between 7am and 6pm. also i bet you would have alot of errors if you were writing danish! there is a deffrence between danish and english

Still, WATCH YOUR FUCKING MOUTH! :laugh:

SilentGuns
18 Feb 2009, 08:06am
Computer games are not harmful if you have control over yourself . I used to be a PC game addict , but I got hold of my self and only play on weekends now ^^

Itch
18 Feb 2009, 08:26am
Excellent book (http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Bad-Good-Steven-Johnson/dp/1594481946/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234969404&sr=8-1) that talks about Video Games and the benefits. It also has a great example of reading vs computer games. A role reversal if you will. I know this is long.. but well worth it..

To get around these prejudices, try this thought experiment. Imagine an alternate world identical to ours save one techno-historical change: video games were invented and popularized before books. In this parallel universe, kids have been playing games for centuries--and then these page-bound texts come along and suddenly they're all the rage. What would teachers, and the parents, and the cultural authorities have to say about this frenzy of reading? I suspect it would sound something like this:

Reading books chronically understimulates the senses. Unlike the longstanding tradition of gameplaying--which engages the child in vivid, three-dimensional world filled with moving images and musical soundscapes, navigated and controlled with complex muscular movements--books are simply a barren string of words on a page. Only a small portion of the brain devoted to processing written language is activated during reading, while games engage the full range of the sensory and motor cortices.
Books are also tragically isolating. While games have for many years engaged the young in complex social relationships with their peers, building and exploring worlds together, books force the child to sequester him or herself in a quiet space, shut off from interaction with other children. These new "libraries" that have arisen in the recent years to facilitate reading activities are a frightening sight: dozens of young children, normally so vivacious and socially interactive, sitting alone in cubicles, reading silently, oblivious to their peers.

Also: New York Times article about benefits of First Person Shooters. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E00E1D61E31F93AA15756C0A9659C8B 63

Toxin
18 Feb 2009, 10:58am
Gosh Svendy, you know I'm not that kind of person, how would I know you would freak out about such as small joke?

Repus
19 Feb 2009, 02:46am
Play as much as you can before they start making those that control by your brain, boring as hell! Even the monkey they tested it got bored.

Axel
19 Feb 2009, 09:06am
It is said that playing a game or watching television after coming home from school can improve your mind
This is from that Brain Training game so they know what they're talking about ^^
Of course there is a limit on how much you should watch and play.

Cooki3Monsta
19 Feb 2009, 12:03pm
Oh god not one of these. I will link you to my thread I made a long time ago if i can find it. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lounge/39507-do-video-games-ruin-your-children.html

PotshotPolka
19 Feb 2009, 03:09pm
Are videogames harmful? Yeah, the boxes have alot of tape on them and you might cut your fingers while opening them with a pair of scissors.

Hazardous
19 Feb 2009, 03:47pm
Yeah... I know, I'm just having a bad day...

fixed.

Cooki3Monsta
19 Feb 2009, 07:28pm
Obviously people who are old enough to play most games won't think they are bad. Look at what wow did to obez man. its horrible stuff.

Chêvouÿx
19 Feb 2009, 07:33pm
Speak of the devil, a friend of mine just turned in a science project on the very same question.

I can't give you specific sources, but here's a summary of what he found:

People who control their videogame time (in other words, people who are able to comfortably get off the computer and do other things that would be productive and/or healthy such as doing HW or exercising) turn out to be decent commoners and do well in school.

However, people who cannot control their videogame time (in other words, people who are pure addicts; their addiction is gaming, their time of relaxtion is gaming) usually end up to be either: social rejections, criminals at some level whether low or high, and do horribly in school or any kind of educational environment.

No problem :amuse:

Bullet Wound
19 Feb 2009, 08:17pm
Video games are just today's scapegoat from the real issues of parenting, 10 years ago (or something like that) the scapegoat was violent television and movies. The real issue is the fact that parents are no longer being parents anymore, instead of spending time with their children they are just letting the children be entertained by T.V and video games.

What parents will do now is leave their children (lets say they have 2) in a room, alone usually, with only a T.V, a computer, or a console to entertain them. They will come back sometime later and find their children fighting or something, look at the T.V and go "The T.V/Video games made my children violent!". No idiot Parents YOU made your kids violent, by not teaching them the difference between right and wrong. This example is used for smaller children, older kids usually end up being linked to video games later on after they have done something wrong. The media will see this and immediately jump on it, with out recognizing the other facts like how the teen usually has an unbalance home.

Anyways like i said, its just today's scapegoat, there is some merit to video games causing people to be aggressive, however that's usually only if they don't have the fundamental morals of right and wrong understood.

Itch
20 Feb 2009, 08:31am
Video games are just today's scapegoat from the real issues of parenting, 10 years ago (or something like that) the scapegoat was violent television and movies. The real issue is the fact that parents are no longer being parents anymore, instead of spending time with their children they are just letting the children be entertained by T.V and video games.

What parents will do now is leave their children (lets say they have 2) in a room, alone usually, with only a T.V, a computer, or a console to entertain them. They will come back sometime later and find their children fighting or something, look at the T.V and go "The T.V/Video games made my children violent!". No idiot Parents YOU made your kids violent, by not teaching them the difference between right and wrong. This example is used for smaller children, older kids usually end up being linked to video games later on after they have done something wrong. The media will see this and immediately jump on it, with out recognizing the other facts like how the teen usually has an unbalance home.

Anyways like i said, its just today's scapegoat, there is some merit to video games causing people to be aggressive, however that's usually only if they don't have the fundamental morals of right and wrong understood.

Lies.. It's musics fault!

Svendy
21 Feb 2009, 04:07am
thanks for all the feedback, it is all very usefull!

@ Avro: any chance i could get linked to his work?

Votefail.
25 Feb 2009, 07:31pm
are computer games harmful... NO not physically, psychologically yeah you get addicted and play alot xD

James
26 Feb 2009, 06:01am
They are only harmful when you become obsessed with them. But that isn't the games fault, it's your inablity to stop.

Besides, games like beat-em-ups (street fighter, final fight streets of rage, mortal combat etc etc) are harmless in my opinion, just mindless fun. It only becomes serious when some idiot tries to take it too far and goes leeroy jenkins and samcks someone with a bat.

Demented
28 Feb 2009, 09:37pm
It all depends on you. Everyone has a different opinion.

Desum
28 Feb 2009, 10:45pm
Well, i've been obsessed with the computer and video games since i was 9... with the computer I started with Runescape, worked my way up to WoW, while on the PS2 i played a lot of FPS's, Bloody games, etc. I played WoW for about 1 and a half - 2 years or so, then i didn't have enough money to keep paying, so i just moved on... I don't recall going into a psycho berserk rage by throwing my keyboard through the wall while shouting "F*CK THIS BULLSH*T F*CKING BULL F*CK MY LIFE SUCKS I THINK IMA GO F*CKING KILL MYSELF BECAUSE WoW WAS SO GODDAMN F*CKING AWESOME!!"... To the people who think video games are addictive, seriously, go F*ck yourself. I left WoW uninstalled, went on the internet for a few weeks, googled some shit, then went to Best Buy and went "Oh sweet, Counter-Strike: Source, this looks cool." Lets get something clear... There's two types of addiction: Physical, and Mental. Physical addiction is where when you stop doing something(I.E, taking drugs) your body rejects the sudden change and start vomiting uncontrollably, having fierce diarrhea, etc. Then theres Mental Addiction, which is when your mind basically forces you to keep doing the same thing(I.E, again, taking drugs... Drugs is pretty much the only area where the phrase "addicted" should EVER be used.) or else causes you extreme mental stress and often makes you go into a psychotic breakdown.. If you think something like World of Warcraft or Counter-Strike: Source can cause either of the two, you're an idiot.

My high school has this deal thing with the Channel One News network(If you're in an American school, you might know if it too... They usually donate to schools in exchange for the school turning the Channel One news on everyday), and a few months ago they were doing a topic that was revisiting the topic that "Video games ruin kid's minds"... their study found that about 96%(I think it was something like that, i know it was in the mid/late 90's) of kids and teenagers who were active within internet or online video games(As in, constantly communicating and playing with others via online) were much more successful in life, and had a higher chance of being successful in politics... Which makes sense, i mean, think of EVERY online video game you've ever played. Be it nooby runescape, World of Warcraft, or CSS... Each of those if you play it at least weekly for a few years, will provide you with THOUSANDS of experiences with ALL types of people. I've met nerds, geeks, 10 year old immature dweebs, intellectual 13 year olds, philosophical 16 year olds, hard working middle class men in their 30's, drunken college kids, Atheists, scientologists, ignorant rednecks, ignorant muslims, and pretty much every other type of person you can think of. I've developed a way to deal with pretty much ALL of them, and i believe my vast experience over the internet helped me mature faster than my age group. I have a strong feeling that eventually that 15 years worth of working in an office in only 6-7 years of video gaming experience will pay off..

vixen
2 Mar 2009, 02:20pm
It's always been my contention that if it isn't negatively affecting your life, it's fine. It's all about doing things in moderation.

One thing I find odd though is that people look at me weird when I say that I don't watch TV. "OMG that's too freaky" isn't an unusual statement. Things escalate more when these people find out I play shooter games online. "OMG online gaming is so violent!" and "You need to unplug from your computer" are other statements I hear.

Why am I a freak for not watching TV? Is TV somehow "better" for you than being on your computer? I'd think that using your brain to move and strategize, and enhancing your eye/hand coordination thru mouse usage would be infinitely better for you than sitting in front of the TV for 6-8 hrs. Playing online can be frustrating at times, but it's also a form of real-time interaction with other people like myself. If I come home frustrated, I can blow off some of that steam by harmlessly killing a few hundred players. Am I exposing my self to violence? ABSOLUTELY, but you can't tell me that people watching TV are being sheltered from violence... TV is full of it!

It's all about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, not what we do during our free time.