PDA

View Full Version : Empire: Total War

Jaffa
16 Feb 2009, 06:55am
Release date set as Tuesday 3rd March, anyone else excited?

Playable factions announced so far are Britain, France, Sweden, Ottamans, United Provinces (Netherlands/Belguim), Russia, Spain, Prussia, Poland-Lithuania and Austria. They are announcing new factions as the release grows closer (there will almost certainly be an "American" faction)!

Game date starts 1700, and includes North and South America, Africa, Europe, Middle-East, India, and i think south-east asia.

Dracula
16 Feb 2009, 06:56am
Baby imma dominate duh world with France ;D

Lux
16 Feb 2009, 07:00am
It sounds like its getting into that era where it starts to get boring.

This is how Age of Empires 3 failed. Moving from pre gunpowder (ok there were some cannons but, mostly sword/archer units) to post gunpowder makes a big difference.

Might buy it still...but the expansions are a rip off.

Italian Jew
16 Feb 2009, 08:10am
I've been waiting for this one to come out.

Jaffa
16 Feb 2009, 08:58am
I forgot to mention it actually has proper naval combat in it!

A few years ago there was a rts game called Imperial Glory, using a total war style game engine, and with ship combat etc. Was fun, had some bad bugs in it, and stupidly OP AI, but is worth looking into

Crimson
16 Feb 2009, 01:48pm
Already pre-ordered my copy!!!

Harpr33t
16 Feb 2009, 05:18pm
no india?

Jaffa
16 Feb 2009, 05:51pm
no india?

Release date set as Tuesday 3rd March, anyone else excited?

Playable factions announced so far are Britain, France, Sweden, Ottamans, United Provinces (Netherlands/Belguim), Russia, Spain, Prussia, Poland-Lithuania and Austria. They are announcing new factions as the release grows closer (there will almost certainly be an "American" faction)!

Game date starts 1700, and includes North and South America, Africa, Europe, Middle-East, India, and i think south-east asia.

Italian Jew
16 Feb 2009, 06:19pm
no india?

England was beginning to own the world at the time, including India.

Jaffa
17 Feb 2009, 02:37am
There will be several indian factions i'm sure, and they'll probably make one playable (if not all, if they nclude the all factions unlock again)

Jaffa
17 Feb 2009, 09:07am
I'm thinking about buying the "special edition" version for £10 more, it gives you some unique units for some of the nations, such as HMS Victory, plus a campaign map and the usual extras

Jaffa
17 Feb 2009, 10:56am
Bu i neeeedddsss HMS Victory to complete by great British navy

LegalSmash
17 Feb 2009, 11:07am
I may give this one a gander when its in the 29 or less bin. I've played every total war game that has come out, and to be honest, the best two were shogun and rome. Rome's expansion was ass, and while I own MTW2, I cannot say that it is my favorite. They spent so much time trying to tiptoe around the issue of religion, that it did not make the impact that it should have. Reality is, (I'm catholic, and if your offended by this, fuck off, because any real catholic is willing to admit it) the Catholic church at the time had as much political power as ANY nation, even more, imho, as the pope could rally countries to causes based on calling faith into Q, the game fails to truly convey this, making the pope about as effective as the senate in RTW, while the senate was more or less accurate, the pope was much more despotic in those times, be it in ordering crusades, the persecution of jews and muslims out of Europe, and sanctioning the massacres at Acre, and other crusader kingdoms by not condemning what would have been actions unworthy of a christian warrior of the time. Similarly, the game did not lend enough weight to the Orthodox church's influence in history at the time, it was pretty much just a church used in the manner the muslims in the game where shown, indep arbiters, based on priest/imam by priest/imam obligation and activity. Both of these concepts were incorrect at the time. The game goes well into the 15-16th century, but makes no light of the protestant reformation, or the influence of the jewish faith on the period. I think the game tried to be so PC that it missed the boat entirely on one of the most influential issues in midieval society, religion.

I hope ETW is good, I love the TW series, and creative assembly is one of the few companies out there that do not seem to be effected by EA level retardation in game design. I hope they create a balanced, and well designed game, and not suffer the pitfalls they did with MTW2, where a HUMONGOUS patch was needed on day 2.

Jaffa
17 Feb 2009, 11:48am
Its a new engine i think, so i'm expecting bugs etc, but hopefully the main product will be good enough

Lux
17 Feb 2009, 04:44pm
Considering in this kind of period the protestant part of Christianity started becoming apparent religion might have a bigger role, although I really don't like how people revolt over religion, especially when you can only convert about 3% of religion every turn and you need about 10 units and no tax + yearly games to stop a rebellion, and your King/Prince/Etc dies anyway.

Jaffa
18 Feb 2009, 05:49am
Some more info:

Empire: Total War comes packing a mode called "Road to Independence" which is divided into three chapters and lets you play through the development of the United States of America. Starting out as British settlers in the New World, you'll establish the colony of Jamestown, before taking on the French and the Native Americans and eventually trying to defeat the British in the war of independence.

And:

Creative Assembly is planning on introducing multiplayer campaign support after launch, so you and a friend (it's a one-on-one affair) can head into the Grand Campaign mode, tweak a whole set of parameters (100 turns or 200? How fast must a turn be taken? In what situations will battles auto-resolve?), then vie with one another for global supremacy. The best part is how flexible the system promises to be. On one hand, you don't even need to be online at the same time. The game is saved to Steam so you can take turns. You can even have several games on the go at the same time. On the other, you can go in and watch your friend's battle during real-time combat. From what we understand, you can even choose to take over from the enemy AI.

Jaffa
18 Feb 2009, 07:41am
Havok its being released shortly after the actual game as a downloadable beta version

Jaffa
18 Feb 2009, 07:53am
Good thing if its gonna be an open beta is that it'll be constantly upgraded and made better, and this will mean the normal version will be patched a lot as well

Jaffa
19 Feb 2009, 09:06am
The Maratha Empire or Confederacy was born in violence, as the result of the successful overthrow of Mughal rule less than a generation ago. Raja (king) Shivaji managed to gain control of the Pune region, and from then Mughal power was no longer invincible. As might be expected, the Mughals and the Marathas still nurse a dislike for each other.

Unlike the foreign (in origin) Mughals, the Maratha rulers are Indian princes and kings. They know the value of the Indian way of doing things, of the age-old strength of their lands. Their armies may look old fashioned, possibly quaint, to foreign eyes but that makes them no less effective. The empire exists solely because it has the military strength to withstand the Mughal threat.

Perhaps now, though, it is time to think of expansion. It may no longer be enough to hold off the Mughals; perhaps they should be driven from India altogether, and a new empire with Indian rulers established. Perhaps only Indians truly have the ability to withstand the Europeans who are starting to demand much of India. For now, the Europeans want only money and trade, but soon they will be after concessions, a little piece of land here, another piece there, until all is ruled by foreigners from across the sea. Unless a strong hand guides India, it is possible that the rule of Mughal outsiders will be replaced by the lordship of European outsiders.

And perhaps, one day, a Maratha could demand concessions from a European, in his lands...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This will be the main payable Indian faction

Super-Unknown
20 Feb 2009, 09:53am
The demo is out now on Steam.

LegalSmash
20 Feb 2009, 10:12am
the game is a hell of a resource whore, look at the minimum graphics requirement, wtf bbq, I'm not getting this until a graphics upgrade else my graphics would be at minimum spex.

Jaffa
22 Feb 2009, 04:32pm
My computer can run the demo on high specs fine (not sure how as i have vista and only 3 gigs of ram)

Playing wise, it seems more focused on utilising your range (i.e muskets and cannons) to weaken your opponents, before charging them.

LegalSmash
22 Feb 2009, 04:45pm
My computer can run the demo on high specs fine (not sure how as i have vista and only 3 gigs of ram)

Playing wise, it seems more focused on utilising your range (i.e muskets and cannons) to weaken your opponents, before charging them.

I'm not concerned about ram, I'm concerned about the graphics card issue. It requires a min of a 256MB card, that is pretty much on par with world at war... and more than crysis. I'm not really feeling like paying 50 to pay a game at min specs when most current games are min 128, and I can get at least high to med specs.

Kennith
23 Feb 2009, 12:51am
For some reason, I am having HUGE loading times, game runs perfect, no problem, but when it loads, takes forever...

Jaffa
23 Feb 2009, 05:16am
Same with loading times, might be a demo related thing, but i do seem to remember loading times for rome and medival weren't exactly short.

Graphics wise, i doubt 256 is the minimum, despite what they say. If you look at the graphics options tab, there is a lot of stuff you can do without. Depends how much you love your anti-aliasing, etc.

EDIT:>>>>>>

Just loaded up demo again, and it seemed to load a lot quicker, not sure if it took long first time around because of creating temporary files or something...

Naval battles are so awesome, nothing more satisfying than leading your battle line fo ships alongside the french and unleashing your big ships (2nd rates) broadsides on each enemy in turn

Kennith
23 Feb 2009, 01:20pm
Same, I think it's just the demo.

Okay, because yea, thats a bit too much for loading times. lol I'd actually not buy the game if load times were that long :/

Jaffa
23 Feb 2009, 04:24pm
judging by the previous games, the loading time varies upon the amount of units and type of map its on. Also, the loading times seem to get shorter the more you play, so i think that its usually only long the first time, because its creating files or something

PotshotPolka
25 Feb 2009, 03:11pm
I set everything to Ultra, and crashed the moment I moved units, lol.

It could be that the game is still unstable, are they doing that same retarded thing with lower gfx levels = less units per army?

Jaffa
25 Feb 2009, 03:38pm
i think i used automatic, and it set everything to the highest, or near enough :P

Lux
25 Feb 2009, 07:13pm
Medium settings on and got extreme lag on the land tutorial, but none on the naval tutorial..

Jaffa
26 Feb 2009, 02:11am
what speed were you playing on?

Lux
28 Feb 2009, 11:27am
http://uk.media.pc.ign.com/media/958/958390/imgs_1.html

Check some of them out.

I cannot wait!

I jizzed ma pants

DragonClawX
28 Feb 2009, 08:02pm
I'm so excited! I can't wait more time. I want EMPIRE TOTAL WAR! It's sure that I will buy it. I already have Medieval II and Rome Total War and those games rock. Empire Total War gonna be better than those two games. I think that the better faction is the Bretain or the USA. Why there isn't Canada? :cry: Don't answer that question.. I know that the country wasn't create.

jigglebelljr
2 Mar 2009, 05:48pm
the game is freaky insain i been hooked for 3 days its one of the sickest games i ever palyed

Jaffa
3 Mar 2009, 02:35am
I assume you mean the demo, the game isn't out for another 8 hours :P

Lux
3 Mar 2009, 10:57am
I assume you mean the demo, the game isn't out for another 8 hours :P

I would assume hes just trying to fit in

Lux
3 Mar 2009, 11:44am
Heres some interesting......When you preorder before tommorow (so basically today or never) from one of play.com , game and amazon you will get 1 of these unique units with your game.

Play.com: USS Constitution: this unit is available when playing as the USA and your technology has sufficiently advanced. It may also be captured by opposing factions.
Game.co.uk: Death’s Head Hussars: this unit is available when playing as Prussia and your technology has sufficiently advanced. Prussia must also hold Brandenburg.
Amazon.co.uk: Dahomey Amazons: this unit is available when holding territory in North Africa.

These units are unique to the Special Forces Edition

Bulkeley’s Regiment: this unit is available when playing as France and/or controlling Ireland.
Ghoorkas: this unit is available when controlling the Kashmir territory provided the territory requirements are met.
Corso Terrestre Guerillas: this unit is available when playing as Spain and your technology has sufficiently advanced.
HMS Victory: this unit is available when playing as Britain and your technology has sufficiently advanced. It may also be captured by opposing factions.
Ottoman Organ Gun: this unit is available when playing as the Ottoman Empire and your technology has sufficiently advanced.
Rogers Rangers: this unit is available in American theatre when playing as Britain and your technology has sufficiently advanced.

Now being the true fan of total war, I am going to buy the Special Forces Edition, which is available from all of these sites for £35. If you want to buy the standard edition then Amazon are your best bet because they are selling it for £24. For some reason however, the American version of Amazon isn't so nice :usa2:

I am also preordering it so I will get to use Dahomey Amazons.

I'm sure loads of us are buying the game so lets all meet up and play online together :embarrest:

Lux
3 Mar 2009, 01:11pm
I would, but I don't have enough money on my debit account at the moment. Will I be able get the SF edition after tomorrow?

HMS Victory would be good. Don't really care about any of the other ones.

Oh, and would it be available in shops? GAME, HMV, etc.?

Yeah.......the only thing you will miss out on is 1 of the 3 pre order units. Although that is pre order for Amazon, I'm not sure if you can get the game unit afterwards.

HMS Victory is one of the special edition troops which you will get indefinitely.

You can buy the special edition from any store, I think that it is £35 in most stores, whilst the normal edition is about £30.

Jaffa
3 Mar 2009, 01:44pm
Don't try and get it direct from steam, not only is it very expensive, but apparently is downloading at a snail's pace

PotshotPolka
3 Mar 2009, 01:57pm
Don't try and get it direct from steam, not only is it very expensive, but apparently is downloading at a snail's pace

I like Steam, I've never had a DL fall under 500kbs.

Lux
3 Mar 2009, 02:00pm
I like Steam, I've never had a DL fall under 500kbs.

Been trying to dl this demo and everytime after about 2 hours of 120kbs (the most I ever get on steam) the download freezes

Jaffa
3 Mar 2009, 02:33pm
Its poor download proabably because there was no pre load so everyone is trying to download 15gigs of empire total war

PotshotPolka
4 Mar 2009, 08:32am
I'm buying it now on Steam, it'll take a while.

Jaffa
4 Mar 2009, 08:36am
I've only played a little so far (damn work), but heading home now to play more

Campaign map looks really nice, i would recommend playing the USA road to revolution special campaign first, as its kinda like a tutorial campaign to work you into the game and get used to it

PotshotPolka
4 Mar 2009, 06:58pm
Awesome so far, anybody tinkered with MP at all?

Jaffa
8 Mar 2009, 09:29am
just noticed soemthing cool, i researched a new military tech, and now when i set up to defend a land battle, it gives me the option to dig trenches and set up wire barricades with my infantry!