PDA

View Full Version : F.E.A.R 2 Super Short Review

andre1028
13 Feb 2009, 09:19am
I'm just going to sum up the game shortly.

The Single Player is pretty good, a little bit more firefights than scare fests and there are a lot of new enemies, new weapons, and a new environment. The ending is a bit... interesting (*Spoiler!!!* you impregnate Alma) but overall I find the story very well written and the single player very fun even though it's pretty short.

On another note for the Single Player the voice acting is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I also just noticed that the women on your team is voiced by Jen Taylor who voiced Cortana on Halo. I always figured I would never escape her anyways lol. The sounds were pretty well made and interesting. Things like muffled up gunfire if you were seperated a couple rooms from where the actual shooting is happening are in the game.

The Multiplayer isn't that great. There's a ranking system along with custom load outs, server selection, unranked and ranked games, and a meh couple of designed MP maps. What pissed me off that there is NO ANTI-CHEAT System AT ALL and I haven't seen any dedicated servers meaning that it's just a host fest lol. The community of players are pretty friendly consisting of mostly previous F.E.A.R players.

Oh yeah... there's no voice chat system or friends system and some kind of achievement system which isn't linked to Steam (which I find very homosexual)

The Gameplay is basically the same as the first F.E.A.R. The only things new is that you have to sprint then you can slide kick. There is no leaning like the first game. The slowmo feels is more "slow" and it lasts much longer as far as I know. The limit of medipacks was three unlike the first game which was ten. The body armour doesn't supply at 25 armour per vest, each vest is now full. The weapons are pretty well balanced and the enemies are pretty damn easy to kill even on Hard. The Melee seems a bit unbalanced though and harder than of the first F.E.A.R, I also haven't found out how to completely holster your weapons. What else is pretty stupid is that the frag grenades aren't contact explode like the first F.E.A.R plus theres a sight system lol.

The AI of the enemies were.. a tad boring but very intelligent. They do run to cover but end up separating from each other making the firefights a tad easy.

The difficulty of this game was pretty mediocre. I managed to not die a couple intervals in a row on Hard.

The overall look of the game was pretty good. The game looked beautiful and it ran great on my 9500GT (I got an average of 40 fps with all settings on maximum, 1024x768 res, and vsync off.) The only graphical glitches I have encountered was the lack of dynamic shadows unlike the first F.E.A.R and that your player shadow disappeared in the stupidest places (I.E under a light)

The controls are basically the standard of most FPS`s and are the same as the first F.E.A.R. It took me only about two minutes in game to get used to the controls comfortably.

Overall the game is pretty good. If you`re new to first person shooters or if you played the first game (or its expansion packs) you will like this game. It isn`t really worth $50 though so I suggest you buy it later when it is either patched or cheaper.

I give this game an 8 out of 10.

Psyche
13 Feb 2009, 10:01am
I also thought there were more firefights and a lot less scary parts. Those abominations get me everytime though.

trakaill
13 Feb 2009, 10:15am
I played the demo and got to scared to buy it :sad:

Italian Jew
13 Feb 2009, 10:22am
Its just a "meh" game for me. It has good environmental incidents, but nothing along the lines of great gameplay or replay value. Not a game you'd want to buy unless you were amazed by the first one.

Psyche
13 Feb 2009, 01:23pm
I thought it was a great disappointment to the first, it had scary moments but when they were done with you knew you wouldn't have to deal with another for a good 6 minutes, in fear 1 they would happen repetitively so you never felt safe.

Matroshka
13 Feb 2009, 07:47pm
Fear 2 is amazing i replayed it after i beat it. totally worth buying

jigglebelljr
13 Feb 2009, 09:15pm
I am scared of that game i not a babby but it gives me nightmares

Metal
13 Feb 2009, 09:55pm
i want to play it but the ending....... god damn

G-Man
14 Feb 2009, 11:37am
Even though it seems like theres less scary parts than the first, how are the few scary parts that are there? Are they scarier than the first, less scary?

andre1028
14 Feb 2009, 11:47am
Even though it seems like theres less scary parts than the first, how are the few scary parts that are there? Are they scarier than the first, less scary?

The F.E.A.R 1 scary parts are much more scarier while the F.E.A.R 2 scary parts are much more disorienting and weird.