PDA

View Full Version : Things I hate about RTS

Cobra Commander
8 Feb 2009, 11:03pm
The one thing that gets me the most about RTS is how unproportional units are. Like a freaking infantry dude is the size of a building yet he towers over most tanks and vehicles...

I swear the next time that 5 infantry dudes can come up and completley destroy the best unit in the game within seconds I'm calling it quits on RTS games...

LVG
9 Feb 2009, 01:16am
Some infantry are bigger in like Red alert games but they don't destroy a base or the best unit lol, i sense QQ on RTS any one specifically?

James
9 Feb 2009, 05:03am
PRO-TIP: If said player uses lots of infantry, spam lots of anti-infantry XD

CandleJack
9 Feb 2009, 05:53am
i hate rts's all together, the only ones i can play are like the game that cobra described, others like dreamlord are a complete waste of time, this is because i can never figure out the controls for it and i end up quiting

SOLANUM
9 Feb 2009, 06:29am
i hate rts's all together, the only ones i can play are like the game that cobra described, others like dreamlord are a complete waste of time, this is because i can never figure out the controls for it and i end up quiting

Read the manuals you fool.

LegalSmash
9 Feb 2009, 06:32am
Read the manuals you fool.

Refer to this point.

Lux
9 Feb 2009, 05:01pm
Main thing I don't like about RTS's is generally the non customized battles.

When I play games like Age of Empires and Warcraft, I head straight for the custom maps, because generally I find them alot more fun, and alot less tiring/boring than an hour of hard concentrating and eco/microing.

mNote
12 Feb 2009, 04:58am

When I play games like Age of Empires and Warcraft, I head straight for the custom maps, because generally I find them alot more fun, and alot less tiring/boring than an hour of hard concentrating and eco/microing.

I can see where you're getting at.

I'm playing COH and I'm starting to get bored of it already.

GrayFox
12 Feb 2009, 05:06am

But with the non-customized maps, I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something when I win, whereas with custom maps where I used to just give me millions of gold, food, wood, and stone. Now that I've learned how to hold my own pretty well against the computers on Hard, its much more satisfying after playing a 2 hour game and seeing my name with the crown and ribbon.

Lux
12 Feb 2009, 07:24am
But with the non-customized maps, I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something when I win, whereas with custom maps where I used to just give me millions of gold, food, wood, and stone. Now that I've learned how to hold my own pretty well against the computers on Hard, its much more satisfying after playing a 2 hour game and seeing my name with the crown and ribbon.

TBH, On AOE I was beating computers on hardest when I was a kid!!!

I don't think you quite understand what I mean by custom maps. Not just millions of resources, I mean completely different concepts of the game. Using the map editor people have made maps A LOT different, and I really like alot of them.

For example...the most popular type of custom in AOE, "bloods"

The basics is that you have your own base, and you spawn units "usually they spawn automatically, when you reach your pop limit they stop and, if a unit dies they start spawning again" It will usually start with a rubbish unit, like an archer and after you get kills (e.g 100) a better unit starts to spawn. The object will be to kill the enemies tower or castles etc in their base. It is a bit more complicated than that though.

There are lots more like that, if you look in Warcraft 3 custom maps Dota is a good example of something completely different. AOE/AOC online at igzones.com has some good custom/normal online games too.

Red
12 Feb 2009, 09:34am
SUPREME COMMANDER NOOBS

Omar
12 Feb 2009, 09:38am
SUPREME COMMANDER NOOBS

Lol, i rage quited it, couldn't complete first lvl,

The controls are mind fuck.

Red
12 Feb 2009, 09:49am
It does have a steep learning curve, but it's soooooo massive it's awesome. We spent 3 hours last night playing a game lol.

Slavic
12 Feb 2009, 10:10am
I no likes RTSz cause I no think good strategery

Frostbyte
12 Feb 2009, 01:07pm
Personally, Age of Mythology is the best RTS I have played to date.

Lux
12 Feb 2009, 03:51pm
Personally, Age of Mythology is the best RTS I have played to date.

Yeah, I really used to enjoy playing this game. The single player campaign was really good, and the Titans expansion was well worth the money.

andre1028
12 Feb 2009, 04:48pm
I LOVE STARCRAFT.

broncoty
12 Feb 2009, 08:29pm
haha I just got red alert 3.

I likey teh hotz girl commandrs persons.

http://images.bit-tech.net/news_images/2008/08/full-red-alert-3-cast-revealed/b.jpg

andre1028
12 Feb 2009, 10:01pm
haha I just got red alert 3.

I likey teh hotz girl commandrs persons.

http://images.bit-tech.net/news_images/2008/08/full-red-alert-3-cast-revealed/b.jpg

WTF a Sergeant is one of the commanders?

broncoty
12 Feb 2009, 10:08pm
WTF a Sergeant is one of the commanders?

haha idk shes not a commander she like briefs you before you go fight the evil russians

andre1028
12 Feb 2009, 10:10pm
haha idk shes not a commander she like briefs you before you go fight the evil russians

Sounds cool. Ill see if I can pick up this game later this month :P

ReGIONALS
7 Mar 2009, 11:03pm

refer to red alert 2/3 online gameplay is great as hell.
there will be maps where you can make 1 building sell it and get billions of dollars like ricky tick and build units faster than ricky tick

ReGIONALS
7 Mar 2009, 11:12pm
also empire earth 1 2 and 3 are shit trust me i played them did not care for them at all.
there will be maps where enemies go along a fixed path to the very end of it your objective is to kill them and get to the next age.

IE: 6 people 1 in each 2 on top and bottom you have a path that take 5 curve ti the very middle of the map with a river through it so you cannot cross to the other side until u have planes
you start of in the stone age you then go to the next age when you have enough gold/food/wood/etc as you progress the people get harder and there are more of them you can. you can make automated farms and towers that can kill 10 fold.

most empire earth 1 modded maps require skill and strategy. but sadly i have lost the keycode to my copy and cant get it back :sad:

if you decide to buy thi get the gold edition it come with EE1 and EE art of conquest expansion its really nessacery.