PDA

View Full Version : Halo Wars? preview Demo Review

h3adsh0t
6 Feb 2009, 09:56pm
Well first off i did not like it considering i hate RTS'S >.< REMEMBER THIS IS SHORT BECAUSE ITS DEMO REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!@!@!

well first off the controls too me where pretty easy too learn fast and quick Not much too say about controls but i give controls about 7/10

Graphics I love the graphics there not half bad awesome textured looks better than CSS in my opinion So i give graphics 8/10

DEMO game play was good I hate RTS'S usually but i actually liked halo wars i had some fun unlike starcraft moving around playing every thing is simply easy so that IMO gets a 10/10

So overall the demo isnt bad

P.S. I this is in the wrong section sorry i think it is >.<

:thumb:

-Headshot

SOLANUM
7 Feb 2009, 12:19am
Eh, it wasnt horrible. Graphics are decent but not as good as they could be. Controls are easy to memorize and use. The animations are strange, the recoil is exagerated. You can't zoom in very far which I don't like and the battles look cool but it's hard to tell wtf is happening at times.

Oh, and it might just be in the demo but the unit cap seems WAY too low. Even for bases without any upgrades.

I liked it, better than I expected. At first I was gunna buy it for the sake of completing my Halo game collection but it seems promising.

andre1028
7 Feb 2009, 05:47am
It's basically the opposite of World in Conflict so I'm not buying it when it's released. I will follow up on it so I can get a little back story on Halo though.

h3adsh0t
7 Feb 2009, 07:30am
Fuck i put it in wrong section soz move plz?

SOLANUM
7 Feb 2009, 07:51am
I'd say it fits here okay to.

RedOctober
8 Feb 2009, 02:12pm
i downloaded it on the 360 and i have to say it is no COH or command & conquer. it just feels awkward playing a rts on the x-box

Omar
8 Feb 2009, 02:53pm
In my opinion.

Graphics: average
Game play: shit

After playing the demo, (wich i didn't complete because i couldn't take it any more)
i think it sucked, big time, it (in my opinion) doesn't even match up to halo at all, there is vehichles never seen before.. It seems so wierd and i just can't play rts on a console (i tried)

Overall, this demo sucked balls.

P.S If this game sells big i'll shit bricks.

RedOctober
8 Feb 2009, 08:01pm
i agree with omar, i havent even seen half of the stuff they added. you can call in freaking lazer strikes or some shit from a ship?
where the heck was that in halo 3?

... did bungie even make this game? if they did i would be upset.

SOLANUM
9 Feb 2009, 08:20am
^ You two have never seen those things because you've only played Halo 3.

The Halo series has a HUGE backstory that you don't see. It's in the novels and comics and just to fill in some plot points, game is set 20 years before the first Halo I hope you realise.

And the "laser" is a MAC Blast from the space station Spirit Of Fire, its basically a giant Gauss Cannon.

And no, Bungie didnt make the game. Its being made by Ensemble Studios, makers of some of the best RTSs ever.

I'll respect your opinions once you find some valid points.

Its 9:20, I havent slept and am irritable as fuck, shut up.

Mammal
9 Feb 2009, 11:57am

The Halo series has a HUGE backstory that you don't see. It's in the novels and comics and just to fill in some plot points, game is set 20 years before the first Halo I hope you realise.

And the "laser" is a MAC Blast from the space station Spirit Of Fire, its basically a giant Gauss Cannon.

And no, Bungie didnt make the game. Its being made by Ensemble Studios, makers of some of the best RTSs ever.

Its 9:20, I havent slept and am irritable as fuck, shut up.

<3 you sol =D

Ensemble are the greatest but are being shut down by microsoft (who bought them) after they have made halo wars.
So STFU and respect it.

Astrum
9 Feb 2009, 05:26pm

Alright, I'm going to rail on the trilogy real quick before I move on to Halo Wars and then I'll tie everything together. So hold your flames until the end.

Halo has NEVER been a good game. Mediocre at best. Let's just go through the list really quick. Ungodly repetitive level design, check. Poorly told and completely uninteresting story which was pieced together from various video games, check. Completely unoriginal gameplay mechanics passed off as new and amazing to the mind numbingly stupid console populace*, check.

Honestly the gameplay was about as revolutionary as Quake was in 1996, except it was released in 2001. Oh, plus vehicles. That was never done before in gigantic open environments with 32-128 people say oh 3 years before Halo was even released. The storyline was actually pretty terrible and presented in such a way that when people compare it to Half-Life I want to kill myself.

Yet despite this astonishing level of mediocrity it was rated as one of the most amazing FPS games ever. I don't know if it was the huge ad campaign Microsoft pushed, or the moronic video game reviewers, or the ignorance of console gamers, or a combination of all of the above, but somehow this game made it big. I know I said I was going to rail on the trilogy earlier, but really there's nothing new to say. They're all pretty much the same.

Yeah, Age of Empires/Mythology. Now really I'm not a fan of the AoE/M series, it's just not my bag. However, the AoE/M series had really complex and deep RTS mechanics, whereas Halo Wars is quite obviously designed with the rabid Halo morons with ADHD in mind.

Base building and resource gathering is a fucking joke. The game basically just throws resources at you and gives you predefined build locations. This basically means there's little strategy involved. There's no choke points, defense points, or territory acquisition, basically just mobile armies and a race to blow up the most shit as fast as you can.

The game is just an incredibly shallow RTS. I mean it's playable, but Halo has always been about mediocrity masquerading as innovation.

As for the graphics I have to say they're pretty shitty actually. Very low poly count models and a crap ton of glitter. I could care less about the glitter because the god damn gunner is a square block.

So I see one of two things happening. The first is Halo Wars will fail because it's not an FPS and the caffeine crazed Halo fans won't be able to adjust to a game that doesn't require them to twitch like an epileptic under a strobe light. The second is it will be a huge success and it will be lauded as the best thing to happen to the RTS genre since StarCraft by the reviewers. Now personally I think the former is more likely than the latter simply because there's no massive ad campaign since this obviously isn't a headlining title for the Xbox1080 or whatever. Still, Halo somehow made it into the list of top FPS of all times, so it wouldn't really surprise me if this made it into the list of top RTS of all time.

*I should mention here that I'm generalizing. I don't think all console gamers are morons, just the ones who think Halo is the pinnacle of FPS games.

Modgers1
9 Feb 2009, 08:27pm
halo sucks

Infraction given. Please stop "Flaming" in threads as well as spamming in them.

-Modgers

SOLANUM
9 Feb 2009, 08:56pm
Alright, I'm going to rail on the trilogy real quick before I move on to Halo Wars and then I'll tie everything together. So hold your flames until the end.

Halo has NEVER been a good game. Mediocre at best. Let's just go through the list really quick. Ungodly repetitive level design, check. Poorly told and completely uninteresting story which was pieced together from various video games, check. Completely unoriginal gameplay mechanics passed off as new and amazing to the mind numbingly stupid console populace*, check.

Honestly the gameplay was about as revolutionary as Quake was in 1996, except it was released in 2001. Oh, plus vehicles. That was never done before in gigantic open environments with 32-128 people say oh 3 years before Halo was even released. The storyline was actually pretty terrible and presented in such a way that when people compare it to Half-Life I want to kill myself.

Yet despite this astonishing level of mediocrity it was rated as one of the most amazing FPS games ever. I don't know if it was the huge ad campaign Microsoft pushed, or the moronic video game reviewers, or the ignorance of console gamers, or a combination of all of the above, but somehow this game made it big. I know I said I was going to rail on the trilogy earlier, but really there's nothing new to say. They're all pretty much the same.

Yeah, Age of Empires/Mythology. Now really I'm not a fan of the AoE/M series, it's just not my bag. However, the AoE/M series had really complex and deep RTS mechanics, whereas Halo Wars is quite obviously designed with the rabid Halo morons with ADHD in mind.

Base building and resource gathering is a fucking joke. The game basically just throws resources at you and gives you predefined build locations. This basically means there's little strategy involved. There's no choke points, defense points, or territory acquisition, basically just mobile armies and a race to blow up the most shit as fast as you can.

The game is just an incredibly shallow RTS. I mean it's playable, but Halo has always been about mediocrity masquerading as innovation.

As for the graphics I have to say they're pretty shitty actually. Very low poly count models and a crap ton of glitter. I could care less about the glitter because the god damn gunner is a square block.

So I see one of two things happening. The first is Halo Wars will fail because it's not an FPS and the caffeine crazed Halo fans won't be able to adjust to a game that doesn't require them to twitch like an epileptic under a strobe light. The second is it will be a huge success and it will be lauded as the best thing to happen to the RTS genre since StarCraft by the reviewers. Now personally I think the former is more likely than the latter simply because there's no massive ad campaign since this obviously isn't a headlining title for the Xbox1080 or whatever. Still, Halo somehow made it into the list of top FPS of all times, so it wouldn't really surprise me if this made it into the list of top RTS of all time.

*I should mention here that I'm generalizing. I don't think all console gamers are morons, just the ones who think Halo is the pinnacle of FPS games.

I need to make retorts more like yours.

Cant think of a thing to say for the rest so I'll just say: By no means is Halo the pinnicale of FPSs, sure its on the list of my favorite games but its in a pretty low spot and only for the first game.

Edit: "So I see one of two things happening. The first is Halo Wars will fail because it's not an FPS and the caffeine crazed Halo fans won't be able to adjust to a game that doesn't require them to twitch like an epileptic under a strobe light." I already see that happening. Youtube comments like "wait, u dont run around and shoot stuff like in halo?" *sigh*

Mammal
10 Feb 2009, 10:55am
Infraction given. Please stop "Flaming" in threads as well as spamming in them.

-Modgers

Bye any chance are you a fan of halo modgers? Giving him an infraction for that. . .

chaser77
12 Feb 2009, 04:48pm
1.4g i believe but well worth its very fun to play and will definitely get it when it comes out in march :heh:

Repus
12 Feb 2009, 08:27pm
Can anyone tell me what makes halo so popular i think its horrible. Armored guy fighting stupid looking aliens, sounds like kids action hero story, not popular game. I played Halo 1 and i only liked first level of it.

I mean really, what is that makes it better than other fps games? (I know this thread isn't about the real halo games, but i want to know it.)

Italian Jew
12 Feb 2009, 08:29pm
Non shitty gameplay, good multiplayer, good story, good graphics for its time

SOLANUM
13 Feb 2009, 07:41am
Can anyone tell me what makes halo so popular i think its horrible. Armored guy fighting stupid looking aliens, sounds like kids action hero story, not popular game. I played Halo 1 and i only liked first level of it.

I mean really, what is that makes it better than other fps games? (I know this thread isn't about the real halo games, but i want to know it.)

Multiplayer.

Always been Bungie's strong point. Decent ranking system that, allbeit glitchy, ranks you on skill on not how long you play.

I don't think its the game thats terrible, its alot of the people that play it.

But really, adults outnumber children on Live in any game, the children just draw more attention to themselves.

ReneGade
13 Feb 2009, 09:44am
I fully plan to get this game on release day assuming my xbox is back from the repair place by then. BTW Astrum after reading this post and finding out you are a fellow lover of of the aoe/aom series your even cooler than I gave u credit for last night.

Repus
13 Feb 2009, 09:49am
Non shitty gameplay, good multiplayer, good story, good graphics for its time

Good story? What was it, aliens come with ships to destroy us? That has been used in so many games, movies and tv shows its boring.

Half life has good story! And gameplay is almost same on every fps game.

About multiplayer i don't know but css has good multiplayer. Halo multiplayer is all about "perfectly executed headshot" and i'm proud to say i can't do that!

Italian Jew
13 Feb 2009, 10:28am
Good story? What was it, aliens come with ships to destroy us? That has been used in so many games, movies and tv shows its boring.

Half life has good story! And gameplay is almost same on every fps game.

About multiplayer i don't know but css has good multiplayer. Halo multiplayer is all about "perfectly executed headshot" and i'm proud to say i can't do that!

And what were those things in Half-Life, pandas? They certainly couldn't be aliens flying around in ships, blowing shit up, having one guy do the impossible to stop them...:001_rolleyes:

It was a very good sci-fi story that felt sorta like a movie. Ring worlds created by an ancient race which has connections to the races in the game will destroy the galaxy while a joint faction of religious aliens seek to wipe out the human race while another released race is let loose and sets out to again consume the galaxy. Sorry there wasn't a crowbar.

Gameplay wise it didn't cause any headaches and introduced the melee attack in an important way.

Yes, multiplayer does take skill, so if you can't cut it, don't complain because you aren't good enough.

If you want to whine about the game, then do it elsewhere. This thread is about Halo Wars anyway.

Repus
13 Feb 2009, 11:31am
I'm not whining, just saying what i think. Idea of forums is to give opinions. Don't try start flame war bc i don't want to join it.

Italian Jew
13 Feb 2009, 04:03pm
Oh yes, this is how flame wars start...through sound judgment or opinion.

You just came into this as a Half-Life fanboy so don't pretend I am flaming you because you can't answer back.

And if you want to express your opinion about something unrelated from the thread, make a new one. Its one of those "ideas of the forum".