PDA

View Full Version : DOW 2 beta

LegalSmash
21 Jan 2009, 07:45am
Im DL ing it as we speak..
Will play tonight.
quick Q, I associated my Soulstorm retail disc copy with steam VIA Disc Key, does that mean I can play it off my HD or do I still need the disk?

Dracula
21 Jan 2009, 08:37am
send me Beta plz k thnx

LVG
21 Jan 2009, 08:44am
send me Beta plz k thnx

Demo on steam.

LegalSmash
21 Jan 2009, 10:51am
Beta is pretty good, here is a short revew:

Graphically: the game is very pretty, if you are a warhammer fan you will be pleased. The engine is a ramped up version of the COH engine, and with a budget level 256 MB card that came stock on my rig (8500 GT) it was able to run without hiccups or lag at mostly all high settings (medium settings were effect density, rain, and terrain detail) on auto settings, and with only one setting on medium (rain, its just pointless and doesnt do anything really in game) when i tweak the settings. If you have anything above a 128MB card, you should at least be able to run this on medium settings with little problem.

CONS Im not sure if they'll fix it later, but the hand to hand animations leave something to be desired, far too reminiscent of DOW and its sequels, they basically swing at each other, and then do a fatality... at these heights in gaming, we should have some serious melee, or do what COH did and just stick to shooting and explosions.

COOL FEATURE: the game reads your cards/comp and only allows you to choose settings at or below your comps capability, optimizing the gameplay, so when you get online with others, you don't cause epic lag/fail.

Gameplay: I played 3 games (10-15 min each with CPU opponent):

All space marine units come out of one building, no more base building, and in a take from COH you get to choose a doctrine based on your hero/leader with special upgrades, etc. Units are ALL fully customizable, guns, armor, etc. Which can make the game really easy for someone whos played warhammer, but did not like the meatgrinder style of DOW.

The game play is VERY tactical, cover will save your life, and running into the open will get you mowed down faster than a guy holding water melons at oprah's dinner party. Heavy bolters act like high gauge machine guns, and plasma guns work a great deal like grenade launchers, you can destroy cover as well, by fire or by the treads of the larger creatures/tanks.

Tanks and large creatures are seriously game changing units, like the tiger and jagd in COH, these things are big, unit massacre monsters that destroy cover and enemy units alike.

NIDS: HOLY SHIT. Tyranids are fun to play. You will lose Terms and Hormogaunts by the bucket load but God forbid they get near you. The graphics on the nids are great, units hiss and click at each other, drip slime and their weapons fire live creatures/bacteria, etc.

Their hand to hand units are by far the most vicious in the game, if not the most vicious.

Carnifex (think a giant roach with tank like qualities) is a bullet magnet/CC monster.

You CAN go stealth or shooting oriented with the nids, but they seem to shine best at CC.

n my game against the orks, I mowed down their units with relative ease with my larger tyranid creatures, which come with dual weapons CC and Shoot, taking relatively high losses myself due to the weakness of many of the lower nid organism.

NOTE: Nids came out LONG before the zerg were around and are actually the zerg's inspiration.

More to come.

It runs pretty well. I hope to play more tonight, online with other people. If you have SOULSTORM you can use your CD key with steam to get and play Beta now, next week its open for all.

Itch
21 Jan 2009, 10:57am
Thanks for the review.. I played quite a bit of DOW I'll have to check this one out.

LVG
21 Jan 2009, 11:22am
I just came out of the Beta woo IT WORKS ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO NAT ERROR!!!! might have something to do with the Windows live thing, but anyway seems good so far

LegalSmash
21 Jan 2009, 11:27am
I just came out of the Beta woo IT WORKS ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO NAT ERROR!!!! might have something to do with the Windows live thing, but anyway seems good so far

What settings were you playing it on, what did you think of it, what army did you play. Did you notice the little glitch when the carnifex does hand to hand?

LVG
21 Jan 2009, 11:45am
Then first game i played was online and as space marines, hoping it has more units in the real one, what the hell is the carnifex? legal whats your steam btw? also i think its good but i liked building bases bit of a let down you don't it skirmish knew you didn't in campaign.

LegalSmash
21 Jan 2009, 12:16pm
Then first game i played was online and as space marines, hoping it has more units in the real one, what the hell is the carnifex? legal whats your steam btw? also i think its good but i liked building bases bit of a let down you don't it skirmish knew you didn't in campaign.

Hey dude, its the same as my handle here: legalsmash.

We should play a game tonight against other people, i'll be on around 8-10 pm EST.

Suri
21 Jan 2009, 01:33pm
When I get home I am going to DL it.