PDA

View Full Version : ze_sst

Jaffa
5 Jan 2009, 08:36am
This map has been on our servers for a few months now, and has proved popular with our players, to the extent that more often than not it will be on either or both the escape servers whenever you check.

Unfortunatly, i believe that, unlike maps such as ze_blackmesa and zm_atixhelicopter (which are popular due to their balance, gameplay and visuals), ze_sst is popular because its easy to kill zombies, and its end base is human-sided. In fact, zombies only ever usually win by getting a good spawn amongst lots of humans, or (which happens more often) by stabbing the humans through the floor of the shuttle.

I do not know if bill smauz intends to carry on working on this map, or if SDtielvdeo will suddenly return, but i thought i would list what changes i would like to see, listed under visuals and gameplay (in which i will discuss balance).

Visuals:

The map isn't particulary pretty. Textures are same throughout, skybox is bright and basic. The map could do with more variation, different scenary, lighting, heights (those ledges barely count as giving a different perspective). I don't remember the original being any different either though, but it might be nice to see some vegetation/debris (i.e. from fighting, discarded equipment, shell craters). The base looks pretty good (i definatly like the change in the main door, so it is actually defensible), so i don't see much major change there, and the same with the ship. Visuals are probably the least important of the factors i listed. Lastly, the giant block near the end thats players have to shoot (unless they ar eon the side paths) looks pretty silly, and definatly needs some change!

Gameplay

Currently, the map 2 different begining paths (with one sub-path as the tram), which then merge into one main route (with the ledges as 2 sub-paths). This means that by the end, all the players will be forced into this one path, and it is here where zombies are usually picke doff by humans out of reach on the ledges. This usually happens as the zombies which climb the ledges are usually killed up there, and any zombies that spawn in the tunnel, and don't leave a human to start the car, are forced to climb a wall which leaves them behind the humans which tooks the other route.

I suggest the addition of further routes:

Bug tunnels under the map (which have multiple exits and tunnels that crossover with others)

Make the tram take its occupants to a higher ledge, which could have some platforms for people to climb up/down (or even some vines/climbing wall) to act as ladders

Replace the current tunnel with another canyon route to vehicules, but which takes longer than the main route to reach (maybe using breakable rocks to block the path).

When you reach the end of the current map, the base is set so that two of its walls are next to cliffs, and therefore inaccesible. I guess this is because the fort was made without walkways on those two sides (as it was also positioned like this on the original).

I suggest:

Moving the fort into the middle of an open area, maybe with some ditches/dips/hills/rocks to give the zombies some cover. The multiple routes i listed would then lead into this area from different directions.

Access to the fort, currently the main door and the boxes, could maybe be extended with access from two tunnels. One would be a 'secret' route and could come up inside the building (in the fort), but which could easily be defended by blocking it with drinks machines/a human. The other could be a hole that opens inside the base shortly after the ship lands (like in the movie), which would give zombies access to the base (maybe have the hole collapse a wall as well), and would set up a final showdown.

Lastly, the base to the ship needs to be edited so zombies can't stab through it!!!

I hope this is ledgible (and readable!), and any extra ideas/suggestions/views from others are welcome. I would like to know if there are any plans to continue editing the map, as i have heard that it had been put on hold, especially with the release of ze_omega.

Bullet Wound
5 Jan 2009, 10:03pm
Getting rid of the car in the alternate route would be a good idea too, its far to glitchy. People easily glitch out of it and it usually kills 2-3 people per round. It also doesn't activate for zombies (although that might have been the plan with it to begin with).

I like your idea of bug tunnels and agree with you that the map is far to human sided.

Also, maybe make it so the far ledge where the tram leads to higher up so the tram leads right to it and other humans/zombies need to climb the cliff to reach it (like you said).

Troy
6 Jan 2009, 02:50pm
Good idea, I like it. Other than the boring run to the base and just shooting zombies back easily. This would be a cool edit. Let's see what bill thinks.

Jazz
9 Jan 2009, 11:22am
I love sst man, the map is great. Do not make any huge changes please.

tank40175
9 Jan 2009, 05:16pm
I like your ideas for it. SST is probably my fav escape map. If wall colapse, then make dropship where walls/ floor cannot be knifed through. This would also do away with the fail jumping that ends up with peeps glitching each other out. Bug tunnels into base would be awesome, as long as they can be defended.

Chef
15 Jan 2009, 02:09pm
i like the tunnel idea, would definately be tight, and im not sure if thier fixed yet, but i loved the soda machines that were glitchy and humans could cade up in that little building. if they arnet gonna fix it, do away with the building all together and put the dropship button in the tower.

Jazz
16 Jan 2009, 04:06am
i like the tunnel idea, would definately be tight, and im not sure if thier fixed yet, but i loved the soda machines that were glitchy and humans could cade up in that little building. if they arnet gonna fix it, do away with the building all together and put the dropship button in the tower.

Agreed, i like teh glitching in teh dropshift :D

Phoenix
17 Jan 2009, 03:38pm
what would be cool is if like the dropshit crashed at the end or something and you have to run to some secret bunker that opened up =P

jigglebelljr
19 Feb 2009, 09:16pm
Good job man i totally agree I hate when you are in the shuttles and you get stabbed it sucks and if you are a zombie you are screwed unless you are close to alot of humans and when you are on the landings humans always win so i totally agree good luck

Mikey
20 Feb 2009, 03:21pm
STOP FUCKING BUMPING!

2 Dwarves, 1 Coat
22 Feb 2009, 01:09am
ITYPEINALLCAPSCAUSEIMCOOL

GrayFox
22 Feb 2009, 08:12am
ITYPEINALLCAPSCAUSEIMCOOL

What? This thread is dead, let it stay dead!

2 Dwarves, 1 Coat
22 Feb 2009, 02:56pm
I am the reviver.