PDA

View Full Version : MTV's 2008 Mixtape Monday Awards [Hip-hop topic].

Xtrm
22 Dec 2008, 03:36pm
Mixtape Act of the Year
Shaheem Reid's Pick: G-Unit
Rahman Dukes' Pick: G-Unit

Mixtape DJ of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Drama
Rahman Dukes: Green Lantern

Radio and/or Satellite DJ of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Green Lantern
Rahman Dukes: Whoo Kid

Lyricist of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Nas
Rahman Dukes: Nas

Most Slept-on Album of the Year
Shaheem Reid: The Game, L.A.X.
Rahman Dukes: Mobb Deep, H.N.I.C. 2

Album of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III
Rahman Dukes: T.I., Paper Trail

Concert of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Kanye West's Glow in the Dark Tour (Close second props to the Rock the Bells Jones Beach stop)
Rahman Dukes: Atlanta's Birthday Bash

Producer of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Kanye West
Rahman Dukes: Kanye West

Topic of the Year
Shaheem Reid: The Auto-Tune takeover
Rahman Dukes: Did Jay-Z and Beyoncé get married?

Breakthrough DJ of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Infamous
Rahman Dukes: DJ Scream

Breakthrough MC of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Shawty Lo
Rahman Dukes: Shawty Lo

Live Performer of the Year
Shaheem Reid: Kanye West (Gotta give a shout to my runner up T.I. His shows had so much energy.)
Rahman Dukes: Lil Wayne

Internet Superstar
Shaheem Reid: Charles Hamilton
Rahman Dukes: Consequence

Breakthrough Of The Year (Producer)
Shaheem Reid: Drumma Boy
Rahman Dukes: Don Cannon

Craziest Collaboration
Shaheem Reid: Jay-Z, T.I., Lil Wayne and Kanye West on "Swagger Like Us"
Rahman Dukes: Young Jeezy and Nas on "My President"

Check for in '09
Shaheem Reid: Obviously, that three-headed monster from the land of Interscope is going to be extremely successful when and if 50 Cent, Eminem and Dr. Dre put out albums. But I'm thinking Jay-Z's Blueprint 3 will be the album the year. Hov's rhymes and a lot of Kanye's beats? That's guaranteed timeless music. On a more underground level, I'm hoping Joe Budden and the Clipse get more shine. They have been some of the doper MCs in the game for the past few years. I thoroughly enjoyed all of Fabolous' guest appearances, so I have faith in the upcoming Loso's Way.

Rahman Dukes: I'm still waiting on that classic album from my boy Saigon's The Greatest Story Never Told. "Believe It" is still an amazing record, and that's just a taste of what to expect from the album. Of course, keeping it Queens, I can't wait to see what 50 Cent does. Fif is by far the realest cat doing it in the game. Jay-Z has been on a streak lately with all of the Kanye West-produced tracks, so his album will probably be the best of '09. Can't forget about the Clipse, and hopefully we'll finally get that Cuban Linx II. Lets go, Rae!

Of course, not everyone can win an award, so here's the best of the rest:

Standout Street CDs and Independent Albums of '08

50 Cent's Sincerely Yours, Southside
G-Unit's Return of the Body Snatchers and Elephant in the Sand
Lil Wayne and DJ Drama's Dedication 3
The Clipse's Road to Till the Casket Drops
DJ Khaled's We Global
Prodigy's H.N.I.C. 2
J. Period's March 9th Mixtape and Best of Mary J. Blige (Three CD Edition)
Notorious B.I.G. and Big L's Live From Amsterdam
Nipsey Hussle's Bullets Ain't Got No Name, Vol. I and II
Crooked I's Block Obama I and II
Wow epic fail by MTV.

G-Unit doesn't deserve to win anything anymore. They haven't been (or never will be) the same since Game and Buck left. Terminate on Sight was so horrible I couldn't even finish listening to it. 50 needs to stop trying to start these little beefs because it just ends up with him looking very stupid.

Drama definantly takes mixtape artist of the year. The Preview with Ludacris was one of the best mainstream mixtapes of the year. I cannot say the same with Dedication 3 because Wayne needs to get off the auto-tune and stop promoting his artists on his mixtapes. I wanna hear Wayne not random Cash Money artists, have them make their own mixtapes.

Lyric wise Nas does take lyricist of the year. He hasn't stopped dropping classic lyric filled albums since debut (and classic album) Illmatic. [End discussion.]

The most slept on album of the year... LAX could take this but I would also have to say The Recession by Jeezy was slept on. It didn't have as many deep lyrics as Game did with LAX but it showed the most "i-can-write-good-lyrics-but-still-have-good-beats-and-flow" side of Jeezy. Some beats on LAX could make me fall asleep.

Album of the year Paper Trail.

I enjoyed watching Atlanta's Birthday Bash concert just because that shit with T.I. and Shawty Lo is entertaining. The Glow in the Dark tour's highlight was seeing Jay-Z do "Jockin' Jay-Z".

Kanye West is definantly one of the top producers of the year but I would give Drumma Boy his props too. He hit big with "Put On" but he also had "Here I Am" with Rick Ross. And he had a couple joints on Paper Trail. Also Jim Jonsin had a good year with "Lollipop" and "Whatever You Like" both hitting number one.

The topic of the year which made me laugh was the whole Rick Ross being a cop scandal. That shit was funnnnnnny :toung:.

Breakthrough MC? Shawty Lo? No. I cannot begin to explain why Shawty Lo doesn't deserve any recignition. The only reason people know his name is because of T.I.. He had "Dey Know" which was kind of a hit song, but I would have forgot who sang that realll quick. T.I. is Lo's career. Breakthrough MC is Ace Hood.

Internet superstar is definantly Joe Budden or Plies. Both of them kept putting out video after video of the most random shit... Well actually that was Budden. Plies just advertised on the Internet too much.

Best collabo of 2008. "Swagga Like Us". If you put the four biggest names in hip-hop on one song, it's a hit.

So I just realized I went on a long time about this. So feel free to comment on your opinions. (For the 6 people who know what I'm talking about.)

Bring on 2009.