PDA

View Full Version : I NEEDS HELP NAO!

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 02:08am
Ok, so here's the thing... My pc crashed this weekend and now it's getting the BSoD like everytime i try to start my pc..

The following error occurs: 0x00000024 NTFS.sys

Does anyone know how i can fix it or is my hd totally broke down and do i need to get me a new one?

I've tried to run chkdsk, repaired my windows installation. Completely reinstalled windows.. But it still isnt working. :confused1:

I really need help :sad:

Jaffa
22 Dec 2008, 02:16am
have you tried running in safe mode?

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 02:25am
Hmm well, i'm kinda stuck at starting up.. I can't get to the windows screen.. And now the setup keeps crashing...

Zero001
22 Dec 2008, 02:50am
If you completely reinstalled Windows and it's still happening there are only things I can think of. How far into Windows can you get before getting the BSoD?

You can try booting off of a *nix OS, just to see if that works. Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 03:04am
I can't get the setup to complete. When it's installing the network components, it restarts the pc and start over again with the Windows setup...

juku
22 Dec 2008, 04:33am
So are you saying the chkdsk ran its full course or you couldn't even run chkdsk. :confused1:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228888

Did you try that way? It is proven to work with the latest versions of windows as well.

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 05:17am
I already tried that.. I think i need a new HD...

Zero001
22 Dec 2008, 06:55am
Try the Linux option I gave you. I had a situation once with an old HDD that stopped working. Windows wouldn't install on it either. I tried Ubuntu; it worked and Windows was able to be installed.

Chances are it won't work and the HDD does need to be replaced, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 07:00am
Ok, well the person who built my pc thinks it isnt the hd and suggested to put the HD in my old system and try to install it there.. If that doesn't work, i'll try the thing u suggested..

Omar
22 Dec 2008, 07:19am
Have you done a hardware check? like opening the cabinet and looking inside for anything suspicious?

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 07:24am
Yes i did. That was one of the first things i did.

Paul
22 Dec 2008, 07:34am
Blue Screen of Death as its better known :toung:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 07:35am
Blue Screen of Death as its better known :toung:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

Kinda old news Paul, but that doesn't help me fix my problem :P

Zero001
22 Dec 2008, 07:44am
Have you done a hardware check? like opening the cabinet and looking inside for anything suspicious?

You're like one of those call in tech support employees that ask you to do the most retarded things instead of getting to the problem. Do you work for one of those companies?

Itch
22 Dec 2008, 08:46am
My questions would be...

What brand HD do you have?
Have you run the manufacturer's diagnositc/repair utility.

For example Hitachi has a util called "Drive Fitness Test"
That will not only tell you if there is a problem but mark bad sectors as bad and skip them so that when you try to use the drive again it won't try to write to failed areas on the drive.

Not saying that it can be fixed..but in about 1/4 of the cases I've seen this work.
Even if you don't have a Hitatchi drive Drive fit test will tell you if there are any problems with the drive itself.

If you have access to another computer and can burn a cd. There is a compilation bootable cd with a ton of hardware diagnostic utilities called "ulitimate boot cd" you might want to check it out. http://www.ubcd4win.com/

tinkerbell
22 Dec 2008, 08:56am
it actually sounds like one of your ram sticks is broken, try takin one out, and swap them over see if that does anything

Zero001
22 Dec 2008, 09:07am
it actually sounds like one of your ram sticks is broken, try takin one out, and swap them over see if that does anything

Why didn't I think of this before?

I was thrown off the scent by a different clue, but this could be it. Nice job :clap:

Itch
22 Dec 2008, 09:09am
Yes it could be ram.. try pulling one stick at a time. You can also test the ram via that boot cd.

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 12:03pm
Ok i have windows installed again. Finally.. But next is im gonna test the sticks. I know one of them was replaced cos it was a bad one, but maybe now the other one is broken or damaged or whatsoever.. Thanks for the help!

Svendy
22 Dec 2008, 01:55pm
ramsticks? as far as i know, 0x00000024 NTFS.sys is the error code of a currupt file (NTFS.sys) it is the file contoling the pationing of the HD. i'm not sure where it is placed, but i think it could be overritten with a copy of a new NTFS.sys

anyways good your computer is back up and running

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 02:02pm
Well it is back up, but not quite running... lol

Still working on that part

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 05:09pm
Its fixed... Thanks Tink and Zero.. it was indeed a bad ram stick..

PotshotPolka
22 Dec 2008, 08:04pm
Its fixed... Thanks Tink and Zero.. it was indeed a bad ram stick..

Damn, I was too late on this one, but just in case download these two programs (for free) and run them:

memtest86 (Stress and memory test)

and additionally maybe prime95 as an additional stress memory test.

Run memtest for about 30 minutes if there are no errors, prime95 for an hour if nothing pops up screaming errors.

Target
22 Dec 2008, 08:15pm
Sorry to say that last time that happened to me they said my mother board was fried and i needed to buy a new one. It cost me 489 dollars

Mystique
22 Dec 2008, 11:31pm
I have no problems now and it has been running fine since i took out the stick. So im not too worried.. But next time it will happen, i'm sure to let it check out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

tinkerbell
23 Dec 2008, 12:43pm
+rep ???? lol, np nice to help out

Mystique
23 Dec 2008, 03:33pm
Yea yea u get ur rep :P Dont worry :)

<3 Tink

Mercy
23 Dec 2008, 03:44pm
That happened to me like a month ago, but i gave it to the chinese people and they fixed it o.o, it only cost me like 75$

Mystique
23 Dec 2008, 04:02pm
That happened to me like a month ago, but i gave it to the chinese people and they fixed it o.o, it only cost me like 75$

It cost me only some +rep... :P

I fixed it myself with the help of Tink and Suri..