PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War 2 Review

Frostbyte
20 Dec 2008, 07:36pm
Well, I got bored, so I figured I would write this review.

First off, Gears of War is a third person shooter with a clever cover mechanic that makes you ''stick'' to cover. In Gears of War 2, there are 3 major gameplay factors that define it.
Campaign, competitive multiplayer, and horde.

Campaign: Can be played co-op with a buddy split screen or over Xbox Live. A major improvement over the toilet-paper thin storyline of the first GoW. The scale is much bigger, with bigger vehicles and more enemies on screen at one time. The partner and enemy AI is pretty good. There are 4 difficulty modes: Casual (target practice), normal, Hardcore (highest playable difficulty until you beat the game and unlock insane), and Insane, which is an understatement.

Competitive multiplayer: Pretty fast paced. You are either the COG (Humans) or the Locust. You can choose your avatar, and more are unlocked if you do certain things in the campaign and save files from GoW1. It can be either extremely fun, or extremely gay depending on the host. If by some force of god you get lag, bang your head against the wall, because your going to teleport somewhere. There are a bunch of maps, and game types that have a hardcore twist on normal game modes like CTF. Getting into a match is pretty quick, sometimes it takes mere seconds. Only real problem is how gay the chainsaw is.

Horde: This is kickass. You pick a avatar and difficulty and then face off against waves of locust arcade style. There are 50 waves, and after each set of ten waves, the locust team gains accuracy, health, speed, and numbers. TIP: On wave 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50, a certain enemy type called Bloodmounts spawn, there are extemely gay, and should be dealt with quickly. It would be smart to put up sheilds on waves prior to 10, 20.. etc so that you can prepare for bloodmounts. But anyway, it gets increasingly difficult, and on harder difficulties stresses teamwork.

All in all, I give GoW2 a 9/10 because its a great game with great replay value, but has some minor flaws that can make it unenjoyable at times.

Also, buying the limited edition of the game gives you a code to unlock the golden lancer, the workhouse assault rifle. It has no advantage over the normal lancer besides the fact that its golden. And the golden hammerburst is only obtained from going to the GoW2 midnight launch. Even though it happened, ask your game retailer if they have leftover codes, they probably do.

I hope you enjoyed my review, and if you want me to review another game, PM me.

JoniX
21 Dec 2008, 02:27pm
Ty for this. I know that i get GOW2 for christmas:P

Josh
21 Dec 2008, 03:02pm
Good game, been playing it for the last couple weeks. Top-notch shooter, great campaign and multiplayer, not to mention horde mode. Definitely worth the 60 bucks.

Crimson
21 Dec 2008, 07:16pm
Good review, I may rent tis game to test it out, I didn't really enjoy the first one.

But I've heard good things about this...

So, Good Review /+rep

andre1028
22 Dec 2008, 08:19am
All I can say is that it isn't the greatest game I played, but it was worth paying 70 bucks for the limited edition.

raven maniac
23 Dec 2008, 12:27pm
I love GoW2. The only thing that gets annoying is the random glitches in multiplayer, but just like the first one you learn to deal with it.

Gumpy
24 Dec 2008, 09:18am
I don't particularly like the online multiplayer, all it boils down to is diving around trying to get close enough for the shotgun 1 hit kill. Also I miss the berserkers :frown:

Combatengineer
24 Dec 2008, 03:10pm
I don't particularly like the online multiplayer, all it boils down to is diving around trying to get close enough for the shotgun 1 hit kill. Also I miss the berserkers :frown:

I wasn't finding the shotgun rolling to be a problem in Gears 2 when I played online. What I think is the new annoyance is the mortar, it's just too good for multiplayer.