PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with the servers?

SpikedRocker
18 Dec 2008, 06:40pm
Many, many people have been asking this exact question. What is with all the lag? There has been many threads about this all over our forum and no matter what it seems everyone is still confused. Well heres straight from the horse's mouth (or a Board of Directors).

The biggest question asked is what is causing all the lag. The short answer is a number of things have and are occuring to cause this. We are running on an older server and we all know with older computers tend have things just come up out of no where and cause crap. We did find out after the fact someone was running a buffer overflow exploit. That is a problem we've have experienced and apparently people still run it for kicks. Finally we've noticed our log keeping was huge amounts of information that really isn't necessary.

Another question is what are we doing about this problem. On Wednesday we shut down our servers to run a defrag on the dedi. Many of you noticed this and was made aware of it. This did help a bit in some servers and not so much in others. One thing we think that will make the biggest difference is moving our servers on to a new dedi. This is estimated to happen tomorrow. While doing this we will have fresh builds on our servers. In therory this should make everything like brand new. Once this is done if lag still exists we will have to re-evaluate the situation and come up with a new solution.

A few people have asked if there is any settings they can set on their side that would help and the honest answer is not much. But as always having your rate at 25000 helps with your choke.

Finally when do we expect things to be fixed. We hope things should start to get better on Friday. But with the fresh builds we'll be doing it might take a bit longer.

We apologize for the lag issues we've been having. Thank you for being patient and understanding we are working on the issues.

Troy
18 Dec 2008, 07:51pm
Ye, awfully laggy,servers have been emptier especially escape. Hope this fixes it thanks for updates :).

Loganator456
18 Dec 2008, 08:01pm
Thanks! I don't think I had too big of a problem, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the servers are tomorrow! :D

TopCat
18 Dec 2008, 08:14pm
Hope that will clear up tomorrow.

Jack Napier
18 Dec 2008, 09:39pm
Woop-woop!

Caution
18 Dec 2008, 10:12pm
well whatever you guys are doing is working. PB servers are now a LOT less laggy.

Tcp-Kill
19 Dec 2008, 12:43am
Thanks spiked.

Daze
19 Dec 2008, 02:28am
Thanks for the heads up.

Irish Rebel
19 Dec 2008, 03:02am
Phew,thats a relief!
I hope the Escape servers are better too!

Mercy
19 Dec 2008, 04:20am
Thanks and getting new dedis was a good idea, I'm sure that would fix the problem

Henrik
19 Dec 2008, 04:37am
thanks i really hope it will help im so tired of the lag

Toxin
19 Dec 2008, 05:12am
Hope that we have enough budget for the new dedi, we don't want to raise any Supporter or Admin prices, do we ? :dance:

Well, good luck whatever you guys are trying to do there. Hope the problem is getting fixed soon :)

Metal
19 Dec 2008, 05:43am
finaly someone tells the story as it is thanks.

Paul
19 Dec 2008, 06:27am
Hmm New dedi might mean more room for more servers :bigsmile:

Thanks spiked.

Huwajux
19 Dec 2008, 06:34am
Thanks Spiked. I finally know what the hell is going on.

Chobber
19 Dec 2008, 10:11am
Hope that we have enough budget for the new dedi, we don't want to raise any Supporter or Admin prices, do we ? :dance:

Well, good luck whatever you guys are trying to do there. Hope the problem is getting fixed soon :)

What you did not know is that when you subscriped as a supporter you also gave us your soul (and the money we need) for 6 more years..
So I guess we will be boosting the supporter packages with $400 pr. month?

And to spiked - THANK YOU, for finally making this clear for all!

jigglebelljr
19 Dec 2008, 12:30pm
Ye, awfully laggy,servers have been emptier especially escape. Hope this fixes it thanks for updates :).
Thanks spiked me and troy have been playing excape and we can't play with the lag thanks now we understand its prob going to take till sat i am playing right now on friday and it still lagging merry christmas\

spicked do you think the prices for admin and supporter will go up because of the new dedi i don't got in the budget lol just kidding

LVG
19 Dec 2008, 12:35pm
Thanks Spiked, Hope it works

Suri
19 Dec 2008, 12:43pm
Thanks spiked me and troy have been playing excape and we can't play with the lag thanks now we understand its prob going to take till sat i am playing right now on friday and it still lagging merry christmas\

spicked do you think the prices for admin and supporter will go up because of the new dedi i don't got in the budget lol just kidding

The Price on Supporter and Admin is not going to go up.

We really needed to find out all the information we could before saying anything to the community. We were trying everything we could before going to the option of new Dedi.

Red
19 Dec 2008, 12:56pm
Maybe you guys could get a bailout from the government to upgrade the servers.

mNote
19 Dec 2008, 01:40pm
Maybe our host is using alternative energy instead of burning fossil fuels to run our servers.

Shucks :(

Periodik
20 Dec 2008, 07:51am
There are a few codecs available, there has been a new one lately set to default called sweex. This one should have about the same quality but less bandwidth. Try to add this in the server.cfg:

sv_voicecodec voice_speex //Set the voice codec
sv_voicequality 2 //Quality of voice, 1-5 where 1 is worst and 5 is best. 1 uses least bandwidth, 5 uses most

Also on a side note, every server above 32 players should be 33 tick, most likely will take away some lag too if you set that.

<19 = 100 tick max
<32 = 66 tick max
>32 = 33 tick max

broncoty
20 Dec 2008, 12:15pm
Will Zombie Hell be coming back?

Loganator456
20 Dec 2008, 12:33pm
Will Zombie Hell be coming back?Seriously. I love Zombie Hell, and I think ZH is much better than the Trikz server...It was pretty popular, too.

bor3d
20 Dec 2008, 03:52pm
Newer servers would definitely help. I mean this is a serious operation and the one thing with gaming servers is that you cannot go cheap. I talked to Haggard about this before, but I think he is sticking with his current provider :(.

awesomebillfromdawsonvile
20 Dec 2008, 05:52pm
Maybe you guys could get a bailout from the government to upgrade the servers.

Yes!!! demand a bailout goddamnit! i dont even own a truck and those fucks get cash y not SG?

bor3d
20 Dec 2008, 07:01pm
Enough with my smart ass comments, in all honesty I think there are a few things that need to happen here to make the servers perform optimally. Take these suggestions as they are and if people don't like them remember, THEY ARE SUGGESTIONS, and will not be happening unless someone else with higher authority (Haggard) approves this.

1. Getting new dedicated servers is a great idea, new hardware will definitely help, however we need to evaluate the amount of servers per boxes we have setup currently. I think we have too many servers and this is only my opinion. We need to either spread the love among more boxes or cut back on the servers we have by picking out the most popular servers and sticking with them. (Why the hell do we have so many L4D servers, that's just dumb).

2. This is just a personal preference, but I HATE Windows boxes. I have never had good experiences with Windows running my game servers. I am a Linux man myself and I think it's the best and most stable platform for running good servers. (Find some body with good Linux knowledge to set this up).

3. A new dedicated server provider is a must. I am not a fan of Wolf Servers. Prices are cheap and that's about it. I would much rather pay more for better quality. Also, let's get off this 10 mbit line and up it to 100mbit please.

That's all I have right now, but it is something to examine. If you don't like it, remember it's just my opinions. If you disagree we can discuss it. I am in vent or PM me.

- bor3d out!

Periodik
21 Dec 2008, 09:11am
I know how to setup Source Servers on linux (on gentoo). I have done this before, but BD have ignore me :P

Loganator456
21 Dec 2008, 09:17pm
Wow, this is just getting fucking annoying. No offense, but something really needs to be done. Quick. I have a relatively low ping on the two Escape servers, and every single round I will lag out/mess up because of lag at least 15 times.

MoreThanAPumpkinEater
24 Dec 2008, 04:49pm
Thanks for the concern for the public and not just the private clicks.