PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 4 vs. World at War

Frostbyte
13 Dec 2008, 02:53pm
First of all, you all saw this thread coming sooner or later. I was really bored, so I felt like making it.

First of all, lets get some things straight. Call of Duty 4 didnt ''revolutionize'' the genre. By no means am I calling this a bad game, but I think it was a BIT overrated. Thats coming from someone who played the game for a year. It was a very fun game. It got really repetitive after about the 4th prestige. Eventually, people on youtube mass produced glitches that gave people an unfair advantage over other players, which made the game less fun, imo. The campaign was great, and people felt truly sorry for Captain Price and Gaz on the last level. It was like an action movie, exept you controlled it instead of watching it.

Second off all, World at War was developed by Treyarch, the company responsible for Call of Duty 3, which made people automatically say 'this game sucks'. I think it is more of an expansion pack or a mod than a full fledged game. It still is a really fun game. It brings game types and features that people begged for in Call of Duty 4 like co-op campaign,
zombies, capture the flag (fuck yes), and new hardcore gametypes. Sure, people can call this, 'just another world war 2 shooter'. And well, they wouldn't be wrong. But its a damn good one. Tanks aren't super overpowered, and there are many means of defeating them.
I personally liked the introduction of the Pacific campaign. The competitive campaign was a great idea, along with the death cards (Halo 3 skulls anyone?), and it kept people coming back, and made veteran difficulty a hell of a lot easier. The online multiplayer is basically a copy/paste of the Call of duty 4 formula with world war 2 guns, its not necessarily a bad thing.

In a nutshell, Call of Duty 4 was a great game, and World at War brings some great new concepts to the table.

Robfal
13 Dec 2008, 10:14pm
COD4 FANBOII FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the truth is I havent played CoD4 in a LONNNNNNG time. I liked the campaign, but the maps in multi were very boring, as we had all seen them before at one point or another in singleplayer.
I remember the craze over "HALO 3 IS BETTAR!" "NO U!", and to be honest I liked both equally.

CoD:WaW came along and I tried really hard to like it, but I felt emptiness inside. I felt I was playing a "remake" so to speak of CoD 1, but a more gory version of it. All you accomplish in CoD: WaW is to redo the siege of the Reichstag, in a more glorified viewpoint. You say that Modern Warfare didn't revolutionize the series, but the truth is it did. The was a story loosely based on current world events, paired with a feeling of authenticity that only kept us asking for more. It DID feel like a movie and the new features brought in made it rise to the top. Sniping Zhakaev, sneaking thru Chernobyl, hammering tangoes with the AC 130 all made for an exciting game.

In conclusion:

CoD 4 is a groundbreaking venture where you are not bound by historical facts and do not know whats going to happen at the end until you play it.
Meanwhile CoD:WaW is a reincarnation of its predecessor and basically an amalgam of famous WW2 movies.

Eldest
14 Dec 2008, 03:21am
COD4 is simply awesome, I played the campaign(which was obviously too short!!:ohwell:) and I loved every bit of it. This is one of my favorite games that is also with good graphics that don't require a super computer.

Chêvouÿx
14 Dec 2008, 06:43am
I'm in the exact same spot as Queef :ohwell:

Determined2Win
14 Dec 2008, 09:26am
Playing Cod:4 in a large clan was a truly good experience for me personally.

We competed in CaL and TwL Matches every Saturday/Sunday night.

However like Frost said, It got repetitive and I lost touch with it.

It also wasn't as mod friendly as Counter Strike which is why I made the transfer.

-D2W

Frostbyte
14 Dec 2008, 11:15am
Oh man, clans were the SHIT!!!

Wrathek
14 Dec 2008, 04:13pm
to clarify queef, he said it didnt revolutionize the genre, not the series. meaning it was nothing new to what I refer to as "good" FPSs

Repus
15 Dec 2008, 05:13am
I'm cod fan but i don't have power in my comp for theese:angry:, call of duty started in ww2 and there it should die(after about 10 more games), i live in modern world so i don't want to play those crappy modern day war games.

Cranks
15 Dec 2008, 10:57am
Sorry its COD4 its just awesome...5 is just a game that was rushed them damn fan boys are pushing it now and its pissing me off there gonna start work on the 6th soon