PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Design between 1990-2008

Saxe
13 Dec 2008, 02:34pm
Ohh, the memories ^^

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2008/12/video-game-design-between-1990-2008/

Remembering the good all days, when me and my friends were playing Doom, Mortal Kombat, Quake or War Craft on a Pentium 133 MHz computer with Sound Blaster and a 4MB video card. A lot has changed since then.

Video games actually are a lot older than that we used to play in the 90s. The first video game was created in 1947 called Tennis for two and it was played on an oscilloscope like device.

With the release of Apple II, Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum in late 70s early 80s people could afford to buy such devices and to play video games from their own home. By the mid 80s the video game industry started to evolve in a fast phase releasing games such as Zork, Battlezone and Bard’s Tale.

Justice...
13 Dec 2008, 02:44pm
god damn i miss some of the old games!
spyro, crash bandicoot, gta 2 (fart ftw + elvis' peoples ftw), syphon filter, tomby, diablo 1 + 2, warcraft 2, etc. :P

Wrathek
13 Dec 2008, 03:30pm
good memories.

Frostbyte
13 Dec 2008, 04:00pm
My gaming career started with Resident evil: Directors cut on the PSone when I was I think 6.

Then I moved to Florida, and my neighbors got me hooked on Diablo 2 and D2: Lord of Destruction, my favorite game(s) by far. Then, Call of Duty came out, and I was playing that until halo came out. Then I played Ghost recon until Gears of War came out. Then I played Rainbow six vegas came out. Then I got some ice cream.

Lux
13 Dec 2008, 04:02pm
Brought up on SNES.

Dad used to help me with the hard parts >_<. Remember Metroid (I think?), Donkey Kong and Kirby.......classic!

Robfal
13 Dec 2008, 09:59pm
Holy crap.... some of my all time favorite games are on there.

Just sad that they didnt include Goldeneye in their '97 list. sad face.

icecream nao plz.

Frostbyte
13 Dec 2008, 10:46pm
Goldeneye was fun, I just didnt own a n64
I remember my friends and I used to play for hours, and EVERYONE picked oddjob for some reason.

Robfal
13 Dec 2008, 11:23pm
Cuz oddjob being a short dude, makes the opposition aim lower to get headshots. I used him alot too, also in temple I would use Gen Ouromov or the russian soldiers to "blend in" the background.

barackobama
13 Dec 2008, 11:32pm
Amazing how graphics has changed.

Daze
14 Dec 2008, 12:10am
My first console must have been a SEGA Mega Drive, I can remember playing Sonic.

Everything else is a blur.

BOOWY
14 Dec 2008, 12:23am
I wish they would've gone back a little further. The NES was my first serious console. I had some sort of Atari before that but that was when I was like 2-5 years old or something like that.

Still, my first online game was Quake on a 200MHz, 16 MB RAM machine on a 56K connection over the MPlayer service. I was in [TTC], The Terminal Clan. Q-Ball, Runes, the ORIGINAL Team Fortress... fuckin' great shit. There has yet to be a weapon I've used in a first person shooter better than Quake's rocket launcher.

James
14 Dec 2008, 04:30am
Well, the game that I found incredible was in '98, which was Unreal, now at that time, the graphics for games were beginning to change rapidly. The Unreal engine revolutionised it, by bringing features such as 3D image rendering and all sorts. Plus the original game was in a league of it's own.

Epic games sure brought out an epic game, it's just a shame that Unreal didn't have any GOOD sequels

Axel
14 Dec 2008, 05:36am
Well, the game that I found incredible was in '98, which was Unreal, now at that time, the graphics for games were beginning to change rapidly. The Unreal engine revolutionised it, by bringing features such as 3D image rendering and all sorts. Plus the original game was in a league of it's own.

Epic games sure brought out an epic game, it's just a shame that Unreal didn't have any GOOD sequels

To be honest I think goldeneye and the N64 revolutionized gaming
It was the first 3D console
Everyone followed suit rofl
I find it funny really...
Nintendo and Sony worked together on the PS1 for a short time then Nintendo left it!
Not sure why rofl
Goldeneye had shit sequels too
Nothing will ever compete to Goldeneye for me
It is still a game I will play when I'm 60!!

Eversmen
14 Dec 2008, 07:26am
Wow, that's amazing how much graphics and technology has really improved so fast. Brings back some memories with me and my brothers always fighting over the Nintendo 64.

PotshotPolka
14 Dec 2008, 01:47pm
I remember getting my first gameboy in second grade, wasn't even color. Pokemon was badass back then, there was nothing like it, so we didn't realize how retarded it really was to buy Red and Blue.

Hiphopopotomus
14 Dec 2008, 02:12pm
I really could not tell you what my first game was...and im only 14...im guessing when i was like 3-5 i was playing CRASH and Legend of Legaia-AWESOME GAME thats about all i remember from back then

Axel
14 Dec 2008, 07:32pm
I really could not tell you what my first game was...and im only 14...im guessing when i was like 3-5 i was playing CRASH and Legend of Legaia-AWESOME GAME thats about all i remember from back then

PS1 =|
EWWW
Crash was good
Legend of Lagaia was good
There is a sequel on PS2 =|
If you were 3 - 5 then you won't know quality gaming lol
SNES FTW

Prozak
14 Dec 2008, 08:46pm
lol wow

Jaffa
15 Dec 2008, 02:08am
Gunstar Heroes on Megadrive, absolutly awesome game, i still go back to play it now whenvever i can get my megadrive to run with sound AND colour :P

PotshotPolka
15 Dec 2008, 06:11am
*snaps fingers*
First game ever played was Metal Slug in an arcade room.

Frostbyte
15 Dec 2008, 02:28pm
I think my firstgame was Mega Man X for the SNES

Axel
15 Dec 2008, 03:50pm
I think my firstgame was Mega Man X for the SNES

Mario on NES was my first game EVER!!!
Do not regret it at all