PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Home Public Release

Lux
11 Dec 2008, 03:39pm
Firstly....this is not a flame thread, so please save me the bother.

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item134875/PlayStation-Home-opens-its-doors/

Home, the 3D social gaming community service on PLAYSTATION 3, moves into its open beta stage.

From December 11, 2008, PLAYSTATION 3 owners can download PlayStation Home free of charge. The ground-breaking service allows users to interact, communicate and share gaming experiences through their personal avatars.

"PlayStation Home is truly a promising network community service on the PlayStation platform, made possible with a combination of the power of PS3 and the PlayStation Network that covers many countries around the globe," said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment.

All you need to download Home is a PlayStation Network account and access to PlayStation Store. Providing you have the latest system software update installed, the Home icon will appear under PlayStation Network on the PS3 Home Menu (XMB).

Initially, you can chat in Home Square and head over to the Bowling Alley to bowl with friends, enjoy a few racks of pool and play on the arcade cabinets. In the Home Theatre, you can watch trailers for the latest games and movies, lifestyle programming from Hexus TV and gaming content from Eurogamer. Look out for the latest trailer of upcoming superhero blockbuster, Watchmen, and an exclusive video greeting from its director, Zack Snyder. Approaching the film's release, themed virtual merchandise such as t-shirts and character figurines will be made available and members of the cast and crew will be stopping by for exclusive Q & A sessions.

More themed areas are on the way, including spaces for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Warhawk, MotorStorm, SOCOM and Far Cry 2, and several third parties are on board to produce new content in the near future. You will soon be able to customise your avatars and apartments with the latest virtual clothing from Diesel and stylish furniture designed by Ligne Roset. And look out for the Red Bull Island, where you can jump into the cockpit of a Red Bull Air Race plane and compete against other Home users.

"PlayStation Home is unique compared to anything else in the gaming world and, by partnering with both global and regional gaming and non-gaming brands, we are able to offer exciting and entertaining content that will enhance the PlayStation experience," said Daniel Hill, Home Service Manager, SCEE.

Unlock PlayStation Home and interact with the PlayStation community in a more sociable way than ever before.

PLAYSTATION 3 owners, welcome to your new Home.

What do you guys think??? This has an endless amount of opportunities and ontop of pool, bowling etc you have the red bull air race which looks like quite a good game (pictured in link). Theres going to be alot of updates, and I think its a great add on, especially as its free.

Envy
11 Dec 2008, 06:07pm
It's fun and really interactive but the online downside(well for me) is that I get disconnected on the PSN every 5-10 minutes

Harpr33t
11 Dec 2008, 07:07pm
Nice its like the new PS version of xbox live. Seems like Microsoft actually will have an online console competition.

Lux
12 Dec 2008, 11:10am
Nice its like the new PS version of xbox live. Seems like Microsoft actually will have an online console competition.

mm??? never knew Xbox had anything like this...PS3 does have chat...voice chat etc already.

Anyway.....I'm also having trouble with Home right now, because I cannot connect. Some people can, some can't, I guess the servers are too busy...but it is beta so I am not going to judge on that.