PDA

View Full Version : New PC Or Upgrade?

Envy
7 Dec 2008, 12:52am
Well I honestly do not know anything about building a pc, but I want a new pc not an overly priced one that cant do shit just like mine. So here's my question should I just upgrade my pc(only what I really should) or just buy a new one and find someone to build it?

Oh and here are some of my specs (My PC's about 2-3 years old)

Inel Pent D 2.80 GHz
2 GB ram
Windows XP SP3
nVidia 7300 LE 512 MB
Asus PSLP LE Mother Board
RealTek Sound Card

andre1028
7 Dec 2008, 06:31am
I'd say keep Windows XP, upgrade your CPU to a dual core model (or quad core if you have the money), get another GB of ram (or two because in XP it can actually recognize 4 GB unlike Vista, anything under Ultimate can only recognize 3.5BG), a new graphics card in the Nvidia 8 series or 9 series (or ATI's 4000 series because it's catching up with Nvidia)

Oh yeah and get a new Mother Board, I'd recommend one from Intel.

EDIT: Seeing the deals from PC companies I actually suggest getting a pre-built PC. For under 1k you can get a great PC online. But if you want XP you're going to have to fork up another 40 bucks.

Zero001
7 Dec 2008, 08:11am
I'm holding onto this one until the next generation comes out.

I'd want to get a better graphics card. 7 series is fine, but for a lot of new games etc. I'd want at least a 7600. If possible, get an 8 series.

7 series and even 8 series should be quite cheap at the moment.
What do you define as the next generation? Core i7 and socket 1366 motherboards are already out.

A 7600 would cost him as much if not more than an 8600. It's not always cheaper to go with older tech.

I'd say keep Windows XP, upgrade your CPU to a dual core model (or quad core if you have the money), get another GB of ram (or two because in XP it can actually recognize 4 GB unlike Vista, anything under Ultimate can only recognize 3.5BG), a new graphics card in the Nvidia 8 series or 9 series (or ATI's 4000 series because it's catching up with Nvidia)

Oh yeah and get a new Mother Board, I'd recommend one from Intel.
Please, don't ever post advice in this section again.

RAM isn't Vista or XP limited. It's limited by the 32bit Operating System. As long as you have a 64bit OS you can fully utilize your RAM. Most XP users are the ones that are limited. Vista 64bit is a fully capable/usable OS. Can't say the same for XP 64bit.

ATI caught up to NVIDIA a while ago. Preference and pricing is really the only difference between most of the cards by either manufacturer.

Intel boards are solid performers, but they've always been weak in the OC department.

Envy, buying new or upgrading really depends on your budget. You can build a solid dual core system for great prices nowadays, so if you need help feel free to ask.

Envy
7 Dec 2008, 09:42am
Zero I would really appreciate if you could help me.
I'm willing to spend $500-$700 but I dont get the cash probably until mid March since I only have 200 right now, and have no problem waiting 'till then. I'm not that good with computer hardware, where to get them, or whats better than which, so I would like your help since no one I know personally is good with computers. So, what would be best for me if I have a budget of $500-$700?

Axel
7 Dec 2008, 11:00am
Buy a new one.
You can use your old one for storage maybe?
It is always good to have a back-up PC
Also having both XP and Vista will make you more knowledgeable in both!
I'm going to buy a new PC when I can, and run XP on it. This one is Vista you see!

Zero001
7 Dec 2008, 12:43pm
I'd be happy to help, but what I suggest at $500-$700 today probably won't apply in March. Prices are always changing with technology.

Envy
7 Dec 2008, 01:09pm
So would you recommend me to re-ask this question when I actually have the money to buy it or close enough to the amount of money?

andre1028
7 Dec 2008, 04:19pm
Please, don't ever post advice in this section again.

RAM isn't Vista or XP limited. It's limited by the 32bit Operating System. As long as you have a 64bit OS you can fully utilize your RAM. Most XP users are the ones that are limited. Vista 64bit is a fully capable/usable OS. Can't say the same for XP 64bit.

ATI caught up to NVIDIA a while ago. Preference and pricing is really the only difference between most of the cards by either manufacturer.

Intel boards are solid performers, but they've always been weak in the OC department.

Envy, buying new or upgrading really depends on your budget. You can build a solid dual core system for great prices nowadays, so if you need help feel free to ask.

1. Meanie :happy:
2. That's exactly what I meant, I just didn't explain it more detailed like you did.
3. Ok I don't have an excuse there. I wasn't up to par for the HD 4870 X2 yet lol.
4. I don't think an average user would touch the clock settings of his computer let alone bios. Seeing Envy needed help I recommended Intel because he seems like an average user.

Bottom line: Envy take Zero's advice because he whoops my ass when it comes to computer tech.

AppleShark
7 Dec 2008, 08:10pm
First of all, don't get Vista, because it's bollox. It limits you to 3.5GB Ram.
You need a P45 mobo so you can have 16GB (trust me, this is essential for gaming).
If you don't want a P45 get a Skulltrail and 2 Xeons (Clock speed doesn't matter as since you have two CPU's, you square it).
ATi are full of crap, for ultimate bang-for-buck you need 3 GTX 280's.
Get a HD-DVD drive for ultimate future-proofing and make sure you buy a non-brand power supply, as they are not at all important.

Actually on second thought, scratch that and get a MacBook Pro (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB471LL/A?mco=MTkzOTI0Ng).

:usa2:

Daze
7 Dec 2008, 10:05pm

Zero0001 already said it is not Vista that limits you to 3.5GB of RAM it is the 32x operating system, if your operating system is Vista 64x then you can have more.

StrykerSwat
7 Dec 2008, 10:19pm
least ur isnt bad
i got a ATI X125 or X120 Graphics Card -_-
but a fast PC i got 2.49GHz Rated for 7.0 :D

PotshotPolka
8 Dec 2008, 06:17am
I bought a Radeon HD 4870, the fucker is massive but owrth every penny and when I upgrade I'll probably just crossfire a second one.

If you're playing the bargain bin the 4850 is still an alright buy.

Red
8 Dec 2008, 09:21am
Upgrayyedd

GOD
8 Dec 2008, 07:00pm
get a new pc.

something along the lines of the new intel core i7
16gb ddr3 ram
2x radeon 4870x2
5 128gb ssd's for raid
1200+ watt psu
smooth creations case
vapochill lightspeed cooler
soundblaster fatality sound card
grado rs-2 headphones (for gaming and music)

that setup should last you about a year.

though seriously, whats your budget?

GOD
8 Dec 2008, 07:01pm
Zero0001 already said it is not Vista that limits you to 3.5GB of RAM it is the 32x operating system, if your operating system is Vista 64x then you can have more.

xp-64

xp has 64 bit version

Zero001
8 Dec 2008, 07:12pm
get a new pc.

something along the lines of the new intel core i7
16gb ddr3 ram
2x radeon 4870x2
5 128gb ssd's for raid
1200+ watt psu
smooth creations case
vapochill lightspeed cooler
soundblaster fatality sound card
grado rs-2 headphones (for gaming and music)

that setup should last you about a year.

though seriously, whats your budget?

He already posted his budget and just the RAM you listed would blow the budget. Your set up is way overkill and needlessly expensive. If you can't make that last at least 3-4 years you have problems.

Daze
8 Dec 2008, 07:16pm
xp-64

xp has 64 bit version

Yea..I knew that.

He already posted his budget and just the RAM you listed would blow the budget. Your set up is way overkill and needlessly expensive. If you can't make that last at least 3-4 years you have problems.

Agreed, that's top of the line specs and would cost way too much.

GOD
8 Dec 2008, 07:22pm

heh, sorry didnt see the budget of 5-700.

that whole post was a joke for the never ending cycle of upgraditis. btw, since none of you caught the headphones... the headphones alone cost 800, way out of budget :p

anyway for 5-700 you can have a great rig.

q6600
radeon 4850
4gb ram
dfi motherboard

this should all be whitin the budget. i am assuming though that the thread starter doesnt mind keeping the same case, same hard drive, and already has a copy of windows.

PotshotPolka
8 Dec 2008, 09:22pm
heh, sorry didnt see the budget of 5-700.

that whole post was a joke for the never ending cycle of upgraditis. btw, since none of you caught the headphones... the headphones alone cost 800, way out of budget :p

anyway for 5-700 you can have a great rig.

q6600
radeon 4850
4gb ram
dfi motherboard

this should all be whitin the budget. i am assuming though that the thread starter doesnt mind keeping the same case, same hard drive, and already has a copy of windows.

I'd suggest moving around the q6600 to a q9550 and upgrading the radeon to the 4870, that would keep the budget to 1200-1300 if he did some digging.

Another thing is that he has no knowledge of how to build a custom pc, format the drives, and would probably end up bricking a part with ESD from building it on the carpet in his room or whatever. Repair shops would charge enough to make you wish you just bought a pre-packaged pc to begin with, since they come with a factory warranty, and support site for drivers.

tinkerbell
9 Dec 2008, 12:39am
upgrade

q6600 or an E???? if you want to overclock it
your mobo will suport it which is good
get more ram, will make it load quicker
£150 tops for new gfx $225
and if you need more storage

its cheep!!!!!!!

Itch
9 Dec 2008, 08:11am
You need a P45 mobo so you can have 16GB (trust me, this is essential for gaming).
If you don't want a P45 get a Skulltrail and 2 Xeons (Clock speed doesn't matter as since you have two CPU's, you square it).
ATi are full of crap, for ultimate bang-for-buck you need 3 GTX 280's.
Get a HD-DVD drive for ultimate future-proofing and make sure you buy a non-brand power supply, as they are not at all important.

Actually on second thought, scratch that and get a MacBook Pro (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB471LL/A?mco=MTkzOTI0Ng).

Apple.. I don't even know where to begin.. That was great!

PotshotPolka
9 Dec 2008, 09:08am
Oh! Get this Mobo too!

Tyan Thunder 2500
http://jonshardware.com/images/2007_tyan_thunder_2500_0001.jpg

Zero001
9 Dec 2008, 09:30am
Which motherboard do you have exactly? I can't recommend an upgrade, until I'm sure. There seems to be two versions of that board one with an 800MHz FSB and one with a 1066MHz FSB. If you have the 1066 an upgrade will do you well, but if it's the 800 then I'd wait and buy new.

Envy
9 Dec 2008, 04:17pm
Yeah I have the 800 mhz one