PDA

View Full Version : Resistance 2 review upcoming on this thread.

LegalSmash
6 Dec 2008, 08:13pm
For those of you that love my game reviews, I will be reviewing R2 on the PS3 shortly, as I just purchased it for my birthday (A really sweet grandma still knows what I love).

Thus far surmised from reading the booklet:

Control pattern has changed, I'm not sure whether or not its a good thing, but I'll know soon enough.

The booklet is cute, made n 1950s norman rockwell style art.

Envy
6 Dec 2008, 10:57pm
Legal, I will be honest with you and save you the time of playing it, the game is just bland and boring honestly. There is nothing special to it no secrets nothing to make you ponder like how those secret dead bodies of those soldiers you'd find in the first one. There's nothing good about it honestly just some diffrent names for different guns and 2 or 3 new guns thats it. Oh and the most dissapointing thing that i found, there is no Dual Raptors! I WAS SO BUMMED WHEN I FOUND OUT THERE WAS NONE.

LegalSmash
7 Dec 2008, 12:32am
Legal, I will be honest with you and save you the time of playing it, the game is just bland and boring honestly. There is nothing special to it no secrets nothing to make you ponder like how those secret dead bodies of those soldiers you'd find in the first one. There's nothing good about it honestly just some diffrent names for different guns and 2 or 3 new guns thats it. Oh and the most dissapointing thing that i found, there is no Dual Raptors! I WAS SO BUMMED WHEN I FOUND OUT THERE WAS NONE.

Duly noted, I started a thread for my own review, not for you to come in and save me the time of playing it, there are other threads for you to do that on. After my review is done, you can come spew pointless posts about a lack of bodies. Thanks.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

I've played a level or so of the game. I'm stopping now at 2 AM because I'm exhausted.
Striking what is said above, at first glance, I'll say that the game is pretty. The graphics have been improved at least slightly, giving the game a more attractive look than R1 had.

While graphics will never completely make a game "good" per se, its nice to see a pretty game on screen, and this game does a good job of being pretty. There seems to be areas of the game where there is a great deal going on at once, planes strafing while a giant robot shoots at you and you shoot at it, objects exploding around you, etcetera, which is balanced against areas where you basically walk around in what appears to be a corridor maze. R1 did a good mix of both, and this game follows what is essentially a pretty successful formula from what I've seen thus far. It appears as though the textures, animations, physics, and general look of the game have been improved on, and appear somewhat brighter than R1. Many people have bitched about this, but then these are also the same people who are mad at blizzard for making Diablo 3 "prettier" and less "gritty". Personally, I like my video games to NOT look like I'm viewing them through a window at a tobacco factory, so I'll settle for pretty and bright.

The Chimera come in larger numbers it seems, and they individually seem to take less shots to kill per individual alien, but again, I've only met a few of them. I have to say however, that it is welcome relief to the "take 34 rounds before dying" chimera of R1.

Gameplay: thus far, my opinions are positive, I'm really fond of the new 2 weapon at a time system, as it injects a need to use strategy in game. The first game was a great Rambo like fire-fest, and I'm fine with that, but the game is supposed to have elements of survival sci-fi horror, and having several Vulcan cannons and a rocket propelled nuclear weapon crammed in your ass doesn't exactly make you feel like the desperate survivor of an apocalyptic alien invasion. The new weapons, and the rework of old weapons are a welcome change/improvement to the game. I think the best addition I've seen so far is the
magnum pistol with the explosive rounds. The rework of the Bullseye is especially enjoyable, because the gun is now accurate without the homing dart up to a respectable distance. The regular machine gun has been made less accurate at a distance, but from what I can tell, much more devastating at close range.

The controller configuration rework should not be a problem if you have not been constantly playing R1, and the changes are essentially minimal, some even helpful. H2H attacks have been moved to the Clicking function of the R button, and ducking/sprinting has been set on a shoulder button (L2), weapon swap is now Triangle. I think the most valuable Conf. change was placing the aim function on a shoulder button as opposed to that damn clicking the left stick. At least I am content with these changes.

Another change which makes the game a bit more approachable is the omission of the "life bar" and replacement with a screen reddening/regeneration(MP) scheme, allowing you to recover behind objects before trying to do something again. Considering the difficulty I've had with the R1 and most other games with life bars in shooting games, this is a welcome change to me. This by no means seems to make the game easier. You still get nailed by enough rounds quickly enough to drop you with little time to recover, orient yourself or duck behind cover, so the game remains challenging and full of player deaths, but with less.. annoyance deaths, its seems.

I'll write more on game play as I go further in the game through single player.

Multiplayer: I am actually very happy with this game's MP, and coming from me, it should mean something because I normally hate console MP games. There are both coop and competitive online modes, as well as a split screen coop which operates off line. I had the opportunity to play 2 matches in MP competitive, and it is a great deal of fun. The top limit of players in a math is 60, and my room was about at 38. The player can select a main loadout weapon and special items ranging from higher damage ammunition to special radars to assist the player and the team in game. I played a team death match on a chicago map, which was very enjoyable. The game starts with a degree of team work, and eventually degenerates into a whirling cavalcade of gunfire, grenades, and bodies when the opposing parties are located, sometime in a very humorous fashion. I will gripe however, that there are a great deal of camperdouches with their sniper rifles watching the main yard, trying to upgrade themselves with quick kills, but its nothing a rocket or two cannot take care of.

As I use the other modes I will write some more on the game.

At a first glance, I cannot really complain about the game as its given me exactly what I wanted and expected: a competent console shooter with a solid multi player. If the story is not what others would desire it to be, its likely because R2 has some pretty large shoes to fill in the shadow of R1s story line and telling, but again, its a sequel... and the rule with sequels is that they are usually not as great as the first... and as long as you remember that when you rent/purchase, you won't be entirely upset. Graphically, the game is very attractive, almost grandiose in its scope, which I think should be expected of a next gen game, there are not any noticeable frame slowdowns throughout the game thus far.

I payed full price for this game, and I am content with the purchase, both because its a good game, but also because I can do some activities with my cousins across the country that are also playing it. I give this game about a 9.3/10 because its an improvement to the original in many aspects, but the game fails to use the PS3's power to a markedly noticeable difference from its predecessor, the story line I wont yet comment on, because I haven't gone through it, but I don't expect to be watching Shakespeare, so I likely won't be disappointed. The multiplayer really gets this game a great deal of the score I give it, I really have not had this much fun with a game since I started to play COH online with SG community members, and that is really saying something.

I definitely would recommend this game to a friend for purchase.

Lux
7 Dec 2008, 06:45am
Nice review. It was what I was hoping to hear. I've been looking forward to this game for quite a long time, and when I get it I want to enjoy multiplayer, because last time I didn't get into it.

Itch
8 Dec 2008, 10:47am
One disappointment in this game is that the single player campaign can't be played in coop like you were able to in R1.

LegalSmash
8 Dec 2008, 02:34pm
One disappointment in this game is that the single player campaign can't be played in coop like you were able to in R1.

I thought this was going to be an issue at first, but to be honest, I kind of like the new set up, in R1, much like in halo, even if there is a second player, he is never acknowledged, and you are pretty much just another shooter in game, as opposed to an actual second character, R2's mission system at least makes it feel like side missions or something else, which while not following the main plot, at least makes the class based coop seem interesting. This is of course my opinion.

Itch
8 Dec 2008, 02:43pm
I played a lot of R1 with my 10 yr old nephew. His skill level makes it so that the side by side coop was still fun for him. With R2 that's not an option so for that limited scope it was disappointing to not be able to play with the nephew.

PotshotPolka
8 Dec 2008, 05:24pm
MS and Sony need to kiss and make up, and release this, and the original on PC.

MoreThanAPumpkinEater
9 Dec 2008, 03:26am
If MS and Sony kissed and made up 1.) That would be kinda cool 2.) They should make the greatest console ever.