PDA

View Full Version : Girl on my schools football team.

Harpr33t
3 Dec 2008, 06:03pm
I know the article is kinda old but I decided to post it anyway. Im on it as well but only as WR or sometimes if lucky, TE.

When Irene Gjoka moved to New York from Canada a year ago, she brought with her an unusual desire: to play high school football in America.

Gym teachers at Long Island City High School told the 5-foot-tall, 105-pound Gjoka she would be better off choosing a sport that didn't involve bone-crushing tackles by 250-pound behemoths.

Gjoka kept dreaming.

After enduring three weeks of brutal practices this fall, the diminutive girl with the indomitable spirit will suit up for her first game Sunday.
GALLERY: GJOKA CHASES GRIDIRON DREAMS

"I don't think anybody actually believed I was gonna do it until I actually did it," Gjoka, 17, said. "I wasn't scared because I like challenges."

Gjoka's unlikely foray into football has marked the first time she's played an organized sport.

Raised by a hyper-protective father, Gjoka wasn't allowed to join athletic teams as a young girl in Canada.

With long brown hair, pastel pink nails and carefully applied eyeliner, she seemed an especially longshot candidate for a spot on the Bulldogs squad.

Coach Stephen Agresti figured she'd go away after she inquired about the team last month.

"Once or twice a year, a girl will come out and say she wants to play football, and pretty much that's it," Agresti said.

Gjoka persisted.

State rules kept her from trying out for the squad right away. She first had to get permission from a panel that consisted of two doctors, a gym teacher and the school's athletic director.

In her first few practices, the slender and speedy Gjoka impressed Agresti with her conditioning and grit.

He didn't expect her to survive tackling drills.

"She came back the next day and was ready to go for more," Agresti said. "I thought she was either really dedicated or really crazy. I think it's a little of both."

Bruised but undaunted, Gjoka made it through the 16 practices needed to earn the right to dress for the 4-0 Bulldogs' game Sunday against Brooklyn's Performing Arts and Technology High School.

"I don't care about bruises or anything like that," Gjoka said as she revealed a red and purple wound that extends from her forearm to her shoulder. "Pain's not an issue."

Fewer than six girls have ever played for their high school football team, PSAL Commissioner Alan Arbuse said.

"I'm going to limit her to situations where she can play and not get clobbered," Agresti said, noting that Gjoka will probably line up on special teams. She has practiced blocking and tackling on special teams and running in the backfield.

Gjoka's teammates said they're looking forward to protecting her from opposing players who vow to "put that little girl on her a--."

"Whoever says that, I'm probably gonna put him on his a--," said Samuel Deutsch, a cornerback. "Gotta look out for our little sister."

Gjoka is hoping other girls will follow in her footsteps.

"Even if I end up breaking something, I just want to do it to prove to myself I can and to encourage other girls who are bigger than me and who can do a better job than me to go and do it," Gjoka said.

Heres her: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/galleries/queens_girl_tackles_football_dreams/queens_girl_tackles_football_dreams.html

Red
3 Dec 2008, 06:36pm
Fucking Canadians.

What's next, fat Canadians demanding two seats on our planes?

You should try out for the girl soft ball team.

GrayFox
3 Dec 2008, 08:09pm
There was a girl on my highschool football team, she played all but senior year I believe. Shes also a beast, so that shows you.

Modgers1
3 Dec 2008, 09:15pm
There was a girl on our football team. She kinda looked like a guy though, so I guess it was ok.

-Modgers

Harpr33t
4 Dec 2008, 06:05pm
but do you see how this girl looks like, if i tackled her.....

PotshotPolka
4 Dec 2008, 07:30pm
but do you see how this girl looks like, if i tackled her.....

I couldn't care less, the same goes for anything, even military, police, and firefighting. If they can serve up to the standards currently in practice then I see no reason to bar them from activities. And if she wants to go through with it fine, maybe she'll have second thoughts when 250 lb. Butch broadsides her so hard he breaks her hymen.

LegalSmash
6 Dec 2008, 05:23pm
I think women need to keep to women activities. I played def. end, linebacker on JV and V, and we had girls from ROTC periodically try out, each year during two-a-day practice, they'd get knocked on their ass and leave.

Women should take up more female activities, like kitchen maintenance.

Zero001
6 Dec 2008, 05:36pm
Harpr33t is just jealous that there's another girl on the team.

oh the irony :laugh:

Harpr33t
7 Dec 2008, 02:32pm
die zero die!!!!

Born to Pwn
7 Dec 2008, 06:02pm
Not really a big surprise to see this. :) There was 1 on our HS team also, and still is.

Silentfaith
26 Feb 2009, 10:49am
I think thats awsome, nothing wrong with it, its just not common. Grats to her for making it. I played football for 3 years in High School, we had no girls on our team, but it woulda been intersting.

Good luck to her.

Omar
26 Feb 2009, 11:07am
Women should take up more female activities, like kitchen maintenance.

LOL

Paladin
26 Feb 2009, 12:36pm
I think thats awsome, nothing wrong with it, its just not common. Grats to her for making it. I played football for 3 years in High School, we had no girls on our team, but it woulda been intersting.

Good luck to her.

Why oh why, would you resurrect a 2 month old thread?

trakaill
26 Feb 2009, 01:13pm
I missed that thread but damn..she is hot..for a football chick

Frostbyte
26 Feb 2009, 01:34pm
And if she wants to go through with it fine, maybe she'll have second thoughts when 250 lb. Butch broadsides her so hard he breaks her hymen.

That was really funny. +rep.

Metal
26 Feb 2009, 05:24pm
Fucking Canadians.

Fuck you boy XD CANADA FTW
lol bumping a old post lol, but that story was a waste of 4min

LegalSmash
27 Feb 2009, 07:18am

To ger post count up and rep.

CandleJack
27 Feb 2009, 08:14am
well there r 2 girls on the seneca wrestling team in my confernce and i had to wrestle one in the confernce jv meet it was.... awkward i stll won 11-4 i felt like an asshole

trakaill
28 Feb 2009, 01:54am
wrestling is so homoinapropriate but doing it with a girl sounds pretty fun did you grab her everywhere??

Silentfaith
28 Feb 2009, 08:18am

I didn't see that this post was made 2 months ago, it was like in the middle of the page.. You can delete my posting if you want lol.
Why does it matter about your post count? Its not like you get a medal for it ^-^. Anyway, delete my postings if you want.

Jimbo
28 Feb 2009, 04:59pm
theres a girl on my schools also

Demented
1 Mar 2009, 12:01pm
There was a girl on our football team. She kinda looked like a guy though, so I guess it was ok.

-Modgers

Lawl'd, maybe it was a Transvesti.

SneakySnake
1 Mar 2009, 01:34pm
Fucking Americans.

What's next, fat Americans demanding two seats on our planes?

Thats how us Canadians see it.

Don't make fun of us Canadians becuase of one girl. She was probably a troll anyway.

CandleJack
1 Mar 2009, 08:13pm
wrestling is so homoinapropriate but doing it with a girl sounds pretty fun did you grab her everywhere??

dude wrestling isnt gay and i really dont know lol, but it was awkward as hell i was going esy then she took me down and im like fuck this and i went all out

XeNo
1 Mar 2009, 09:38pm
dude wrestling isnt gay and i really dont know lol, but it was awkward as hell i was going esy then she took me down and im like fuck this and i went all out
Two guys grab assing each other to try and pin the other one to the ground = gay in just about every country.

The fact they're wearing uniforms and in a circle doesn't matter.

Mikey
2 Mar 2009, 09:03am
wrestling is gay unless your a sumo wrestler, then it's just really fat and gay.

jigglebelljr
2 Mar 2009, 02:09pm
Fucking Canadians.

lol I laughed so hard i thought that was kind of boring but red made my day lol

Caution
2 Mar 2009, 10:34pm
Two guys grab assing each other to try and pin the other one to the ground = gay in just about every country.

The fact they're wearing uniforms and in a circle doesn't matter.

QFT!

Harpr33t
5 Mar 2009, 07:11pm
My friend told me when we were in the weight room that she's on the wrestling team too.

Silentfaith
6 Mar 2009, 07:25am
My friend told me when we were in the weight room that she's on the wrestling team too.

I know some really hot girls that wrestle so ^-^

Harpr33t
14 Mar 2009, 09:38pm
Well the football coach asked me I want to play lacrosse and I said yes. I just hope she doesn't join for attention.

Crimson
17 Mar 2009, 12:21pm
Fucking Canadians.

Hey Mr! Thats not cool! :boxing:

Canada is pretty decent place... You know... FREE Healthcare?