PDA

View Full Version : BIA: Hells Highway PS3 review

LegalSmash
28 Nov 2008, 06:08pm
I went out for B friday, and for a whopping 20 dollars got BIA: HH, the third installment of the brothers in arms series by gearbox.

Pros:
A thinking shooter: this is the game that stood aside from all the other ww2 shooters in 2005 by having an actual cover and suppression system. Unlike the COH series up until the COD4 game, most ww2 shooters had the basic rambo/audie murphy gun run on a rail style of play. the original BIA brought a new element into the ww2 shooter genre by making you... die... if you ran out guns blazing in the open.

The game series follows your usual band of brothers storyline, bunch of paratroopers kill a bunch of germans... this one is different for the following reasons:

- Operation Market Garden is the subject of this game, most remember this as the failed WW2 operation that was supposed to end the war by Christmas 1944... it fell on its ass, and this game follows a squad of the 101, 502 pir throughout the unfortunately failed operation.

- This game is Gory, like almost Doom level gory, people come apart because of grenades, and faces get blown off by large caliber rounds, this is NOT a game for a 6 year old with a squeemy stomach. Grenades are SICK to watch go off.

- Story line is okay if you've never played the other two games. As I have never played the other two prior to now, its not a bad story, however, people I know that have all of them dislike the story because you care less for the characters...personally, I don't give a shit for most characters in a story on a personal level, and just want to know what is going on, and how to get to point A-B. In that sense, its almost like an RPG/FPS.

- Graphics are passable/good for PS3 game, the sound is actually pretty damn good.

- Game play is pretty great for what it is, and being that I payed 20 for a 59 game on B/F special, it wasnt a bad deal, you locate the Germans, have your squad sections fire on them and kill them... its pretty exciting the first few times, and it has not yet gotten old to me after a few hours. A fairly interesting and challenging thing about the game is the cover system. Cover can be blown up with different weaponry. There are many different ways to kill on the field, different angles to fire, etc. Its fairly ingenious and entertaining. Also, there are a great deal of different weapons that react differently in game... bottom line, its an enjoyable game.

Cons: Multiplayer seems to be fucked, or at least I have not gotten it to work yet, but I hope to.

Anyhow, for the price to quality ratio I give it an 8.5/10, as to actual playability, fun, gameplay, etc. I give it an 8/10, because I havent figured out how to unfuck the multiplayer yet.

LitKey
28 Nov 2008, 06:26pm
I want this game.

But I want it for the PC, and so far... haven't seen any BF deals for it on the PC. =(

Help me find one!

Robfal
28 Nov 2008, 06:58pm
you are a good reviewer legal, i didnt even finish reading this and Im already on the BIA page in steam buying it.

LegalSmash
28 Nov 2008, 07:07pm
Well, it was 20 for PS3, ECKSBAWKS, and PC at Target and best Buy today and tomorrow (Fri and Sat). I managed to find one put in the wrong PS3 game pile (behind some skating game...lol. I ruined someone's day).

I mean its not amazing, but for the price, it gets the job done. I really enjoy it.

I want resistance 2, but I'm not paying 59.99 for a game that doesn't come with a free blowjob coupon.

LitKey
28 Nov 2008, 07:21pm
Well, it was 20 for PS3, ECKSBAWKS, and PC at Target and best Buy today and tomorrow (Fri and Sat). I managed to find one put in the wrong PS3 game pile (behind some skating game...lol. I ruined someone's day).

I mean its not amazing, but for the price, it gets the job done. I really enjoy it.

I want resistance 2, but I'm not paying 59.99 for a game that doesn't come with a free blowjob coupon.

http://www.target.com/Brothers-Arms-Hells-Highway-Games/dp/B000KIBABA/sr=1-13/qid=1227924985/ref=sr_1_13/180-5996775-4764866?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3ABROTHERS%20IN%20ARMS&page=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=YZZC2RVRC335NKC4D3RVAHA?sku Id=8601612&st=BROTHERS+IN+ARMS&type=product&id=1191627802312

50 on both those sites. Is it only an in-store thing?

LegalSmash
28 Nov 2008, 07:24pm
http://www.target.com/Brothers-Arms-Hells-Highway-Games/dp/B000KIBABA/sr=1-13/qid=1227924985/ref=sr_1_13/180-5996775-4764866?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3ABROTHERS%20IN%20ARMS&page=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=YZZC2RVRC335NKC4D3RVAHA?sku Id=8601612&st=BROTHERS+IN+ARMS&type=product&id=1191627802312

50 on both those sites. Is it only an in-store thing?

It was in the Thurs. paper, including the post... Washington that is.

It was one of the doorbuster things.

PotshotPolka
28 Nov 2008, 09:08pm
It was in the Thurs. paper, including the post... Washington that is.

It was one of the doorbuster things.

I've been thinking about this one, but I'll wait until finals are over.

Did you run over any store clerks on the way in?

LegalSmash
29 Nov 2008, 12:05am
I've gotten a bit further down the story mode, and actually got the online to work. So here is some more info for you guys that are interested:

Multiplayer: basically this is very CS like. a group of fire teams against each other, however, my experience has been rather short, so here goes:

The name of this game online seems to be teamwork, however, most of the players online, save three of twenty on average, decided to take the name of the game and throw it in a fire. People online, at least on the console PS3 network are in a word: retarded. People basically run around singly, rambo style, trying to fire their weapons, which are generally only half adequate and accurate, into enemies that try to bunny hop, but aren't able to due to the game actually having a semi accurate body physics engine.

There are 4-5 boards, and you play your garden variety fps modes in it, from CTF to DM, basically run around and try to kill the other guys. The limit on the number of players is 20, but honestly, the way people play, its a good thing... I don't think I could stand another 4-6 guys that would make the experience even less pleasant.

There is one really great thing about multiplayer though, its the ability to avoid, in entirety, the fucktards online with their microphones, you can make and choose games with the feature disabled, AND you can disable it in your own console... so, even though I may have a working headset, but don't want to listen to ignorant children hurling racial epithets at each other in game, I can have a choice and avoid the whole thing.

More in games: Some levels actually let you get armored support.. which is awesome, and the levels in many places look absolutely beautiful, but for some reason, like every beautiful thing, its gotta somehow have an issue, and frame rate is that issue, it drops faster than a fat bitch who slipped on the way to the buffet in very action intensive sections. This is a problem that really pulls your suspension of reality completely out of whack mid game.

I have not had so much fun taking out a battery of 88s before, to be honest. I find it really interesting that the developers, despite lack of foresight in the frame rate department, managed to make the gunfights so damn endearing. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out a way to get an 88 cannon built into an alclove of a building taken... add to this a scarcity of ammo, where each shot should be well placed, or you'll quickly find yourself shooting with kraut weapons.

Weapons: Honestly, the difference between the weapons for axis and allies are pretty tremendous. Recoil and sound are fairly accurate, as is damage. This isn't really a game that allows you or anyone else to take 30 shots before dying. One good shot from a 30.06 to the chest and a german, or your squad mate will be sucking wind on the ground, a shot or two away from dying. This being the case, its forgiving enough for the game to be fun, using the new "screen red" system to show damage.

This game pretty much falls in between a COD WW2 game/MOH and Red Orchestra in terms of realism, in game accuracy, and tactics. Which is nice, because I really don't care for the RO, and have played all the CODs, save the newest one, and feel that it all runs together...

Modgers1
30 Nov 2008, 05:05pm
Ugh...I'm sooo torn on this game right now. I don't know what to do!

-Modgers

PotshotPolka
30 Nov 2008, 05:15pm
I haven't played MP yet, but I tihnk if we get enough people on PC to play it we could do well, just wish Legal got in on PC instead.

Tcp-Kill
2 Dec 2008, 09:00am
I was thinking about buying this for PC, you have actually lent me closer to buying it.

LegalSmash
5 Dec 2008, 12:15pm
I beat the game. The campaign is short, but its good. Its a story that takes places during a battle widely considered to be the greatest allied defeat of ww2, with the exception of dunkirk, so it takes place over a fairly short period of time.

More on MP, if you like CSS, its similar, once you die you must wait till the end of the round to emerge again, it helps if a team works together. I was on a decent team two days ago and we had a few match run, but again, the majority of console online players seem to be fucktards of the highest degree, so I wouldnt expect much outside of PC for actual cooperative play.

Italian Jew
5 Dec 2008, 02:57pm
I would say console games seem to have more fucktards is because everyone has a mic. PC users do not always have mics, especially younger kids. You would see few young kids with a mic on CS while on Halo for instance, every kid who owns that game has a mic because it comes with the console.

For any cooperative play I get some friends together. I wouldn't expect random people to be very helpful on either console or PC. Its a lot easier to work with someone you know to a certain degree and for a game like Brothers in Arms, easier teamwork leads to better gameplay.

Wraith
5 Dec 2008, 02:57pm
A majority of people on any console or pc on any game are going to be fucktards. its peoples nature when they can say what they want and act how they want with no real consequence.

LegalSmash
5 Dec 2008, 06:02pm
I have a PS3, and I don't own a mic for it.
I have a PC mic, but its pretty much for COH communications:
"Get the fuck over there" type talk.

I never get why people have to start saying ignorant shit in game.
Today, a ten year old asked someone if they'd ever raped a giraffe.

Italian Jew
5 Dec 2008, 07:02pm
They think they can hit it big by acting weird. Remember, little kids think weird is cool and for some reason, they think it correlates to kudos points online with other players. I think most grow up and learn proper internet etiquette (if there is such a thing) while the completely assbackward individuals strive to become a professional dumbass and annoyance. We know these professionals as those from mYg0t, Microshock, airassault, Cancer, etc. Hopefully they won't turn out that way and grow out of it.

Then again, you could always come across the inquisitive 10 year old who is somehow doing a study on giraffe rape by humans :rlol: