PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead Review

StrykerSwat
23 Nov 2008, 07:55am
Well,its been a hell of a great week for Valve/Steam,new game came out and a 10th Anniversary for Valve's Half-Life (that cost only .98 cents,but offer is over) and the Pre-Order of GTAIV with a free copy of GTA:Vice City.

But I am here to give u my review about L4D.

Well,here is my review of my Likes & Dislikes for L4D.

Background Story:
Well,this is gonna be simple,you are one of the 4 survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse,you and your friends(or other people from online)will have to stick together to survive this Deadly Apocalypse, and if u don't your pretty much dead,this game forces you to work together,and well that's that about working together,but back to the characters you can pick one of the character's,Names are,Bill,Francis,Zoey and Louis, you and the other 3 players will have to work together in order to get from the evacuation level, but while you are trying to do that you will be trying to get stop by Hordes of Zombie, and some Boss Zombies(which i will talk about later on).

Single Player:
Well,when you play Single-Player on this game its kinda fun,I mean if only the characters aren't dumb, I mean really its mostly you,yourself and your gun,sometimes the survivors(bots) wont be able to help u, since there busy, but sometimes when your in need of help, the bots will just sometimes kill zombies first and rescue you, sometimes they rescue you while a bunch of zombies come at you, It kinda gets annoying because sometimes the bots don't even know what they should do, but its still has that fun in the game.

Online Coop:
Well,Online is basically the same as Single-Player,except with smarter people and with the words "Really Fun" attached to it.
While Single Player has the bots, Online Coop will have players, In My Opinion i think it is more fun online, because you can be able to complete all the maps on Expert 1/3 while on Single Player 1/4, I mean sometimes you will be able to make friends in the game and sometimes people would say your an ass when really they are one.
My dislikes about Online Coop is that the assholes in the game, they dent to kill you on purpose and say "Shit My Bad", sometimes there just asshole that kill you and won't help you up,or sometimes your team sucks and you get mad at them, which does get annoying but most of the times you will have people the wont do all of that.

Versus Mode:
If you like the Coop you might love Versus, in this mode you will be able to be Zombies and/or Survivors, when your a zombie the AI Director gives you a zombie to spawn with, but to spawn you have to be in away from the survivors to spawn,not close but away,while you take turns on each map sections your team will get switch after you die or you escape the section,when you become zombie you can become 3 boss zombie,Boomer,Hunter,and Smoker.

Boomer,Boomer zombie will be this fat/chubby zombie that moves kinda slow,he has really low health,but he is useful while your close or gonna be, you can vomit or them to sent hordes of zombies running down to the ones you left your vomit,you can still attack with your hands but zombies go after the vomited survivors,but if survivors shoot at u close by them, vomit still comes out from your stomach,and acts like an explosion and pushes survivors back.

Hunter,Hunter is that fast kick ass looking zombie,but what the hunter does is that you will have to crouch,while your in the position, when u see a survivor you can dash at one and put him in the ground while you hit him with your claws, but watch out, survivors can push or hit you off of him/her or they can shoot you down,its useful skill if survivor is by himself.

Smoker,Smoker is a zombie, with a long ass tongue that can reach out and get a survivor,survivors can do the same thing to save them,but after a survivor kills a smoker, the smoker well, leaves smoke around the survivor,now i don't know what it does,only that it makes players not see and cough, its really not effective but still fun.

Witch and Tank:
Well these 2 are the big zombie bosses,the one that you can get killed easy.
Tank can be controlled one at a time, you can hit them with a powerful hit,while the other attack button the tank destroys and grabs the floor and then throws it at you,which can give a survivor a great deal of damage,but slow attack still useful on high grounds.
Witch is controlled by the AI Director, she can kill u after 8 hits(with green health)but when your down in the ground u better spray and pray for your survival on her,because it takes 4 hits,and it depends on the speed of her hits on you,you can't control her only AI Director,and her anger managment problems,if you shoot her,throw a pipe or cocktail,get close to her or have the light near her face she will get you and only you,so u better pray that your teammates help you to kill her.

AI Director:
Well AI Director, is like a movie Director, except more evil, the AI makes a decision on when or where will the zombie hordes will attack at and at what time,you don't control him either,it controls himself,but its pretty nice thing to have since it makes the game more fun and challenging.

Graphics:
These graphics are great, even tho this is Source graphics, there well detailed and well nice blood and nice detailed on the survivors but this is really nice detail, even if its on an Xbox 360 its a really nice detailed looking game.

Well there is my review, I would recommend this game a BUY tap,really fun with friends and players, hope you enjoyed my review and reading it.

If you want to give me more details please post it in this thread or PM me,but for now i give this game a

9/10

barackobama
23 Nov 2008, 09:16am
Interesting, I haven't actually played the game personally, but I've heard it's way to short.

I don't see why people we're so crazy about this game, we can't even get servers popular because of the stupid random server shit, and groups you have to join.

It's very bad for community's to attract new people, because you have to join a group first before you can have a list of the servers.

Apart from that, I hear it's fun, but it's not for me, therefore I will not be playing, thanks for the review, it's given me a insight of the game.

10/10 for your review, time and effort.

Wrathek
23 Nov 2008, 03:55pm
[QUOTE=GarfieldH;123592]Interesting, I haven't actually played the game personally, but I've heard it's way to short.

I don't see why people we're so crazy about this game, we can't even get servers popular because of the stupid random server shit, and groups you have to join.

[\QUOTE]

because its really fun. i'm not quite sure how a game meant to be played solely online can have a length to it? is counter-strike too short too?

Axel
23 Nov 2008, 04:49pm
I didn't get to play the demo of this game
I was too busy with things
I am considering buying it anyway
or maybe CoDWaW
haven't decided
I already knew all that info though
WIKIPEDIA FTW :D

Red
23 Nov 2008, 08:21pm
From what I've played, I also give it a 9/10

mNote
23 Nov 2008, 08:34pm
is counter-strike too short too?

Counter-Strike does not have a story line to it.

Other than that, thanks for the briefing, Stryker.

I was skeptical in getting this game but this review has helped me make a decision.

I'm not going to get the game, haha. Too short from what I've heard.

Wrathek
24 Nov 2008, 08:36am
Counter-Strike does not have a story line to it.

Other than that, thanks for the briefing, Stryker.

I was skeptical in getting this game but this review has helped me make a decision.

I'm not going to get the game, haha. Too short from what I've heard.

i'm full aware of that.

but my point is if you wanted to buy this game for its story, you're doing it wrong.

StrykerSwat
24 Nov 2008, 09:25am
Actually last night i was looking at the commentary on l4d,
they were talking about all characters and like that
but later at the end where u get in the heli there were talking about them making the story to contniue

in previous production,they made the survivors well leave like we do after we completed,then later on they would make the pilot say "I feel weird" and really he was bitten and was gotten infected,then later the helicopter crashes

but since the playtesters and them,felt like they really didn't accomplish nothing so they got that part taken off so we can feel like we accomplish something

even in the begining they said that the intro took about 40 secs,but since the playtesters wanted to just get into the game, they sorten the intro

its really great to listen to them and they explain well at what they used to have and what ideas they had in the past and improve till today

BOOWY
25 Nov 2008, 07:36am
I like the game, but it begs for more content. And, like I've said before the game is released, co-op is great and all but it sucks getting stuck with dumbasses. I've yet to hear a 12 year old on the mic which is a blessing.

Wrathek
25 Nov 2008, 12:29pm
now that you mention it i havent either.. i dont wanna blow our chances so i wont say it but my thought involves xbox.

h3adsh0t
2 Dec 2008, 07:09pm
I Played the demo i thought it was pretty good graphics and every thing that my opinoin:rlol:

juku
3 Dec 2008, 08:54am
It just needs more content such as more campaigns. Also unlock all campaigns to be usable in versus mode.

Metal
4 Dec 2008, 10:11am
The story itself is a few hours but the game in co-op is more better.
Its a great co-op game for those lonely night

Lux
12 Dec 2008, 06:36pm
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/459-Left-4-Dead

Not bad.........he hasn't completely slaughtered it, but missed out the new campaign making feature......so missed out on a big part of the replayability factor.

| Exit Wound |
21 Dec 2008, 01:49pm
Its a good game a bit short and a lack of servers

Huwajux
30 Dec 2008, 05:06pm
Its a good game a bit short and a lack of servers
Granted, there is a lack of servers. However if you purely wish to play through the game campaign by campaign until you complete all 4, then you won't get the most out of it. There is a reason for an AI director, and that is to add replayability. Every time you go through a level it is different from the last time you played it.

Left4Dead isn't exactly a story-driven game. I see the campaigns more as maps, as you would with Counterstrike. The ultimate principle is the same (Blast Zombies), however the different campaigns shake it up a lot. I remember playing to demo to death. It was only like the first 2 chapters of the first campaign yet I never got tired of it.

Henrik
31 Dec 2008, 04:17am
well i think valve should have a server system like in counter-strike source you can get a server system up but no1 use it

but nice review

TwistedKiller
2 Jan 2009, 03:45pm
I think you should edit this :3 "there well detailed and well nice blood and nice detailed on the survivors but this is really nice detail, even if its on an Xbox 360 its a really nice detailed looking game."

CandleJack
2 Jan 2009, 11:25pm
Well,its been a hell of a great week for Valve/Steam,new game came out and a 10th Anniversary for Valve's Half-Life (that cost only .98 cents,but offer is over) and the Pre-Order of GTAIV with a free copy of GTA:Vice City.

But I am here to give u my review about L4D.

Well,here is my review of my Likes & Dislikes for L4D.

Background Story:
Well,this is gonna be simple,you are one of the 4 survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse,you and your friends(or other people from online)will have to stick together to survive this Deadly Apocalypse, and if u don't your pretty much dead,this game forces you to work together,and well that's that about working together,but back to the characters you can pick one of the character's,Names are,Bill,Francis,Zoey and Louis, you and the other 3 players will have to work together in order to get from the evacuation level, but while you are trying to do that you will be trying to get stop by Hordes of Zombie, and some Boss Zombies(which i will talk about later on).

Single Player:
Well,when you play Single-Player on this game its kinda fun,I mean if only the characters aren't dumb, I mean really its mostly you,yourself and your gun,sometimes the survivors(bots) wont be able to help u, since there busy, but sometimes when your in need of help, the bots will just sometimes kill zombies first and rescue you, sometimes they rescue you while a bunch of zombies come at you, It kinda gets annoying because sometimes the bots don't even know what they should do, but its still has that fun in the game.

Online Coop:
Well,Online is basically the same as Single-Player,except with smarter people and with the words "Really Fun" attached to it.
While Single Player has the bots, Online Coop will have players, In My Opinion i think it is more fun online, because you can be able to complete all the maps on Expert 1/3 while on Single Player 1/4, I mean sometimes you will be able to make friends in the game and sometimes people would say your an ass when really they are one.
My dislikes about Online Coop is that the assholes in the game, they dent to kill you on purpose and say "Shit My Bad", sometimes there just asshole that kill you and won't help you up,or sometimes your team sucks and you get mad at them, which does get annoying but most of the times you will have people the wont do all of that.

Versus Mode:
If you like the Coop you might love Versus, in this mode you will be able to be Zombies and/or Survivors, when your a zombie the AI Director gives you a zombie to spawn with, but to spawn you have to be in away from the survivors to spawn,not close but away,while you take turns on each map sections your team will get switch after you die or you escape the section,when you become zombie you can become 3 boss zombie,Boomer,Hunter,and Smoker.

Boomer,Boomer zombie will be this fat/chubby zombie that moves kinda slow,he has really low health,but he is useful while your close or gonna be, you can vomit or them to sent hordes of zombies running down to the ones you left your vomit,you can still attack with your hands but zombies go after the vomited survivors,but if survivors shoot at u close by them, vomit still comes out from your stomach,and acts like an explosion and pushes survivors back.

Hunter,Hunter is that fast kick ass looking zombie,but what the hunter does is that you will have to crouch,while your in the position, when u see a survivor you can dash at one and put him in the ground while you hit him with your claws, but watch out, survivors can push or hit you off of him/her or they can shoot you down,its useful skill if survivor is by himself.

Smoker,Smoker is a zombie, with a long ass tongue that can reach out and get a survivor,survivors can do the same thing to save them,but after a survivor kills a smoker, the smoker well, leaves smoke around the survivor,now i don't know what it does,only that it makes players not see and cough, its really not effective but still fun.

Witch and Tank:
Well these 2 are the big zombie bosses,the one that you can get killed easy.
Tank can be controlled one at a time, you can hit them with a powerful hit,while the other attack button the tank destroys and grabs the floor and then throws it at you,which can give a survivor a great deal of damage,but slow attack still useful on high grounds.
Witch is controlled by the AI Director, she can kill u after 8 hits(with green health)but when your down in the ground u better spray and pray for your survival on her,because it takes 4 hits,and it depends on the speed of her hits on you,you can't control her only AI Director,and her anger managment problems,if you shoot her,throw a pipe or cocktail,get close to her or have the light near her face she will get you and only you,so u better pray that your teammates help you to kill her.

AI Director:
Well AI Director, is like a movie Director, except more evil, the AI makes a decision on when or where will the zombie hordes will attack at and at what time,you don't control him either,it controls himself,but its pretty nice thing to have since it makes the game more fun and challenging.

Graphics:
These graphics are great, even tho this is Source graphics, there well detailed and well nice blood and nice detailed on the survivors but this is really nice detail, even if its on an Xbox 360 its a really nice detailed looking game.

Well there is my review, I would recommend this game a BUY tap,really fun with friends and players, hope you enjoyed my review and reading it.

If you want to give me more details please post it in this thread or PM me,but for now i give this game a

9/10

That is right on the nose Stryker Swat great review of a an amazing must have game. if it had been released earlier this year no doubt it would have won the game of the year award and the VGAS

Third
7 Jan 2009, 05:17pm
I like it and all but i dont play it as much as i thought i would. I still have so much to earn on it and so much to do but tbh i cba.

I only like vs mode, well when im a smoker :]

Huwajux
9 Jan 2009, 05:25pm
I like it and all but i dont play it as much as i thought i would. I still have so much to earn on it and so much to do but tbh i cba.

I only like vs mode, well when im a smoker :]
Hopefully the upcoming updates should fix that.

Omar
9 Jan 2009, 05:51pm
I rented it from my friend, way to short and theres only 20 maps. Not a game for me. I like long nice games instead of short and pointless.

Though it can be fun online.

Though it doesn't reach my standards therefore i do not recommend this game.

PotshotPolka
12 Jan 2009, 10:38am
When is the new campaign supposed to be launched?

Jaffa
12 Jan 2009, 11:09am
New campaigns (3rd party/user created) can't be released without the sdk, as the current unofficial one they are using to design their campaigns doesn't allow them to set areas for zombie/horde spawn, which means hordes etc can spawn in the safe rooms. Thee are more issues as well that can't be fixed without it. Valve have said the sdk will be with the new patch coming out soon

Wraith
12 Jan 2009, 01:31pm
That new patch is supposed to include Death Toll and Dead air into the versus maps which would be so freaking sweet

StrykerSwat
12 Jan 2009, 03:16pm
is the next update this week or next week,i just can't wait for all new L4D campigns

Phoenix
17 Jan 2009, 03:27pm
i've played this on xbox 360 and from experience games and usually better on the PC, so i need this game like asap :nuts:

cP#
21 Jan 2009, 02:31pm
The game is great.
Love the idea about killing so many.
The gameplay is great too. The only thing i dont like about it, is the maps. Only four of them? .