PDA

View Full Version : Military-Grade Laptops

PotshotPolka
22 Nov 2008, 08:56am
http://www.pclaunches.com/entry_images/0308/05/dell_latitude-xfr-d630-thumb-450x399.jpg

I have this urge to buy one for the same reason people buy Hummers, even though I can't think of a situation in which I would carry the damn thing... unless I took it, and all 10 lbs. worth of battery cells it coems with on the 100-150 mi. hike we're planning this summer so I can get some gaming in (these things have a battery charge life of up to 48 hours, and can hold high performance graphics cards).

...They can cost upwards from $3,000-$10,000 though.

VirDeBello
22 Nov 2008, 09:07am
Well thanks guy.......you didn't give us a website from where to buy it from smart guy :laugh:

Wrathek
22 Nov 2008, 05:35pm
dell.com.

LitKey
22 Nov 2008, 05:59pm
http://www.dell.com/xfr

There it is... looks fucking awesome.

dpgpowerlifter
22 Nov 2008, 06:29pm
thats freaking awesome man, i so want one.

check this one out

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/laptop-computers.asp

PotshotPolka
22 Nov 2008, 06:38pm
I'm a bit surprised they are selling them for general use, but peeps like the Peace Corp are probably back-ordering the hell out of them.

Sandstorm
22 Nov 2008, 08:17pm
but its dell...

tinkerbell
22 Nov 2008, 08:42pm
i heard a couple of years back that a laptop like the one your on about, actually saved someones life, this guy held his laptop up to shield himself with, a bullet hit the laptop, thus saving his life.......but it gets better, the laptop still functioned as normal, the only thing that needed replacing was the hard drive!!!!

so if you plan to go to a war zone and still game, buy one of those, will take a bullet and still work!!!

PotshotPolka
22 Nov 2008, 08:48pm
but its dell...

Well there are other models out there, only annoying thing is that I can't find any on newegg, which means you either need to buy used off ebay or new straight from the company.

Wrathek
22 Nov 2008, 10:37pm
i dont understand why any of you want these tho, they are far too overpriced for any sane normal use.
but dont take my word for it, i cringe at the thought of a gaming laptop.

Modgers1
23 Nov 2008, 07:30am
Didn't you just get done building a state-of-the-art computer anyway Potshot? :rlol:

-Modgers

barackobama
23 Nov 2008, 09:04am
They look extremely ugly...

PotshotPolka
23 Nov 2008, 07:14pm
Didn't you just get done building a state-of-the-art computer anyway Potshot? :rlol:

-Modgers

I still want to build that workshop rig that would process 16X what mine can now, problem is that it would:
a) be expensive as fuck around 6K
b) run up my electric bill
c) I doubt my AC unit could compensate enough to keep the house cool if it was running.

flipside: A two-in-one computer/heater for the winter time!

Itch
23 Nov 2008, 09:43pm
Look Potshot.. if you want to waste money.. you can just send it to me.

There are a ton better laptops that can be purchased with a warranty that covers damage of any kind (Geog professor dropped his in a lake and got a free replacement) for a lot less money..

So yes if you buy this just for the hell of it you should just start handing your money to random strangers.. or better yet .. me!

Eldest
23 Nov 2008, 11:01pm
So yes if you buy this just for the hell of it you should just start handing your money to random strangers.. or better yet .. Eldest

So kind of you Itch to remember me :).
Anyway, I wouldn't waste all my hard earned money to buy something like this, also, I don't think hiking = playing FPS in middle of the forest :rlol:

Wrathek
24 Nov 2008, 08:35am
They look extremely ugly...

thank god.. there ARE sane people here.

and they weigh a SHIT ton.

PotshotPolka
24 Nov 2008, 10:06am
thank god.. there ARE sane people here.

and they weigh a SHIT ton.

Only a measly 10 lbs.

And FFS it was a gimmick I noticed, don't get all pissy because someone is looking around and foundsomething that wasn't a Iphone/pod related looked cool.

Wrathek
24 Nov 2008, 01:01pm
i'm not getting pissy, i was agreeing with garefield, also, i dont particularly enjoy iphone/ipod anyway, so dunno where that jab came from.