PDA

View Full Version : L4D Tactic sharing Thread

Yamato
19 Nov 2008, 05:20pm
First of all, everybody can share his or her specific tactics used here. Second, please do not copy other players word and use it as yours. If you want to copy, give the player who wrote it credit or write it in your words.

Okay, here are my tactics I want to share.

Let's pretend you know the basics.

Campaing Mode

Boomer

-Boomer's are very bad and if you hear them (sounds like a fat moaning guy) you should be extremly careful around corners.
-If you see a boomer, try to shove him back before shooting him
-Once you are vommited on, try to run into a small room or into a corner and immediately ask your teammate to back you up.
-While you are vommited on, do not shoot, because that would waste your ammunition since you are partially blinded and there is a too great risk to hit teammates while shooting blind.
-If you are vommited on, this is a risky move : If you have a pipe bomb, this is a great time to throw it, but be careful, if you won't throw it far enough, you will take yourself and your teammates straight to hell.
-Boomers are weak, about 3 - 5 pistol bullets will take him out.

Smoker
-Smoker can take about the same damage as Boomers.
-Once a Smoker is down, try to get out of the smoke since it will partially blind you.
-As soon as you see your screen moving, look immediately for the Smoker and try to hit him
-If your teammate is constricted, you can either shoot at the teammate, the tongue or the smoker himself to free the teammate. While constricted, the teammate will not take damage from friendly fire.

Hunter
-If you hear a hunter, be slow, don't rush or panic. If you actually see him, run back as far as possible while shooting him.
-In a horde, hunters are hard to recognize. The only way to recognize them is when you actually see them jumping or see them crouching.
-If you teammate is pinned down by a hunter, shoot the hunter, as said before, while pinned, the teammate is immune to friendly fire.
-If you are close enough, shove the hunter because it won't waste ammo and will stun the hunter for a decent time.

Tank
-If you hear a tank, try to run back/forward to a room with decent ammound of open spaces and many obstacles for the tank such as the warehouse in "No Mercy"
-Once a tank is stalking you, concentrate yourself on running away. Do not run backwards since you are likely to run into objects. If the tank got some distance from you, shoot him.
-If the tank pinned a teammate, continue to shoot on the tank. Melee the tank, it will most likely draw his attention to you, leaving your teammates an opportunity to revive the teammate.
-Tanks can tear down walls and doors as if they were butter, so don't even try locking yourself up.
-Once a tank picked up concrete or a car, run left or right and shoot him while running.

General

Close doors behind you, thats a real smart move to slow zombies from rushing from behind. And have the three guys have the 12 and one guy always walking backwards lookin' at the 6.

Also the best idea is to hit any type of boss with a moltov,

Well, I want you to write about the rest (Versus mode, Infected) , because I am a little busy right now, so see ya later.

Versus Mode

As a Boomer
-As a boomer you will try to suprise them.
- You should try to spawn some distance in fron of them or in the back.
-Try to stay on rooftops or other similar position and continusely vomit down on the humans (A nice position would be the floor above the safe room on Part 2 - No Mercy.
-As a boomer, your actually strenght lies in the ability to summon many common infected.
-Try to hit as many humans as possible on one vomit. Wait until they are close together, do not run for a single human. Once you are vomited on, the humans will know that you are there and will watch out for you.
-As a boomer, you have terribly low health, so plan your moves wisely

As a Smoker
-Again, as a Smoker, you do not just run into the mass and kill everyone, you wait patiently until your prey comes into the trap.
-Your tongue will be your main wepaon, both making the human defendless as well was damaging him slowly.
-Try to catch a human when a horde is incoming. Alone, you will not survive long or will not even get to catch a human.
-Once a Human is constricted, Common Infected will run on him and attack him, so you might want to constrict the human at a place where many Common Infected are.
-Your tongue attack takes a while to reload, and once you have a human, you cannot volunteerly release him again, so plan your moves!
-If you have other Special zombies constricting/pinning humans, aim for the one that is still free, since it will lower their chance of escape drastically.

As a Hunter
-As a hunter, you are the quick attacking person.
-Again, try to attack while a horde is incoming. Alone you are useless.
-Once pinned, you cannot release a human volunteerly.
-Try to get the humans who got too far away from its teammates.
-Again, like the smoker try to aim for people freely, since it will make the situation bad for the humans.
-As a hunter, your strenght lies in your speed. Apparently, many players do not get it. You do not run stright forward into the crowd and attack the humans. You will have to ambush them. Be mean.
-You can only pounce a human when you are crouching, so walk around crouched near humans, beeing ready to attack the next one that spots you.

As a Tank
-Of course, as a tank, it seems like you just have to run on them , attack them, kill them, win. I PWN!
Sadly, this is not the case. Even this big moving piece of meat can be useless when not used correctly.
-As a tank, you will try to aim for the weak ones first, IMO, you should try to get the ones with MGs first, since they will be effectively hurting you on distance.
-Once a human is incapacitated, run onto the next run, trying to incapacitate them. As soon as someone tries to revive the fallen teammate, immediately run back and attack the teammates that tries to rescues the incapacitated. Most likely, this human will run away, leaving the incapacitated player to bleed to dead.
-If you feel you cannot make it to the incapacitated human on time, use your ability: Throw things :)!
-A good tank is tricky. You follow one teammate for a long time, so another teammates feels safe from you and comes closer. Thats when you actually jump to the one that got close. The same goes for incapacitated humans, while a human is down, you can just continue to attack him, forcing the other teammate to come close. Now, you either already killed the incapacitated player, or you did not. If you did not, and the other one is coming close enough, immediately turn around and chase the other player.

GrayFox
19 Nov 2008, 05:40pm
Also the best idea is to hit any type of boss with a moltov, and throw pipe bombs if a Boomer spits on you.

Wraith
19 Nov 2008, 05:43pm
in verus mode, my greatest tactic is on the maps in which they have a hole. or any area that people have to drop down and can't get up from, is to get the last person before they jump down and even if your killed while attacking him but they are incapacited they are just left there to die as the team can't get up to save him.

Also get the people who are stray from the pack. you will damage them a good amount even if you don't kill them. and infected is all about weakening them thru the map so they can't finish it.

VirDeBello
19 Nov 2008, 06:02pm
Close doors behind you, thats a real smart move to slow zombies from rushing from behind. And have the three guys have the 12 and one guy always walking backwards lookin' at the 6.

Wrathek
20 Nov 2008, 12:03pm
in verus mode, my greatest tactic is on the maps in which they have a hole. or any area that people have to drop down and can't get up from, is to get the last person before they jump down and even if your killed while attacking him but they are incapacited they are just left there to die as the team can't get up to save him.

Also get the people who are stray from the pack. you will damage them a good amount even if you don't kill them. and infected is all about weakening them thru the map so they can't finish it.

QFT. Especially as hunter. you're useless to your team as a hunter if you waste your spawn jumping into the middle of a group

Valve was even kind enough to show you when they are stupidly far away from their team (colors them purple)

Tcp-Kill
20 Nov 2008, 12:47pm
thanks toxin

PotshotPolka
20 Nov 2008, 02:53pm
Don't play with pubbers, they either don't talk, shoot you in the back, run out way ahead of everybody, or leave two minutes into the round, like playing with three Tinkerbells.

And in reality, all you need to win on expert, besides precision aim, good intuition, and lightning reflexes is high ground or an obstacle or counter.

Also, I wish we could drag downed players, it makes for a bitch trying to heal them where they fall, and when you're downed with a tank nearby you might as well prepare to become one with the asphalt.

Yamato
20 Nov 2008, 03:37pm
And in reality, all you need to win on expert, besides precision aim, good intuition, and lightning reflexes is high ground or an obstacle or counter.

Realiable Teammates.
If was already on top of the hospital, told a guy who I played with for 2 hours and really trusted to watch my back while I get the radio. He turn's around, throws a molotov to my feet and then shoots me. I was about to freak out.

Wraith
21 Nov 2008, 11:49am
More infected tactics:

If a smoker has a person. Don't be one of those hunters to pounce on him since it pretty much wasted the smokers attack and it has to recharge, it would be a better idea to go pounce the first person who came to save him as it will cause more damage overall.

As a boomer if your having trouble surprising a survivor and unable to spit or blow up on them, stick with a smoker who you can rely on and he can pull a survivor to you.

On another note as a boomer. if you are with 2 hunters that are already on 2 straglers don't stand there with them because when and if the other two come your most likely to get blown up instead of getting the other 2 and you also blow up knocking your two hunter teamates off their victims and letting the smoker victim go too if he is around.

SOLANUM
21 Nov 2008, 12:35pm
If you miss puking on the survivors as the boomer, dont run away.

If you can, run run into them, chances are one of them will panic and shoot you.

I've covered all of them before this way.

Jaffa
22 Nov 2008, 08:30am
Was playing with Edo, zero and jazzman last night on the 2nd part of dead air (where you cross the rooftops).

We kept losing, must of tried about 10-11 times, eventually i managed to complete it myslef when they had all left (got into safe room on 1 hp after abandoning my teammates wo were fighting the 2nd tank we encountered...)

Generally there were two parts we struggled on, the set piece and the tank, so i figured i'd post up here what i learnt.

Firstly, move through the level uickly, it reduces the amount of zombies and special zombies you face, especially near the end, where there are lots of rooms to explore (there its best to just shut the doors and move on)

For the set piece:

use the red petrol cans to create a fire wall around the fence, it kills nearly all the zombies

there is a smoker, who usually hides in the apartment you came from, which makes him very hard to spot/shoot. Its best to have one guy always aiming at the windows to kill him before he lassos someone

The Tank:

He nearly always spawns at the end of the rooftop part. If he spawns before the roofs or after, good luck there!

If he spawns at the end of the roofs, fall back onto the 2nd to last roof, dodge the pavement he throws, and when he goes for you he nearly always falls off the roof, where you can shoot him from above. He can climb back up, so beware!

PotshotPolka
22 Nov 2008, 08:33am
When playing versus as either side: ZERG THEM. HARD. Last night Raven, Psyche, Kingswat and I kicked the living shit out of the other team so badly the handicap on us only allowed two bosses to spawn at a time. But for the sake of preserving our own asses I'm keeping our strategy to ourselves.

juku
22 Nov 2008, 08:51am
Lol all I can say is go for the distance in versus mode.:laugh: Also in time most strategies will be known anyway.

Slavic
22 Nov 2008, 12:04pm
When playing versus as either side: ZERG THEM. HARD. Last night Raven, Psyche, Kingswat and I kicked the living shit out of the other team so badly the handicap on us only allowed two bosses to spawn at a time. But for the sake of preserving our own asses I'm keeping our strategy to ourselves.

Agreed. On versus, regular infected tend to be very weak. Best thing to do is when you kill either 3-4 of the bosses, to just run your asses off not stopping for regular infected. You can just shoot them on the go. You can usually make good ground before the next boss spawn.

Psyche
22 Nov 2008, 02:18pm
Tips? AIM FOR THE FACE. But in all seriousness, going behind doors with holes in them with smoker gives you more time to give damage to survivors. Also another quick tactic for the hunter is, if they are all close together, aim for the middle guy, its better then getting the guys in front or end because they when you get them they just shoot you off while if you attack a teammate close to other teamates the kickback to the other survivors gives you a few extra hits.

Henrik
23 Nov 2008, 03:43am
i found out

if you are a hunter and attack jump in a witch you will disturb her first she will attack and kill you and after she will attack humans if they are near

Prozak
23 Nov 2008, 08:03am
Tips i found out never run out of the pack or if u get hit by a hunter your screwed.

Smallsasaurus
23 Nov 2008, 10:43am
The real advantage to the boomer that some people don't realize is that when you cover somebody in slime, they don't get the colorful outline alerts around their friends who are constricted by either a smoker or a hunter. So a good trick is to try and cover 2-3 people in slime and then use a smoker or hunter to tackle the last one or two while the others panic and can't see what's going on. Unless the humans use really good communication on mic they people who got boomer all over them won't react for a good 7-8 seconds, which is a lot of time to dish out some damage.

As the humans in versus mode, the trick is too stay together, close doors and move fast. Like really, really fast. It gives the people playing as zombies a lot less time to set up and coordinate their attacks and then they are a lot more likely to spawn in bad places and by themselves. If you can keep moving fast and only stop at strategic defense points, it makes the game so much easier. It also helps get your average distance score up.

Saxe
30 Nov 2008, 05:00am
http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Left-4-Dead-for-Dummies-Surviving-the-Zombie-Apocalypse

Gives a great set of tactics for both humans and infected. A must-read :)

Repeat
30 Nov 2008, 08:45am
Whenever a Boomer squirts me with his juice, like most have said, I run to a small room. Then, I spam the melee button just in case any of those zombies get to me that I can't see. Whack 'em off you! Yep. Whack 'em off.

SpEeD
30 Nov 2008, 04:38pm
If youre ever playing SpEeD, just give up, hes too good and you have no chance.

P.S. I (speed) doesnt have the game.

I hope this tip will help you.

TwistedKiller
2 Dec 2008, 01:59pm
I already knew all of your tips, but thanks for taking the time to write them. :)

Lux
4 Dec 2008, 05:13am
I am yet to finish the Finale of No Mercy, and I want to do it on advanced/expert ;/

Jaffa
4 Dec 2008, 08:08am
done it on advanced :) even managed to get the survivors take no dmg from tank award along with it :)

my advice is: don't fall off the pipes/buildings, and watch out for smokers more than anything!

Wraith
4 Dec 2008, 02:45pm
On No Mercy

There is strategy where you camp the stair case. 2 on the bottom and 2 at the top. make sure no one is in the doorway so they don't get pulled out. one pushes and one shoots at both top and bottom and you can switch according to ammo. Run out when tank comes and light him on fire. If its expert, just run from him for 40 seconds and he dies. You can shoot the gravel that he throws at you and break it before it hits you if you were wondering.

On Blood Harvest

To the right of the escape house, if leaving it, is a barn. It has an ammo supply on the second floor by some hay. Basically get all four survivors along the wall with the ammo and push and shoot according to where they are. There should also be molotovs and/or pipe bombs on a table on the second floor of barn. use those against the tank. one you kill second tank. stand right outside of the barn as thats where the rescue vehicle arrives at.

PotshotPolka
5 Dec 2008, 06:04am
On No Mercy, just get to the top of the building, and drop down onto a very narrow ledge of piping along the back, and you will be safe no matter what. If you can't make it there, jump across to one of the box-like structures in each corner of the roof, they're easyier to defend.

juku
5 Dec 2008, 06:39am
On No Mercy, just get to the top of the building, and drop down onto a very narrow ledge of piping along the back, and you will be safe no matter what. If you can't make it there, jump across to one of the box-like structures in each corner of the roof, they're easyier to defend.

Or you could just walk on the side of the building to get to the ledge. It is safe almost from any horde. Though the thing on the ledge strategy is try to:

Stay on the left as possible because of the boomer explosion which would knock you off the ledge.

Be quick to melee when your teammate on your side is hit by a hunter as soon as possible to avoid damage done to them

Last is to have two people with pipe bombs saved until the second tank dies to stall the horde on the way till the helicoptor comes.

Also having two molotovs would speed things up killing the tanks and the surrounding horde much faster.

Ps: This strategy only works on a fifty/fifty chance as there are times the tank can climb up.