PDA

View Full Version : Official Medal of Honor (MOH) series thread

LegalSmash
14 Nov 2008, 10:27am
Considering how much we love FPS games here, I thought it odd that we did not have a thread to what was probably the first FPS I ever played, the PS1 Medal of Honor game. The game turned into a series, which has been going on for twice as long as the second world war went on for.

This thread should encompass ALL the games, from the great ones to the true abominations of the series.

I'll state my opinions of the ones I've played briefly:

MOH (PS1): I LOVE this game, still have it, and play it on PS3, the original game in the series in my opinion was ground breaking, being the first true WW2 shooter that strived for historical accuracy and managed to put the character's storyline as a believable part of the WW2 timeline. Weapons were authentic looking and sounding (A real treat for PS1 era games), the troopers has generally correct uniforms, and the game locations chosen for play were actually fun places to fight.

MOH: U (PS1): I liked this game, where you played as a french resistance fighter against the Nazi war machine. This game took everything from the first and basically did it again, with new skins, weapons, and locations. For what it was, basically a cash cow sequel, I thought it was worth the 20 I paid my senior year in high school for it. This game had a pretty decent Multiplayer for a

MOH: AA PC This, to me was the most enjoyable of the entire series, and the best made. Its expansion, spearhead was every bit as good. This is the first time the normandy level was introduced in the MOH series, and I think it was well done for its time. This game also broke the norm of the game series in that it had levels in the African theater as opposed to simply the European theater.

MOH:F (PS2) This was pretty much a baby version of AA, and was not bad for the PS2's first MOH game. It looked very nice for its time, but this is where I felt that the MOH series started to suffer. Hit detection was almost nonexistentant, and at a distance, without a sniper rifle, it may take 3-5 shots to take down one nazi. This, coupled with some very "bonzai charge" AI made the game fun for a run and gun, but left me wanting as to actual shooter strategy. I bought this and really enjoyed the game. I was pissed however, that there was no multiplayer support whatsoever.

MOH Pacific Assault & Rising Sun (PS2 and PC) I put these two in the same category, because they are essentially the same steaming pile of crap. This is what happens when EA is allowed to go do something without the orig developers to a game. Dreamworks interactive and Dale Dye had a hand in every other game except these two I think. EA basically tried to cash in on the less known, more brutal, but less video game friendly side of WW2... At this rate, they may as well have made an Italy Campaign game, where we can all walk up shitty streets and shoot at surrendering Eye-Ties.

MOH: Euro Assault: I played this on anesthetic after getting out two wisdom teeth, it could not even be helped by prescribed opiates. That is how bad this game is. It was a rental thankfully.

MOH: Airborne: This game was not as horrible as people make it out to be only because I got it for 10 dollars. If I would have paid anything over that I feel my opinion would be vastly different. Its cliche MOH gameplay, run, shoot, throw grenade, eat pie.

There you have it.

Did anyone play Vanguard, or the PSP game or anything else re: MOH?

Discuss MOH now!

Frostbyte
14 Nov 2008, 01:15pm
I played the first medal of honor, awesome, I have frontline, meh, and Airborne is mediocre, the parachute mechanic is cool tho.

andre1028
14 Nov 2008, 01:53pm
I remember playing the first Medal of Honor. I always got lost for some reason.

LitKey
14 Nov 2008, 02:02pm
You gotta be bored as hell, legal..

LegalSmash
14 Nov 2008, 03:15pm
You gotta be bored as hell, legal..

It was either write a bloggish thing about that or watch the news. This one was less depressing.

How can you NOT like the game?

Modgers1
16 Nov 2008, 09:07pm
I LOVE Medal of Honor:Allied Assault, and have been in three clans for it. I still have it installed, and would love to play it anytime.

And BTW, I bought Euro Assault when I had a Ps2. Bitch...

-Modgers

Robfal
16 Nov 2008, 09:33pm
For some reason i have very vivid memories of MoH: Frontline. I was doing that sneaking mission "The Golden Lion" where you dress up as a butler or something. I also remember eating brownies and drinking sprite as I was doing this lol.

Chêvouÿx
17 Nov 2008, 05:49am
I bought MoH:Airborne when it first came out; it was like $30-$50, I can't remember.

It had potential to be honest, and at the beginning, people seemed decently interested into fixing the majority of the bugs (makes me wonder if the developers even beta-tested the game ffs).

After awhile, though, because the MP was and had been such shit and EA seemed to not care enough, people started to give up and just quit. That's where the game fell down hill...

I will say this: Despite the game's poor historical accuracy, (huge super Nazis wielding MG42's and being able to take 4 headshots before dying) a decent amont of bugs, the lack of care and motivation from the developers to improve their game more often then they were, and other game mechanics, it was an okay game. I still have it (though uninstalled).

Like I said, I think it had potential... but either not enough people cared or moitvation was just at a loss or both. All I'm saying is that if EA had listened to the players, it would've really cool to parachute into a giant, epic battlefield and try to overcome actual challenging AI or even other players under good MP aspects such as connection, etc.

Just my two cents :001_smile: