PDA

View Full Version : L4D Demo

PotshotPolka
6 Nov 2008, 07:59pm
Needs to die in a fire, I hope all the errors we've been having tonight can be chalked up to an overflow of resources, and perhaps some bugs caused by removing game files to make the demo... but still, it was pretty cool when you actually managed to keep a game up for more than five minutes.

Crimson
6 Nov 2008, 08:45pm
What's wrong with the demo? Besides the shitty game search

Red
6 Nov 2008, 08:54pm
Okay after spending 30 min trying to play ONE game that doesn't crash after 4 minutes I've given up.

And the server join system is retarded as fuck.

andre1028
7 Nov 2008, 05:16am
I just hope they scratch the whole matchmaking system and keep a server browsing list like the old days. It's really simple but effective and useful.

VirDeBello
7 Nov 2008, 06:58am
For some odd reason when I downloaded a patch last night.....everytime I reach the safe point and start heading out........I lag......So I thought hell maybe its because I am wireless, let me go downstairs and connect directly to the router and see if that helps....nothing...:angry:.....any ideas?

PotshotPolka
7 Nov 2008, 07:19am
You can view servers the normal way by typing openserverbrowser in console, if I remember correctly, only works though if there is already someone in the server though.

Wrathek
7 Nov 2008, 08:32am
how were you guys playing? i've played over 3 hours no troubles at all.

haven't bothered with the server search yet.. just quick played so far.

Paul
7 Nov 2008, 08:33am
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744310

A thread on steam about the matchmaking function.

Wraith
7 Nov 2008, 08:54am
This game is freaking awesome. My friends and I played on a dedicated server for like 6 hours with very little lag to non at all. And damn i couldn't keep myself away. I can't wait for the real thing.

PotshotPolka
7 Nov 2008, 01:54pm
I don't know if you've tried this Litkey or Astrum, but supposedly this can remedy the "cannot connect via connect ip command"

Originally Posted by Jason Ruymen (VALVe)
In addition to those, we've also added some early features to help enable "private" servers. There are two ways to enable this:

Set a sv_search_key to a unique string on the server
Do the same on each client that will want to connect
Start a map on the server
Searches for games should be restricted to only finding servers with that search key

Or

Set sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0
Set sv_password to a non-empty string
Start a map on the server
Tell the client the IP address of the server
Client uses console to "connect <ip>" just like the good old days
Should result in password prompt during connect to server

These features are still a work in progress.

LVG
7 Nov 2008, 03:58pm
Today I've had no problems at all with lagg or anything only problem was obez being epic shit as usual but matchmaking needs to DIAF were not playing bloody xbox or ps3 who wants to buy a server they can't use its ridiculous

Astrum
7 Nov 2008, 08:58pm
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744310

A thread on steam about the matchmaking function.

There was early warning to this. I knew I should keep up with the HLDS mailing list, heh.

http://www.left4dead411.com/news/2008/11/whoa-whoa-server/

My prediction? Given how they handled TF2 and the max players with their new tagging system we're most likely not going to get anything fixed. ValvE seems to be under the impression that they're so important that there must be a law in every country demanding every citizen to run a dedicated server for ValvE games upon release.

In reality they're alienating server operators. What's the point in running a dedicated server which costs a good chunk of change when you're probably going to end up playing on someone's personal server in their mothers basement running off of 56K. I know you get a banner that displays on your server, but what's the point? Four random people join your awesome server, maybe even have a good experience, but because of the match-making system they'll never join it again.

Demo review on the way.

Crimson
7 Nov 2008, 10:00pm
Demo review on the way.

Can't wait for it Astrum!

Psyche
7 Nov 2008, 10:17pm
Its the second day, they will probably have everything sorted out by the inital release of the demo and by release of the full game.

Paul
8 Nov 2008, 12:00pm
Its the second day, they will probably have everything sorted out by the inital release of the demo and by release of the full game.

Hope they add the server browser tab to the main menu, otherwise it may take the shine off the game.

Wraith
8 Nov 2008, 12:43pm
you can open the server browser by typing "openserverbrowser" in console..

Paul
8 Nov 2008, 12:56pm
you can open the server browser by typing "openserverbrowser" in console..

Ye, litkey told most of us about that. What I mean is, get rid of the matchmaking bullshit and go with the standard server browser. Why change something that does the job.

PotshotPolka
8 Nov 2008, 02:14pm
Ye, litkey told most of us about that. What I mean is, get rid of the matchmaking bullshit and go with the standard server browser. Why change something that does the job.

Come on guys give it a chance! And if you don't like it, it'll amended in a few months anyways :laugh:
http://obama.3cdn.net/f213ac2569059fac11_frzvmvqba.JPG

...sorry, still being a basterd about it :closedeyes:.