PDA

View Full Version : Bloom or HDR?

GrayFox
27 Oct 2008, 08:19pm
Which is better? I can't decide on what to use for Oblivion. HDR and Bloom are both viable options for me.

Also, what is anti-analising? It says I can't turn it on with HDR, so what does it do?

andre1028
27 Oct 2008, 08:32pm
when anti-analising is applied you can see the textures/pixels in the far smoothed out. When it is off the things in the distance appear to be sqaures. Enabling it is a major fps killer but it is also rewarding with a better look of the game.

GOD
27 Oct 2008, 08:57pm
when anti-analising is applied you can see the textures/pixels in the far smoothed out. When it is off the things in the distance appear to be sqaures. Enabling it is a major fps killer but it is also rewarding with a better look of the game.

semi-correct its not only for far away textures. it smooths out all the edges to look less jagged, it becomes increasingly unneccisary as the resolution is turned up. so if you have a 1900x1280 monitor, you wont really need aa, but if you have a low res then you will

if you want more info on aa look at this article

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2136956,00.asp

bloom is basically fake hdr. bloom only uses a part of the hdr code, so its more real than having nothing, but not as real as hdr.

here is a good article showing the differences IN OBLIVION of hdr and bloom

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_7.html

also, depending on what video card you have you CAN enable BOTH hdr and aa because, at the time oblivion was released not all cards could do both hdr and aa but now they can. so if you tell me your video card i could tell you if it works with both hdr and aa

hopefully this will help you

-god

GrayFox
28 Oct 2008, 05:13am
GeForce 8800. So would you rather Bloom and anti analising rather than HDR?

GOD
28 Oct 2008, 04:04pm
GeForce 8800. So would you rather Bloom and anti analising rather than HDR?

you need to put HDR on in the game, and turn AA on in your driver settings, not the game.

:-)

i would do hdr and aa

(thank me if you found the info helpfull :-p )

Pancake Batter
28 Oct 2008, 06:20pm
I don't really like hdr in Oblivion, makes everything unbearably shiny indoors, though it looks great outdoors.