PDA

View Full Version : Windows/ubuntu

Nishok
27 Oct 2008, 06:01pm
I have a question:

Is there a way to install both windows and ubuntu on 1 computer? (normally yes)

but my main question is:

is there a way like: if you are logged on into windows to switch immediately to ubuntu instead of restarting PC and then choose start as ubuntu?

thx for your help.

greetz nishok

Veggie
27 Oct 2008, 06:18pm
Yes with Wubi, just insert the cd and Ubutnu wizard will pop up. It will use a folder on your hard drive to load ubuntu. Note Ubuntu will run slower than if you did a regular install. To uninstall ubuntu just remove from add/remove programs.. New version of ubuntu is out in a few days.

Zero001
27 Oct 2008, 06:20pm
You can have multiple operating systems on a computer, but as far as I know you can only switch between them on a restart.

tinkerbell
27 Oct 2008, 06:33pm
Yes with Wubi, just insert the cd and Ubutnu wizard will pop up. It will use a folder on your hard drive to load ubuntu. Note Ubuntu will run slower than if you did a regular install. To uninstall ubuntu just remove from add/remove programs.. New version of ubuntu is out in a few days.

the reason it runs slower is that windows IS STILL your OS, wubi is an emulator, so uses proccessing power to run both windows and ubuntu.

but the best way of having duel boot, is either having a partition on a hard drive, or get 2 hard drives and install windows on one of them and ubuntu on the other. they will run faster that way.

the only reason you would consider Wubi is if you want a secure browsing environment, if you want to do this just let me know and i will direct u how to do it

you can get an emulator for macs that can run any windows applictions for example, CSS

Nishok
27 Oct 2008, 06:46pm
you can get an emulator for macs that can run any windows applictions for example, CSS

orly? so EVERY .exe files (applications) if so can i have the download link plz?

thx for the responds!

tinkerbell
27 Oct 2008, 07:02pm
orly? so EVERY .exe files (applications) if so can i have the download link plz?

thx for the responds!

u have a mac??

the emulator program for the mac costs a bit, forgot how much though but can find out

link for some FAQ ishttp://www.macworld.com/article/50374/2006/04/winmacfaq.html

but heres the program cost $79.99http://www.parallels.com/en/landingpage/dskd10_4/?gclid=CN3X54zeyJYCFQOx1AodqkvEzA

Itch
27 Oct 2008, 10:43pm
VMWare is another alternative.. It allows you to run Virtual hosts. We use it alot for servers that are under-utilized. Allowing us to run multiple servers/OS's on the same box. However you will run into performance issues if you are trying to run an emulated/virtual environment on your home PC. I would recommend doing a standard Dual boot for that type scenario.

tinkerbell
28 Oct 2008, 10:28am
like it says, but it all depends on the purpose you want two OS's

Nishok
28 Oct 2008, 04:40pm
Tinkerbell i tried that program and its only for
MACOSX not for Ubuntu... :(

and how do you install compiz-fusion on it??? the instalions are... weird i only understand 1/100 of it..

thx

tinkerbell
28 Oct 2008, 05:45pm
Tinkerbell i tried that program and its only for
MACOSX not for Ubuntu... :(

and how do you install compiz-fusion on it??? the instalions are... weird i only understand 1/100 of it..

thx

yeah, that program was for macs, i did ask u have u a mac, please give details on what operating system u are using atm and for what purpose u want dual boot?

try this forum topic and see if it help cos i dont know what u want to do??

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/misc/21671-linux-emulator-windows.html

Nishok
28 Oct 2008, 06:46pm
I have vista home premium (32bit) and i want to use Compiz Fusion on it..

but i reeded that it is only for ubuntu so i wanted to switch to it but you cant use .exe files in ubuntu..

so i'm searching for a way to use Compiz Fusion on Windows vista (or using .exe files on ubuntu if first option is impossible)

Nishok
28 Oct 2008, 07:26pm
*double post*

tinkerbell
28 Oct 2008, 08:41pm
right, so u want ubuntu as your primary OS and vista to run ON-TOP ( i.e. run vista as an exe in ubuntu). but i dont understand why you want to do this, can you please explain the purpose you want to do this?

edit: right ive seen what u want to use it for and i can tell you that will not work. have one OS environment running in another. you will encounter extremely poor performance, the best solution is to dual boot, partition your hard drive. your will only need 10-20GB and if you have more than one HDD use that as your file store. that way you can play all your media through both OS's.

in my opinion thats your option

Nishok
29 Oct 2008, 06:55am
ok thx for your info.