PDA

View Full Version : G1

Suri
22 Oct 2008, 06:34pm
The G1 just came out today and I LOVE IT!!!!
http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/overview.html

It is the first phone to use Googles Android software, and it is really solid. Yes I have never owned a iPhone, but I do have a Ipod touch. And I think this phone is better then the iPhone. Yes the itunes store is a nice touch to the iPhone, But the G1 has it's own version with amazon. And Android is open source and there will be better software for the Google phones then what the iPhone could ever have.

So if you are on T-Mobile and get lucky to find any left I would go out and get it.

http://www.htc.com/assets/0/16/26/5780/1bdea4df-cdf5-455a-a782-2027b1ba3028.jpg

Itch
22 Oct 2008, 07:19pm
They sent us a demo at work (most vendors will for large state contracts, etc.)
It does seem to be pretty solid at this point.. I still need to find out if I can do the one thing that I could with a Windows CE based phone that I could not with an iPhone..

And that is teather the bluetooth to my laptop and use the phone for my internet connection. (yes iPhone can't do that)

GOD
22 Oct 2008, 07:21pm
well not to rain on your parade, but the phone has some serious down sides.

tmobiles 3g coverage area is tiny so your internet will be edge (which isnt too fast), and in the areas that there is 3g, its still slow.

also, g1 isnt multi touch, the camera is fuzzy and takes a long time to focus. another huge downside imo, is that it uses micro sd cards. so to use it for music you have to invest even more money. :thumbdown:

though overall if you want a good internet phone on t-mobile the g1 is great. its not perfect but it is great

ohh and about your comment about the itunes store... the g1 has it :-p and im 100% sure the g1 will have better apps because the android is an open platform for developers so you dont have that stupid sdk fee apple has nor do you have that nda you have to sign.

:-)

GOD
22 Oct 2008, 07:23pm
They sent us a demo at work (most vendors will for large state contracts, etc.)
It does seem to be pretty solid at this point.. I still need to find out if I can do the one thing that I could with a Windows CE based phone that I could not with an iPhone..

And that is teather the bluetooth to my laptop and use the phone for my internet connection. (yes iPhone can't do that)

g1 cant do that either. acourding to several reviews i read.

" You can't use this phone as a modem for your PC, at least not yet."

as quoted from pc magazine.

:-/ it might get an update but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Suri
23 Oct 2008, 11:31am
ohh and about your comment about the itunes store... the g1 has it :-p and im 100% sure the g1 will have better apps because the android is an open platform for developers so you dont have that stupid sdk fee apple has nor do you have that nda you have to sign.

I have seen no app for itunes store. Only Amazon MP3 like i stated in my first post.

I showed a picture to some one that ownes the iPhone 2.0 and they said the pic quality was better on the G1. Also I am in a city that has the 3G and I think it works fine. And it's fast.

But I would like to hear what you have to say about this itunes store on the G1.

GOD
24 Oct 2008, 07:21am
I have seen no app for itunes store. Only Amazon MP3 like i stated in my first post.

I showed a picture to some one that ownes the iPhone 2.0 and they said the pic quality was better on the G1. Also I am in a city that has the 3G and I think it works fine. And it's fast.

But I would like to hear what you have to say about this itunes store on the G1.

http://gizmodo.com/394208/android-will-have-an-app-store-like-the-iphone

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/10/handango_the_fi.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_techbeat

its fast, but not as fast as an iphone, picture quality cant really say if its better or not.

Suri
24 Oct 2008, 07:58am
Yeah but I already said there was a marketplace. I have already used it.

But I thought you said the iTunes store was going to be made for the G1.

GOD
24 Oct 2008, 09:54am
Yeah but I already said there was a marketplace. I have already used it.

But I thought you said the iTunes store was going to be made for the G1.

i thought u meant app store when you said itunes store lol.

Itch
24 Oct 2008, 09:56am
Unfortunately work opted to go with AT&T so I guess I'll end up with an iPhone.. That is once I talk them into paying for it.

I would prefer the G1 just because it's less of apples proprietary shite.

Suri
24 Oct 2008, 11:04am
Unfortunately work opted to go with AT&T so I guess I'll end up with an iPhone.. That is once I talk them into paying for it.

I would prefer the G1 just because it's less of apples proprietary shite.

The iPhone is still a great phone though. It is just not as great as the G1:)

[Strike]
24 Oct 2008, 11:51am
how much does the phone cost?:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Modgers1
24 Oct 2008, 02:55pm
Nice!!! I've got T-Mobile and I definitely plan on getting one of these soon. What a sweet phone.

-Modgers

Suri
24 Oct 2008, 03:02pm
Here is the selling point for me. Yes people did not like the idea of having to create a gmail account to use the phone. BUT it is very worth it.

I created a new event in the calander in my gmail account on the computer today and it updated my phone right away with the event. I did not have to sync my phone at all. You can't do that with the iPhone.

GOD
24 Oct 2008, 03:10pm
Here is the selling point for me. Yes people did not like the idea of having to create a gmail account to use the phone. BUT it is very worth it.

I created a new event in the calander in my gmail account on the computer today and it updated my phone right away with the event. I did not have to sync my phone at all. You can't do that with the iPhone.

you can. sorry, but iphone has fetch :-p

im not trying to rain on the g1, its a good phone but it is not "better" than the iphone. every one has their own needs and the g1's only real feature compared to the iphone is the keyboard. everything else its the same basically.

Suri
24 Oct 2008, 03:32pm
you can. sorry, but iphone has fetch :-p

im not trying to rain on the g1, its a good phone but it is not "better" than the iphone. every one has their own needs and the g1's only real feature compared to the iphone is the keyboard. everything else its the same basically.

That is so not true. The G1 is open source and the iPhone is not.

GOD
27 Oct 2008, 05:33pm
That is so not true. The G1 is open source and the iPhone is not.

true, the iphone isnt open source but it is so hacked that it is basically open. you can write any program for it basically.

Itch
27 Oct 2008, 10:53pm
Try forwarding a text message w/the iPhone..

For some reason unknown to free thinkers everywhere.. this is not an option on the iPhone..

WTF?

(You can forward and e-mail but not a text message)