PDA

View Full Version : I want to overclock.

Daze
10 Oct 2008, 01:49pm
Sup

recently bought some mega CPU heatsink cooler, thought it would be safe enough at a nice tempereture to do some overclocking on my system.

only thing is, i don't really know how...

some basic info:

CPU: E4300 Dual Core2 1.8 Ghz
RAM: 3GB DDR2
HDD: 320 GB
GC: 8500 GT 512 MB

system tempreture:

CPU: 30 °C (86 °F)
HDD: 36 °C (97 °F)

anyone care to help me out? point me in the right direction..

thanks

andre1028
10 Oct 2008, 02:04pm
Head up, this is all coming from a newb overclocker. You can use google as an alternative.

Well you can use the original overclocking app available at http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.02.html. Just make sure you monitor the temperature. and it doesn't get too hot. Or you can use Riva Tuner as an alternative.

To overclock it you just have to find the settings for your gpu when you are using one of the apps and edit them, preferrably make them higher. J
ust make sure that the Core Clock and the Memory Clock does not go higher than the Shader Clock. And make sure that the Memory Clock does not go higher than the Core Clock.

The only problem with overclocking a gpu like that is that it will frequently crash a lot more than usual. I've had first had experience with my 8600GT with it black screening if things get too hectic.

BTW here's a ss of my overclock app.http://s4.tinypic.com/amw8ko.jpg

Daze
10 Oct 2008, 02:10pm
nice, thanks..i tried that river bs and it seemed really confusing so i closed the program, but I'll give this a go.

what's the highest i should let the tempreture get?

i would also like to OC my CPU aswell as my Graphics card, so if anyones got help with that it would be appreciated.

thanks

EDIT: OC'd Core to 600 and Memory to 500 but theres no shader?

going to monitor the temp..

andre1028
10 Oct 2008, 02:30pm
I try not to get the temp 10 °C higher than the original just to play safe. I've never used a 8500 though so I'm not sure how much it can take before bursting into flames.

Daze
10 Oct 2008, 02:46pm
was thinking of getting a 9800 GTX+ but idk if newegg sends to the UK?

andre1028
10 Oct 2008, 03:32pm
was thinking of getting a 9800 GTX+ but idk if newegg sends to the UK?

Well you need a good power supply for it. I think minimum 600w. And I'm sure you can find those in a local computer shop.

sUBzERo
10 Oct 2008, 03:47pm
Before over clocking, make sure your motherboard can take it....or you could destroy it.

Serlant
10 Oct 2008, 04:04pm
Before over clocking, make sure your motherboard can take it....or you could destroy it.

pffft i've got a cheapy asus P5LD2 and i'm running a E6300 1.86ghz at 425fsb for 3ghz and 1700fsb...

For overclocking the cpu there are several things you wanna be cautious of, one is cpu voltage, setting that too high can destroy your processor, memory speed is number two, its good to set this as low as possible for the purposes of trying to find the max overclock you can manage out of the processor (you can loosen the timings aswell)

so when you start overclocking you're going to want to set the memory speed as low as possible, then loosen the timings, take the cpu voltage off automatic and put it at the STOCK voltage for the cpu(find it out beforehand) turn off intel speedstep and any automatic idle controls etc.

Then I normally start with just adjusting the cpu fsb up until it won't boot, so I start at stock(266?) and i'd go to say 290 and reboot if it boots up hit the bios again and got to maybe 310 reboot if it boots do the same and repeat until you restart and it doesnt post(black screen text not appearing like usual) at this point I back it down maybe 10mhz and try to post again if it posts try going up 5mhz if it doesnt try going down another 10, and just fine tune it like that.

then set it back to stock and give us what ya get :001_tt2:

edit: no newegg doesn't ship to the uk

Daze
10 Oct 2008, 04:39pm
what program would i use to set the voltage/fsb? or would i be doing this using the BIOS?

another thing, if i up it so much that it wont boot, how would i be able to actually change it if it wont boot?

andre1028
10 Oct 2008, 04:42pm
Well I think you can do that through BIOS or some freeware app.

If your pc won't boot it's probably cause you've just killed it.

Serlant
10 Oct 2008, 08:32pm
Well I think you can do that through BIOS or some freeware app.

If your pc won't boot it's probably cause you've just killed it.

not necessarily when i push mine over 3ghz to like 3.05 at nearl 430 fsb, if its a warm day and I reboot the pc after its been on a while, it'll sit on a black screen till I restart it a second time.

And yes, you're going to be using the bios for most of the cpu side of things, and when it doesnt post, you can reset the cmos (resets everything in bios back to stock and you have to set it all agian) unless it has some sort of recovery mode like mine where if you set the value to high and it doesn't boot the first time, when I reboot it the second time it boots with the stock settings, but leaves everything in the bios at my overclock(so it boots at 1.86ghz and the bios still says like 3ghz)

I know my old asrock 939 dual sata2(excellent board for £35 (can't complain at quad monitors with a 5600fx and a 7900gs(one agp one pci-e))) I just had to reboot it 3 times and the overclock would be back to stock.

Zero001
11 Oct 2008, 07:41am
What motherboard do you have?
What's the rating on your RAM?

Basically just go into your BIOS:
- disable speed step
- use your highest rated multiplier (I think it's x9 on the e4300)
- raise the FSB to match your RAM speed at a 1:1 ratio
or just use 333MHz to be safe.

Don't use the NVIDIA control panel.

AppleShark
12 Oct 2008, 05:13am
With regard to graphics card temps, I know my 4870x2 got to 88°C on load with stock fan settings. Seemed pretty hot to me so I changed the .xml but the card wasn't damaged or anything so I'm guessing they have quite a high tolerance. (It's now around 45°C on load btw)

Serlant
12 Oct 2008, 09:17pm
i caught my 8800gt at 95 degrees playing stalker clear sky today, needless to say i cleaned the heatsink, barely gets over 60c now, and yeah, graphics cards seem to tolerate heat alot better than cpu's the only reason i noticed was because my fps dropped.

Daze
13 Oct 2008, 06:15am
wow, that must have nearly fried the card?!?!

just bought a 9800GTX+ & 2x 80mm fans with molex connectors as i've run out of 3pin connecters on my motherboard.

shall be interesting to see the tempreture!

andre1028
13 Oct 2008, 07:02am
Seemed pretty hot to me so I changed the .xml but the card wasn't damaged or anything so I'm guessing they have quite a high tolerance.

Yeah, a lot of ATI's gpu's are built to last. But I switched to NVIDIA's side because they've been losing the GPU war for a while.

Daze
14 Oct 2008, 12:22pm
can you believe this, i get my 9800GTX+ today, heard some really loud beeping after i installed it and realised i had to connect it with 2 seperate 6pin pci-e connectors which they did NOT supply.

I'm like wtf! now i have to buy something else!

Zero001
14 Oct 2008, 12:41pm
can you believe this, i get my 9800GTX+ today, heard some really loud beeping after i installed it and realised i had to connect it with 2 seperate 6pin pci-e connectors which they did NOT supply.

I'm like wtf! now i have to buy something else!
How is that their fault? It's been a requirement for many high powered cards for several years now. Your power supply should have come equipped with the extra 6 pin power connector, if not just purchase a cheap adapter. No need to replace the entire card.

Daze
14 Oct 2008, 12:59pm
:crying::crying: I had my heart set on trying it out tonight, I dont even have one of those 6pin pci-e connectors, so i just bought a new PSU with one and some more power, will buy an adapter so i can add the other one.

Daze
15 Oct 2008, 03:27am
so I get next day delivery for the new PSU, which i can confirm has arrived ;D along with 2x 80mm fans, some lights & a DVI-VGA adapter which i dont need as they supplied one with the graphics card.

all I need now is the adapter cable to change 2x 4pin molex to 1 6pin pci-e connector and I'm sorted!

GOD
22 Oct 2008, 04:08pm
ok, if you want to overclock you have to know the following

your motherboard chipset/manufacturer
what bios revision you have
standard core temperature and voltage
safe operating temperature of your cpu

assuming you know all that, overclocking is easy.

1- go into your bios and look at your cpu, increase the fsb by about 5mhz and check if it boots. keep repeating until it wont boot.
2- once it cant boot increase your vcore. (dont do anything over 1.5 unless you got some ln2 handy or a nice powerfull phase changer) slowly by .05 untill it boots (test if its stable once you get into windows)
3- repeat step 1
4- repeat step 2

the whole time keep a look out at temperatures and make sure your in safe operating temperature.

remember, the better cooling you have the better your overclock is. invest in a nice phase change, peltier or ln2 closed loop (or if your really hard core get a 22,000 psi and use solid nitrogen!)

if you need more help ask. but since you didnt provide motherboard or chipset or bios i couldnt give you more specific advice.

hope this helped.

GOD
22 Oct 2008, 04:08pm
ok, if you want to overclock you have to know the following

your motherboard chipset/manufacturer
what bios revision you have
standard core temperature and voltage
safe operating temperature of your cpu

assuming you know all that, overclocking is easy.

1- go into your bios and look at your cpu, increase the fsb by about 5mhz and check if it boots. keep repeating until it wont boot.
2- once it cant boot increase your vcore. (dont do anything over 1.5 unless you got some ln2 handy or a nice powerfull phase changer) slowly by .05 untill it boots (test if its stable once you get into windows)
3- repeat step 1
4- repeat step 2

the whole time keep a look out at temperatures and make sure your in safe operating temperature.

remember, the better cooling you have the better your overclock is. invest in a nice phase change, peltier or ln2 closed loop (or if your really hard core get a 22,000 psi and use solid nitrogen!)

if you need more help ask. but since you didnt provide motherboard or chipset or bios i couldnt give you more specific advice.

hope this helped.