PDA

View Full Version : Q9550 Underclocked?

AppleShark
5 Oct 2008, 02:34pm
Is this right???
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3876/quadclockcz0.jpg

(Or does the processor clock itself in relation to load?)

Cooki3Monsta
5 Oct 2008, 02:40pm
Its correct. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

AppleShark
5 Oct 2008, 02:44pm
Thanks Cookie but what does the Newegg page prove?

Dark Torcher
5 Oct 2008, 02:54pm
thats because you have a quad core
cpu-z can only run on 1 core at a time, so if you just run cpu-z normall, it will always run on core 1 (called core 0)
to be able to see all cores, create 4 shortcuts on ur desktop to cpuz, and then in each of their properties, add to the target line -core=0 (which means core 1), and -core=1 (which means core 2) and so on
but yes it is underclocked, though you could also disabled its extra core if you have no use for that speed, which brings the question of why you bought it in the first place

AppleShark
5 Oct 2008, 02:57pm
Well I haven't altered its default clock at all :001_huh: Any easy way to reset like changing my multiplier?

Zero001
5 Oct 2008, 03:12pm
You're all wrong. He has speed-step enabled that's why his multiplier is x 6.0

If your computer needs the power it'll up the multiplier to its normal level. It's just a feature meant to conserve energy. Run something like a virus scan and watch CPU-Z pick up. You can disable speed-step in your BIOS if you want, but it's not necessary. There's nothing wrong with your PC.

AppleShark
5 Oct 2008, 03:24pm
Wow, thanks Zero. I guess you learn something everyday.

Dark Torcher
5 Oct 2008, 09:33pm
i thought he meant if he had successfully underclocked, lol
is this the pc you were talking about building, since i would expect you to have already gone thru the bios and checked it all already

AppleShark
6 Oct 2008, 10:30am
Yes that's the PC I was building and I'm not messing around with clocks until I get my second RAM module back (faulty). I checked temps on everything and when they seemed fine I didn't feel the need to check the BIOS, though i did have a little look around.