PDA

View Full Version : Different languages

SpEeD
4 Oct 2008, 06:19pm
Are people allowed to talk in different languages. I don't really like when people do it but one of the admins was and he said it was fine.

Periodik
4 Oct 2008, 06:20pm
Well, i have spoke with the BO and the AO and they said they have no rules about that.

Sorry mate ;)

Paladin
4 Oct 2008, 06:22pm
It usually depends on which admins are online, but for the most part if I'm on I try to avoid it. Too many problems arise, usually involving people speaking in foreign languages and try to insult the admins or use racial slurs as best as they can. For example, the day I got in an argument with two admins about it, at the same time one person that was speaking spanish kept calling people "gringos"

SpEeD
4 Oct 2008, 06:25pm
Ya, that and i just think it gets annoying, there are servers for other languages so i dont understand why they dont go there.

Periodik
4 Oct 2008, 06:27pm
First Amendment: addresses the rights of freedom of religion (prohibiting Congressional establishment of a religion over another religion through Law and protecting the right to free exercise of religion), freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of petition.

Paladin
4 Oct 2008, 06:29pm
Said it once and said it again, First amendment being in play means we would have to remove restrictions on racism and make the people's ability to speak at an unlimited level as well as insult other players as much as possible. It is limited here though, because the point of the servers is to bring people in and let them enjoy a mature environment that doesn't involve being insulted at an abnormal rate that would be if we put them in another pub server.

SpEeD
4 Oct 2008, 06:31pm
First Amendment: addresses the rights of freedom of religion (prohibiting Congressional establishment of a religion over another religion through Law and protecting the right to free exercise of religion), freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of petition.

Amendments dont apply to games bud.

SpikedRocker
4 Oct 2008, 06:37pm
I see language issues being a problem in Prison break but anywhere else but you know as long as it doesn't sound like spam then they can speak whatever language they want.

barackobama
4 Oct 2008, 07:05pm
English is the first language in the world, 99.9% of people who play CS:S can write & speak English, if it's a American server, they should speak English if they want to speak something else like French, then they go to a [FR] server, stands for French speaking.

LitKey
4 Oct 2008, 07:14pm

Well, first of all, you're Canadian, so our bill of rights doesn't apply to you.

Second, I've told you before (because you tried making the same point last time) that we can restrict speech as we see fit in this community, as we can make our own rules here.

Third, while speaking in foreign language may be allowed at the moment, we will not allow someone to spam the server with French/Spanish/Russian/etc as this is a community primarily based in the USA where the official language is English.

Italian Jew
4 Oct 2008, 08:08pm
As long as it is not spam, they can go for it. However, I know some have tried to play PB and have someone say they do not speak or read english, so they don't know how to play. If this is the case, then they should be able to know enough to understand the rules and should not be exempt from them even though they don't know the language. Like Garfield said, they can go somewhere else if they cannot understand or play a game where they need to speak english.

GrayFox
5 Oct 2008, 10:20am
Haggard told me once that he wants people to speak english even if its talking to another person who speaks the same foreign language.

Maxwelldon
5 Oct 2008, 12:50pm
As much as I play on the servers, I tell people keep it in English talk since myself I don't like that whole lot of people come talk German, Spanish or French on the servers just to literally chat and annoy other people with it.
Since we all can talk in English, the community has global use of talking in English and we all communicate in English; I just see no point to annoy rest 8-30 people because 2-5 are talking in foreign language

Some random throws in foreign language are fine in my opinion but when it goes to plain chatting, it's annoying.

broncoty
5 Oct 2008, 01:34pm
As much as I play on the servers, I tell people keep it in English talk since myself I don't like that whole lot of people come talk German, Spanish or French on the servers just to literally chat and annoy other people with it.
Since we all can talk in English, the community has global use of talking in English and we all communicate in English; I just see no point to annoy rest 8-30 people because 2-5 are talking in foreign language

Some random throws in foreign language are fine in my opinion but when it goes to plain chatting, it's annoying.

I agree, depends on the situation.

Mikey
5 Oct 2008, 02:01pm
If I'm on, u can use different languages on text chat, but if u talk on the mic then i tell u to stop - u don't stop then i kick u - u come back and get a panic attack of some sort, i just ban u :)

Toxin
5 Oct 2008, 02:15pm
How about allowing only using foreign languages in the chat and restricting it to speak over mic if there are like 20+ online? I mean if 5 players are online, I don't care what language they speak but imagine the PB Server and then imagine a PB Server where four languages are spoken at once.

Periodik
6 Oct 2008, 08:27am
If they speak in foreign language and insult you and you dont understand, how can you get this insult hurting you ? You don't even understand.

Repus
6 Oct 2008, 09:02am
Speakng languages is ok for small talk on mic, like saying hi or giving little tips in game. But biglike chatting is better type.

Daze
6 Oct 2008, 09:19am
I would say that there should be some tolerance to foreign languages, especially when the EU servers were around.

sadly, their not anymore and as every server is now hosted in the US, we dont actually get many EU players anymore, which is a shame because we've basically cut off all contact from players from the UK and beyond.

to me, i find it oddly annoying hearing someone have a talk in another language during game, which most foreign people are some what obliged to do for some reason. there's no need to ban the actual person, I'm pretty sure the mute button works perfectly fine..

Paladin
6 Oct 2008, 11:57am
If they speak in foreign language and insult you and you dont understand, how can you get this insult hurting you ? You don't even understand.

An insult is an insult, regardless of if it could be understood or not. One's tone or simply the timing or a name popping up means someone said something about you, and if they were complimenting you then they could simply do it in English, whereas in foreign language means they are probably saying something and attempting to get away with it.

Maxwelldon
6 Oct 2008, 01:40pm
An insult is an insult, regardless of if it could be understood or not. One's tone or simply the timing or a name popping up means someone said something about you, and if they were complimenting you then they could simply do it in English, whereas in foreign language means they are probably saying something and attempting to get away with it.
This has happened to me a few times. People talked in Swedish and in German while insulting me.. They lied straight at my face that they were complimenting at me and since I understood about half of their sayings, I just rewarded the few with kicks - they clearly understood the message and didn't try funny-business after that
Usually I just get along on mutes and kicks in foreign language issues and rarely have to pick on a ban

andre1028
6 Oct 2008, 07:55pm
I'm fine with foreign language on chat, but if it gets out of hand on the mic then I mute them and spam ENGLISH!/ANGLAIS! It really actually depends on the majority of people's language. If 75% of the people on the server at the time spoke a foreign language then I would be fine with it Vice-Versa