PDA

View Full Version : I Kissed A Girl!

Saxe
2 Oct 2008, 08:44am
Okay guys, I want your opinion about Kate Perry, is she a queer or is this lyric, I Kissed A Girl, a lyric with huge heteronormativity characteristics?

On one side she is reproducing the heteronormative hegemony by having her point of view at her heterosexuality, and hopes that her boyfriend can accept her flirt with homosexuality. Her associations with the female sex is typical for the heteronormativity: Cherry chapstick, cherry, chocolate, soft etcetera. She doesn't mention anything about women working as bricklayer, being sweaty or anything else which can destroy the usual conception of the female sexuality.

On the other side she is defining her sexuality as floating. She is neither an obvious queer nor heterosexual, and she acknowledges that she is challenging some structures. Her focus is her lust, and without a shame, she express that she wants both men and women. She refuses to be defined, and is rejecting the binary.

Discuss!

Lux
2 Oct 2008, 10:23am
And I liked it!

:partydance:

Really though she has a boyfriend but he is kissing girls.......probably not biosexual but I dunno............:confused1: Whatever floats her boat.

Repus
2 Oct 2008, 10:41am
This kind of thing just sells to little boys. Like youtubes most watched video Arvil Lavigne - girlfriend, and that one song that was played everywhere while ago at least here, that "i wanna have your babies" And that singer even said that it sells just don't remember the name. Just for money!

Suri
2 Oct 2008, 11:18am
It just a song. Why does it matter?

And she is a PK and just rebelling. If you don't know what a PK is just google it. Any one that can tell me what PK is can have a cookie.

[Strike]
2 Oct 2008, 11:18am
Stupid lyrics and bad song!!

LitKey
2 Oct 2008, 11:28am
It just a song. Why does it matter?

And she is a PK and just rebelling. If you don't know what a PK is just google it. Any one that can tell me what PK is can have a cookie.

Preacher/Pastor's kid?

I'll pass on the cookie.

Chobber
2 Oct 2008, 12:09pm
I dislike the lyrics, really - I think they are very "un-interesting" .. But the music is all right .. The worst thing about modern pop is that its the performer (and sometimes the lyrics) that sells - never is it the music of a song..

Thumbs down to everything that is defined as mainstream these days ... I dont get how it is "so great"!! Get some real music, ffs!

Saxe
2 Oct 2008, 12:42pm
I would say heteronormative as well. In her text universe, she is reproducing patriarchal stereotypes and suppression mechanisms with a veneer rebellion, which is actually nothing but a cloak for the phallus centred capitalism.

However, when I had the discussion with a friend earlier today, he proposed another perspective:

The queer thing was never her intention, because she was suffering from a false awareness, caused by a massive influence from media, school etcetera. But her lust is stronger than the hegemony. It is a taboo, but not a mistake. She's enjoying it! That's exactly accentuating the liberating in breaking away from the taboo.

The point is that she isn't asking her boyfriend for forgiveness, but rather just saying that she hopes it's okay with him. She doesn't want to give up on him, as she likes him, but she wants to be free to discover and explore more sides of herself, her sexuality and her gender.

The wrong/right part of the song, is exactly about her inner struggle, where the the internalised discourse is fighting her sexuality.

Again, lots of contradictions in her lyric. Another possibility is, that it's a cynical speculation aiming at both the heterosexual AND the queer marked. W00t.

Suri
2 Oct 2008, 01:12pm
Preacher/Pastor's kid?

I'll pass on the cookie.

LIT WINS!!!!

Saxe
2 Oct 2008, 01:19pm
LIT WINS!!!!

Quit being silly in my thread made of serious :crying:

Omar
2 Oct 2008, 01:24pm
I would say heteronormative as well. In her text universe, she is reproducing patriarchal stereotypes and suppression mechanisms with a veneer rebellion, which is actually nothing but a cloak for the phallus centred capitalism.

However, when I had the discussion with a friend earlier today, he proposed another perspective:

The queer thing was never her intention, because she was suffering from a false awareness, caused by a massive influence from media, school etcetera. But her lust is stronger than the hegemony. It is a taboo, but not a mistake. She's enjoying it! That's exactly accentuating the liberating in breaking away from the taboo.

The point is that she isn't asking her boyfriend for forgiveness, but rather just saying that she hopes it's okay with him. She doesn't want to give up on him, as she likes him, but she wants to be free to discover and explore more sides of herself, her sexuality and her gender.

The wrong/right part of the song, is exactly about her inner struggle, where the the internalised discourse is fighting her sexuality.

Again, lots of contradictions in her lyric. Another possibility is, that it's a cynical speculation aiming at both the heterosexual AND the queer marked. W00t.

Meh, i just thought that she made that song because the topic of the song is very common in general (and popular), every one is beginning to talk about their sexuality i they are bi or hetero, so that is why half the girls of my class listen to it, because they are a bunch of bisexuals.

btw, i cant say this in english, only in danish..... God ord forråd, siden hvornår fik du den så udvidet :).

Chobber
2 Oct 2008, 01:27pm
God ord forråd, siden hvornår fik du den så udvidet :).

Translated: "Great vocabulary, since when did you have such an extended vocabulary(?) :)."

Omar
2 Oct 2008, 01:30pm
Translated: "Great vocabulary, since when did you have such an extended vocabulary(?) :)."

My own translater IM SO HAPPY!!!! :birthday2::birthday:

Lux
2 Oct 2008, 01:36pm
If I was a preachers son I'd kill myself

Modgers1
2 Oct 2008, 02:35pm
Whoa whoa whoa...Off topic, but Saxe, where the heck have you been?? :w00t:

-Modgers

danger
3 Oct 2008, 04:51pm
She's hot that counts for something in this world

jeN
3 Oct 2008, 04:57pm
I think you're looking too far in depth to a song that has no depth or real meaning. It's a fun song, it's something a lot of young females do, whether for attention or because they enjoy it.

After "Ur So Gay" song, I don't think anyone should look to her songs for any kind of serious meaning. She's a young girl is just enjoying herself in the spotlight while she still has it.

LVG
3 Oct 2008, 05:04pm
thats song is annoying but i liked it!!!!

'BEANIE
21 Oct 2008, 05:06pm
X75mry1LcFg

XeNo
22 Oct 2008, 03:39am
She says it herself that the song was just a song based of a much older song, and that she has never actually kissed a girl.

It's a fucking song jeez. Do you think AC/DC was literally shook all night long? Or do you think they got some rest in at one point during the night for their big day tomorrow?

How about that for your next intelligent thread.

Saxe
22 Oct 2008, 03:53am
How about that for your next intelligent thread.

Aww, someone is a bit cranky this morning. Do you need a hug?

LitKey
22 Oct 2008, 04:25am
Aww, someone is a bit cranky this morning. Do you need a hug?

I thought his post was funny, even more so because he's right. Pretty pointless over-analyzation.

Daze
22 Oct 2008, 04:35am
Opinions cause debate, that's pretty much what a forum is about.

Without threads with different opinions this place would be a desert with the occasional tumbleweed rolling around.

Saxe
22 Oct 2008, 04:42am
I thought his post was funny, even more so because he's right. Pretty pointless over-analyzation.

Seriously, why so angry all of a sudden? If you found it pointless, go somewhere else.

It was meant as a joke, and even though you guys seemed to have missed that, there's no reason to get all pissed about it. I thought we were trying to promote a more friendly attitude..

LitKey
22 Oct 2008, 02:19pm
Seriously, why so angry all of a sudden? If you found it pointless, go somewhere else.

It was meant as a joke, and even though you guys seemed to have missed that, there's no reason to get all pissed about it. I thought we were trying to promote a more friendly attitude..

Because it was funny and I laughed at his post?

If anyone seems to be angry, it's you right now. Please don't get butthurt. =]

Saxe
22 Oct 2008, 02:33pm
Please don't get butthurt. =]

Butthurt? I think I am already :(

Dannen
26 Oct 2008, 04:12pm
It's pretty catchy....